• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Pistol shooters, what's next?

JoshPutman

Make tar and feathers great again.
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2020
Michigan
I was just wondering what all the pistol shooters on the Hide were looking to add to their collection this coming year.

I carry a full size 1911 in 45ACP daily, and have decided after trying several different plastic fantastics and ending up getting rid of them all, that I am sticking with the 1911 platform.

I've gone back and forth on a single or double stack 9mm, and I think I've finally settled on my next acquisition. A double stack Rock Island. I don't want to spend the coin on a STI or some other high dollar 2011 and decide I don't like it, so this fits the bill nicely.

I'd like to even get it milled for a red dot and jump into that pond.

So what are the rest of you looking at for the coming year?
Screenshot_20210809-194655_DuckDuckGo.jpg

If that’s what you like for a platform and are comfortable with it.... by all means carry on!

Currently sourcing parts for a red dot G43X.

Otherwise, the plan is to shoot what I have.

Reactions: acudaowner
Have a Wilson Combat 320 carry with action tune/trigger package coming.
It'll also get the manual thumb safety, so kind of a Wilson Combat M18.

As I, was also a 1911 guy, so I am used to and like the thumb safety. Trying out the plastic side of things as carrying 8+1 in this day and age just seemed a bit short, 17+1 seems more, "up to date" let's say.

If I don't like it but am fine with a full size grip, I'm going Wilson Combat EDC X9L with mag well, 18+1. Otherwise I'll look at their SFX9 or EDC X9 to get back to the 1911'ish side of things.

I'm not a collector of handguns. I'm a collector of handgun skill.

You all enjoy buying more and more expensive pistols. Or burning more money on gucci shit for the ones you have.

I'll just just keep getting more skilled with the few I have.
This is why I like shooting IDPA vs USPSA. IDPA sprouted out as on offshoot of USPSA when USPSA evolved into an equipment race. IDPA rules are organized into divisions for pistols that are likely be owned and carried by the average Joe. I bounce back and forth between an 8+1 1911 in the cooler months, and switch to the plastic G34 in the heat. A couple matches a year in the summer, we have a backup gun only match in which everyone shoots the small pistols. Surprisingly, a G26 doesn't give up as much performance to the larger guns as one would think. I just put good sights and trigger work into each pistol, and strive to stay proficient with each one. There are no safe queens in my safe. They are all just tools to me.

This is why I like shooting IDPA vs USPSA. IDPA sprouted out as on offshoot of USPSA when USPSA evolved into an equipment race. IDPA rules are structured divisions for pistols that are likely be owned and carried by the average Joe. I bounce back and forth between an 8+1 1911 in the cooler months, and switch to the plastic G34 in the heat. A couple matches a year in the summer, we have a backup gun only match in which everyone shoots the small pistols. I just put good sights and trigger work into each pistol, and strive to stay proficient with each one. There are no safe queens in my safe. They are all just tools to me.
Your impression of USPSA is outdated. Between Production, Carry Optics, and Single Stack you can use the same guns and equipment that you use in IDPA SSP, ESP, Carry Optics, or CDP and still be competitive if your skills are up to it.

My experience competing in both is that USPSA is a much more technical challenge and IDPA is nowhere near close to being tactical at least according to my shooting buddy who's done hundreds of entries as part of the state patrol swat team.

Planning to purchase my duty gun upgrade, a G17 Gen 5 MOS w/RMR, and start training on it (my first pistol red dot). Our range instructor is a red dot convert, and he’s generally been tough to please when it comes to the new hotness/fads. I figure there must be something to it, so I want to try it out for myself. I’m hoping to finish getting my pistol range cleared and usable, and hope to burn 3k+ rounds in 2022 through the RMR. If I like it, I’ll qual with it next year.

