• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pistol suppressors/ silencers? One and done?

BigBlastin300win

Private
Minuteman
May 30, 2013
Boise, ID
Looking for a really good first pistol suppressor. I would like it to be able to handle 9mm-45 or 10mm. Anyone have any experience in this field? I've been seeing some pretty good suppression from OSS and dead air (even like gemtech since it is local). All I want is low decibels and good/great accuracy. All I have right now in terms of pistols I can thread are 5.7, 9mm, 10mm and some revolvers (38, 44mag). Mainly just trying to run the semi autos right now. I'd love to hear some insight from people who have used or put pistol cans to the test. I realize for the 5.7 i will have to go to a .22 cal can which im not looking for at this point. Price is not an issue just looking for light weight, not crazy long, and good accuracy or suppression.

Rugged Obsidian 45...

Why would you thread a revolver? Blast escapes between the cylinder and forcing cone, eliminating the point of trying to suppress a revolver. The ONLY revolver worth suppressing is an Nagant M1895 revolver because it's a gas-seal design. Other than that, don't waste your time trying to suppress a revolver...This isn't Hollyweird where suppressors on revolvers actually work.

If you have a 1/2x28 piston, you can you use the Rugged Obsidian 45 on both 9mm and 5.7x28.

If you are going to shoot suppressed on a rimfire, buy an actual rimfire can. As for rimfire cans, get the Dead Air Mask HD.

The obsidian seems pretty hard to beat. The only down side is that it's kinda heavy. You'll never need anything else though.
They're really not that heavy. They seem heavy on paper, but in person, they balance REALLY nicely! My stamp should be coming back anytime now for mine, but I handled a few of them before purchase, and they balance VERY well on a full-size handgun...And even on a compact & sub-comp .45 with 230's in the mag (heavier ammo).

But you're 100% right, they're SUPER tough and durable and robust. For handguns and even some rifle cartridges (with barrels 16" or longer) it's the true "one & done" beast (as far as pistol cans, PCC's, and straight-wall cartridges). If I ever buy/build a .350 Legend (probably buy a Ruger Ranch 16" threaded), I know what can I will be using on it. 👍🏼

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky59
I own GA Revolution in 9mm and .45, a Silencerco Octane in 9mm, a Hybrid .46 and Omega 9k.
BUT for a first I would also recommend the Rugged Obsidian, it is the best out there right now.
Also Dead Air Mask for a rimfire, it is my favorite.

Reactions: BigBlastin300win
Rugged Obsidian 45...

Why would you thread a revolver? Blast escapes between the cylinder and forcing cone, eliminating the point of trying to suppress a revolver. The ONLY revolver worth suppressing is an Nagant M1895 revolver because it's a gas-seal design. Other than that, don't waste your time trying to suppress a revolver...This isn't Hollyweird where suppressors on revolvers actually work.

If you have a 1/2x28 piston, you can you use the Rugged Obsidian 45 on both 9mm and 5.7x28.

If you are going to shoot suppressed on a rimfire, buy an actual rimfire can. As for rimfire cans, get the Dead Air Mask HD.
Good call didn't even think about that and yeah I don't think id ever thread the revolvers as I love them too much too chop them up : )

I recommend the Rugged Obsidian 45.
I like mine very much as it can be used on 45ACP, 9mm and 22LR platforms.
I know the Obsidian has 17-4PH stainless baffles, and they can go in a sonic cleaner, but I still wouldn't recommend running it on .22LR or rimfires... They're just too dirty, and too much leading. I'd stick with the centerfire supersonic cartridges for the Obsidian, and then later buy a dedicated rimfire can like the Dead Air Mask HD for the rimfire guns. That's what I did.

I've got a Dead Air Mask HD for rimfires. A Rugged Obsidian 45 for my pistols. Dead Air Nomad-LT for hunting & precision rifles and large magnum cartridges. And a Dead Air Sandman-S for my AR's in various cartridges. Next I'm going to get another Sandman-S (Mil contract FDE) just for a dedicated .300 BLK can.

Reactions: RTV
You should read up on it. Good to go on .458
I’ve shot 45-70 through one. Just need the correct endcap

Pics on a 1911 and a 45-70

Attachments

• 8EAE97D3-4554-449A-A987-3137E00A02E5.jpeg
    8EAE97D3-4554-449A-A987-3137E00A02E5.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 113
  • BC51D056-E67D-4947-9AD1-4123F3383DA0.jpeg
    BC51D056-E67D-4947-9AD1-4123F3383DA0.jpeg
    446.8 KB · Views: 104
Well a little impulse and probably not enough research but I pulled the trigger on an obsidian 45....super stoked. Thanks for all the input. I looked into and researched a bunch of different cans. Mainly it came down to the manufacturer, full auto/belt fed rated, warranty, and where the "restricted" part of the can is oriented. Now time for threaded barrels and suppressor height sights. Hopefully I made the right move I'm always so unsure about can's. Now I kind of want to buy my 1911 back :)

Reactions: Holliday
I found a gen 1 octane 45 for $399 shipped to my FFL over a year ago, so I went with that. But I agree with the above posters, a Rugged Obsidian 45 is the best pistol can on the market.

