• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors pistol shooting and bifocals

spotswood

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
Florida
How do you shooters that wear bifocals set up your glasses.
My normal glasses for shotguns and scoped rifles have a lower bifocal.
If I shoot my pistols I have to raise my head to get the front sight in focus then can barely see the target due to it being blurry.

My one friend has inverted his bifocals and they are on the top so he does not have to raise his head and can move down range with his head angled low.

My shooting glass company (Decot) suggested for short range pistol to place a lower soft bifocal that extends higher up just on the lens of the dominant eye and leave the don dominant eye with a normal bifocal.
For long range pistol and iron sight rifles they suggest a normal low bifocal for the non dominant eye and for the dominant eye to invert the bifocal and place it on top.
For scoped rifles my normal glasses work great and the scope corrects any deficiency.

What works best for you guys that deal with this?
I just can't see myself running through a course shooting pistols and iron sighted rifles and changing glasses. No way is that going to happen.
Thanks

Re: pistol shooting and bifocals

Accepting that everyone has different eye issues, I would offer the following. I was having the same issues and had some custom shooting glasses made. Lo and behold, I ended up at the range and forgot all of my eye pro. The only thing I had was some $15 drug store readers at a 1.5+ magnification. I put them on strictly for the protection and I can actually see my front sight and the target. They work with my long guns as well. Probably just me but give them a try.

I've been fighting this problem forever. With my progressive bi-focals, I must look through the bottom of my glasses to make the front sight sharp. This is mostly a problem during group shooting at 25'. For this I have been using a Merit "disc" stuck to my glasses lens, kinda like a peep sight. For action shooting I just shoot as best I can. I've looked at having another set of sunglasses made, same problem plus my prescip will not work with wrap around style glasses.

I feel your pain. Every time we qualify my partners laugh at "Grandpa" having to tilt his head back to focus on the sights. Still can outshoot most of 'em.

I've read about these but have never tried them.
Try this link: http://www.hansenseagleeye.com/

I have one mag on the top of my dominant eye to focus on the front sight & nothing on my off-dominant eye. Shoot both eyes open, sharp FSP and sharp target. Takes a little practice, but IMHO it is better than blurry targets.