Planning to purchase my duty gun upgrade, a G17 Gen 5 MOS w/RMR, and start training on it (my first pistol red dot). Our range instructor is a red dot convert, and he’s generally been tough to please when it comes to the new hotness/fads. I figure there must be something to it, so I want to try it out for myself. I’m hoping to finish getting my pistol range cleared and usable, and hope to burn 3k+ rounds in 2022 through the RMR. If I like it, I’ll qual with it next year.
Dry fire your presentation until that dot shows up in front of your eyes no matter what.

Cover up the front of the lens to force you to focus on the target.

Reactions: Anb618
Put in an order for a Les Baer that I should get this year. Picked up a Wilson Combat a month ago, and will have my FN SPR barreled action back from the 'smith in a couple weeks, so that'll do me for a while. Guess I frontloaded my 2022 purchases.

I still enjoy recreational shooting between attempts to improve my efficiency.

There are three things I want to add to my collection this year:
  • Top ten in Carry Optics at the Ohio USPSA championship
  • Top ten in Carry Optics at the Michigan USPSA championship
  • Top twenty in Carry Optics at the Area 5 USPSA championship

I have purposely avoided competing for the simple reason that I become an overly-competitive asshole that takes it too serious for no good reason at all. I shoot OK.

Reactions: PDXGS
I have purposely avoided competing for the simple reason that I become an overly-competitive asshole that takes it too serious for no good reason at all. I shoot OK.
Yes, you should avoid it if it's going to make your life miserable plus likely get you told to not come back if it gets bad enough.

Fortunately, I can't remember the last time I saw someone behave inappropriately in the approximately 20 or so matches I do a year over the last three seasons.

Personally, I need a competitive outlet of some sort. Rifle competition, the way it's currently structured in this country, doesn't appeal to me. But USPSA hit a spot with me and it drives me to be better.

Dry fire your presentation until that dot shows up in front of your eyes no matter what.

Cover up the front of the lens to force you to focus on the target.
I agree 100% with this! Everyone thinks having a dot makes it easier and that is not the case unless you put the time in to perfect your draw. Just like shooting open, if your draw is off and you do not know how to drive the pistol, you will not shoot fast.

Your impression of USPSA is outdated. Between Production, Carry Optics, and Single Stack you can use the same guns and equipment that you use in IDPA SSP, ESP, Carry Optics, or CDP and still be competitive if your skills are up to it.

My experience competing in both is that USPSA is a much more technical challenge and IDPA is nowhere near close to being tactical at least according to my shooting buddy who's done hundreds of entries as part of the state patrol swat team.
I shoot the occasional USPSA match either in Single Stack major, or Production. The Open and Limited divisoins with their 50oz+ guns are fun to watch, but I see them as just range toys, not something that will likely be on your hip when out in society. I look at Open and Limited divisions like Top Fuel and Funny Car in drag racing. I'm more of the doorslammer kind of guy favoring Pro Mod and Pro Stock. Neither sport is tactically sound, but the main thing I get from both of them is maintaining good marksmanship while under time stress without having to spend over $1500 in my equipment.

Trying Glock 19 after long time 1911 guy. I really like it. Still love the 1911s.
Glock trigger is taking some getting used to but not terrible

Reactions: 308pirate
Yes, you should avoid it if it's going to make your life miserable plus likely get you told to not come back if it gets bad enough.

Fortunately, I can't remember the last time I saw someone behave inappropriately in the approximately 20 or so matches I do a year over the last three seasons.
I never behave inappropriately. I just suck the fun out of it for myself. I did the same thing with karate tournaments, motorcycle racing, car racing Or anywhere I “compete”. I’ve competed with handguns a few times, and actually placed well. Then talked myself back from going every week.

I enjoy shooting way too much to ruin it for myself. Again.

I shoot the occasional USPSA match either in Single Stack major, or Production. The Open and Limited divisoins with their 50oz+ guns are fun to watch, but I see them as just range toys, not something that will likely be on your hip when out in society. I look at Open and Limited divisions like Top Fuel and Funny Car in drag racing. I'm more of the doorslammer kind of guy favoring Pro Mod and Pro Stock. Neither sport is tactically sound, but the main thing I get from both of them is maintaining good marksmanship while under time stress without having to spend over $1500 in my equipment.