Reactions: FuhQ
Well a little impulse and probably not enough research but I pulled the trigger on an obsidian 45....super stoked. Thanks for all the input. I looked into and researched a bunch of different cans. Mainly it came down to the manufacturer, full auto/belt fed rated, warranty, and where the "restricted" part of the can is oriented. Now time for threaded barrels and suppressor height sights. Hopefully I made the right move I'm always so unsure about can's. Now I kind of want to buy my 1911 back :)
Order a KKM barrel now. Current wait times are +4 months

You should read up on it. Good to go on .458
I’ve shot 45-70 through one. Just need the correct endcap

Pics on a 1911 and a 45-70

lol did you seriously just take two random pics from their website and use that as evidence that the Omega 36m can be used on .45 cal firearms?

anyways this is from the manual on the 36m found here:

"The Omega 36M is a light, compact, modular centerfire rifle suppressor, with the versatility to use on magnum rifles, 9mm pistols, and subguns. The Omega 36M is full-auto rated and is compatible with a wide range of ammunition including centerfire rifle cartridges from 22 Hornet to 338 Lapua Magnum, and centerfire pistol cartridges up to 9mm."

You won't regret the Obsidian 45... It's one of the best pistol cans on the market. It's right up there with the Dead Air Ghost 45M and Dead Air Wolfman.

Just talked to my workmate.
I was mistaken. His can is a 46 not 36.
I stand corrected, my apologies everyone. Coulda swore his was the modular but I guess not.

You will love it. Mine has been awesome!

Rugged Obsidian 45...

First google answer to " can you suppress a revolver" , at least dig down and choose one at the bottom. Or just copy and paste the link to save yourself from spending time typing. :rolleyes:

I can think of a few reasons I would want a suppressed revolver :unsure:

Last edited:
I just put an Obsidian 9 in jail. I contemplated the Obsidian 45 but realistically, 9mm is what I shoot 99.5% of the time. So I saw no need to get the 45.

I just put an Obsidian 9 in jail. I contemplated the Obsidian 45 but realistically, 9mm is what I shoot 99.5% of the time. So I saw no need to get the 45.
I had the same dilemma but at the last minute went for the 45. I figured it would be my only pistol can, so I opted for more versatility.

93D1A137-B621-4FA2-A4DE-DE1BFB44EE5C.jpeg

Last edited:

First google answer to " can you suppress a revolver" , at least dig down and choose one at the bottom. Or just copy and paste the link to save yourself from spending time typing. :rolleyes:

I can think of a few reasons I would want a suppressed revolver :unsure:
It's just as easy when I knew the answer off the top of my head... I've been playing with guns my entire life. It's pretty common knowledge.

That being said, if you're referencing the OP, and not my response, then I'd agree... Had he done a quick Google search, before asking, he would have gotten his question answered without having to post it.

I had the same dilemma but at the last minute went for the 45. I figured it would be my only pistol can, so I opted for more versatility.
Same reason I went with the .45...Versatility. Because I only plan (for now) on just the 1 pistol can, because I honestly don't shoot pistols much, I'm more of a rifle guy. I just wanted to be able to make ALL of my pistols quiet when I shoot, so the Obs 45 was more versatile.

Also, I do plan on getting a .350 Legend in the future, just to tinker with (I like trying new/weird/wildcat cartridges) so figured the 45 would be a bit more forgiving with pressures in the rifle cartridges that it's rated for, and the .45 vs .36 diameter bore won't really make THAT much difference in sound.

I bought my first 3 cans a little over a month ago. Buy thrice, cry thrice. Right? Rugged Obsidian 45, Rugged Oculus 22, and YHM Resonator R2 so all my bases are covered. I did a ton of research before buying and all signs pointed back to the Obsidian 45 for a pistol/modular can. I plan on keeping it at home on my CZ Scorpion and it'll play around on my Staccato and CZ P10c. Will also probably use in in the woods on my .350Legend bolt gun during deer season. Rugged told me .350Legend would easily be hearing safe out of a bolt gun (can't say if it'd be the same for AR platform)

I only have experience with an Obsidian 9. Very Solid, they also stand behind their own with an unconditional warranty.
Yeah, I've heard their warranty is absolutely phenomenal, that's just another reason why I went with the Obsidian 45 for my pistol can. My other 4 cans are all Dead Air, because they're amazing products with phenomenal warranty and customer service, as well.