Absolutely.

You should try carry optics, with the 140 mm mags it's all the fun of open without the expense and hassle of it.

I started in production in 2019. Got a P-10F Optics Ready with an RMR late that year and gave CO a try in 2020. I never looked back after that.

Now almost all my pistols (including all my carry guns) have optics on them and the one that doesn't is going to get modified later on this year.

Trying Glock 19 after long time 1911 guy. I really like it. Still love the 1911s.

If you're handy, there are plenty of tutorials online about cleaning up most of the grittyness in them. They are stupid easy to work on.

buy the new timney trigger, that is a game changer
I've seen enough issues with them that I would stay away from them unless it was for a range toy.

Honestly, doing the following will give you a very manageable 4 lb trigger with a slight rolling break and 100% reliability and safety (Gens 1 - 4):
  • Deburr and polish all surfaces of trigger bar
  • Deburr and polish firing pin block
  • Install a 3.5 lb connector
  • Replace trigger spring with a 6 lb spring (1 lb heavier)
  • Keep OEM striker spring

Reactions: WB300 and Adam B
308pirate - would you be comfortable doing that stuff to carry pistol?
I like the idea of better trigger but it’s going to be my carry pistol

I've seen enough issues with them that I would stay away from them unless it was for a range toy.

Honestly, doing the following will give you a very manageable 4 lb trigger with a slight rolling break and 100% reliability and safety (Gens 1 - 4):
  • Deburr and polish all surfaces of trigger bar
  • Deburr and polish firing pin block
  • Install a 3.5 lb connector
  • Replace trigger spring with a 6 lb spring (1 lb heavier)
  • Keep OEM striker spring
Let's be honest, once the buzzer goes off you don't even notice the trigger weight. The only time I did with my Glock was long 50 yard plus shots and even then it didn't matter much.

Absolutely.

You should try carry optics, with the 140 mm mags it's all the fun of open without the expense and hassle of it.

I started in production in 2019. Got a P-10F Optics Ready with an RMR late that year and gave CO a try in 2020. I never looked back after that.

Now almost all my pistols (including all my carry guns) have optics on them and the one that doesn't is going to get modified later on this year.
Carry Optics has gotten a lot of traction in my area over the past couple of years. I'm still on iron sights with my 53 year old vision using corrective vision and still placing decently. I just call Carry Optics "Open minor" for the most part! The absolute flatest running one I have seen in a match is a Glock 19x by a fellow shooter. It's a G19 top end with a full size grip bottom end. You don't need sight radius in Carry Optics, so the lighter slide seems to settle down quicker.

I still have reservations about relying on a sighting system that requires batteries for a carry gun, though. I've seen too may optics puke in the middle of a match already. If I ever got into Carry Optics, it would have to be a Trijicon with the fiber optic illumination.

All my pistols get rotated into carry duty depending on the weather temperature. All of them have 3.0-3.5lb triggers and I don't have any reservations about the trigger pull being too light.

For those on the fence about the new Timney trigger for Glocks, give a Johnny Glocks competition trigger a try. I run one in my G34 and all the Glock internal safeties are still functional. Pretty much 90% of the pre-travel is gone.

I still have reservations about relying on a sighting system that requires batteries for a carry gun, though. I've seen too may optics puke in the middle of a match already.
I understand. I thought hard about that and came to two conclusions

1. Buy the most durable optic around. That's the Trijicon RMR. I would urge you to think twice about buying the RMR that depends on ambient light to work. It completely defeats the purpose. There is no better night sight than a red dot that automatically adjusts its intensity based on ambient light.

2. Learn how to make hits at reasonable self defense distances with the optic off (to simulate failure).

Optional: have back up iron sights visible at the very bottom of the lens.

For the record I have four Trijicon products (two RMRs and two SROs) with zero failures. The highest round count goes to RMR #1 and it's right at under 11,000 rounds. I also dropped an SRO-equipped pistol as I tripped on a fault line and fell. The pistol fell hard on gravel and the nicks on the SRO tell me it hit rocks on the way down. No loss of zero and works perfectly still.

Reactions: gigamortis
Let's be honest, once the buzzer goes off you don't even notice the trigger weight. The only time I did with my Glock was long 50 yard plus shots and even then it didn't matter much.

Agree on the trigger weight, but I do notice differences in how the trigger feels all the way to and through the break.

I have revolvers with 9 lb triggers that you would swear are easily in the 7 lb range because they are so buttery smooth.

The harsh wall on OEM Glock triggers is something I do not like and find difficult to shoot cleanly at speed. The minor changes I made to my 17 (particularly the RYG connector) change the wall from a hard break to more of a rolling break which is much easier for me to manage.

Reactions: Adam B
If you can, try shooting the following to get an idea of how much better stock/oem triggers have gotten on poly striker pistols:

HK vp9
CZ p10c
Sig p320
Walther PDP
Beretta APX

I'm of the "keep triggers stock for defensive pistols" school of thought.

Reactions: atomic41

Personally, I need a competitive outlet of some sort. Rifle competition, the way it's currently structured in this country, doesn't appeal to me. But USPSA hit a spot with me and it drives me to be better.
It's a ton of fun until you get tired of pasting targets for 3 hours for a minute and a half of trigger time.

Agree on the trigger weight, but I do notice differences in how the trigger feels all the way to and through the break.

I have revolvers with 9 lb triggers that you would swear are easily in the 7 lb range because they are so buttery smooth.

The harsh wall on OEM Glock triggers is something I do not like and find difficult to shoot cleanly at speed. The minor changes I made to my 17 (particularly the RYG connector) change the wall from a hard break to more of a rolling break which is much easier for me to manage.
I run a Ghost 3.3lb connector with my Johnny Glocks competition trigger bar. Just grind the overtravel stop tab completely off the Ghost connector, as overtravel stops on most any connector sometimes let the cruciform tab sneak underneath them after the bar drops down to let the striker loose. The JG competition kit comes with his ejector housing equipped with an overtravel screw anyway. The trigger pretty much sits at the wall with somewhat of a roll through break. 3.5lb pull from the center of the trigger shoe.

I've determined my pistol skills are seriously lacking, and so am putting some time and money into tuning myself up with my CZP01. It'll be going off to get milled for an RMRcc here in a couple weeks, and a new owb holster should be coming soon, that'll compliment the AIWB I'm using currently. Looking forward to becoming a bit more proficient with the gun I've got on me most of the time.

Solid goals man! Get after it!

I was just wondering what all the pistol shooters on the Hide were looking to add to their collection this coming year.

I carry a full size 1911 in 45ACP daily, and have decided after trying several different plastic fantastics and ending up getting rid of them all, that I am sticking with the 1911 platform.

I've gone back and forth on a single or double stack 9mm, and I think I've finally settled on my next acquisition. A double stack Rock Island. I don't want to spend the coin on a STI or some other high dollar 2011 and decide I don't like it, so this fits the bill nicely.

I'd like to even get it milled for a red dot and jump into that pond.

So what are the rest of you looking at for the coming year?
View attachment 7773536
The benefit to buying a high end gun is you’ll get your money back out of it if you don’t like it. You won’t on a Rock Island. Just a consideration.

I personally don’t like the 9mm in the 1911 platform. It’s just weird. Prefer the Beretta 92, Hi Power, S&W 3rd Gen autos, etc.

Reactions: Adam B
If the right deal comes along...
Agner M80
S&W 52
Sako Tri-Ace
Sig P210 SSTGT
S&W 952

I like the SA-35, but the original HI-Powers I’ve shot and worked on had better fitment of the muzzle to the slide than my example of one SA-35.

I like it, but almost every other stock 9mm I own outshoots it at 25 and 50 yards by a pretty significant amount.

I thought it was the sights, but the Ransom rest confirmed it. Even with match ammunition.

I still consider it a solid buy at MSRP.

Reactions: Highbrass