• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pistol suppressors

_shawn_

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2011
Ft worth, tx
I have a few rifle cans but I don't know anything about pistol suppressors and want a suppressor for my pistols. Ideally it would work on 9mm and 10mm. I have a m&p 2.0 getting tricked out and a 2011 that I ordered a threaded barrel for. The plan is to add a 10mm to my collection soon and possibly a couple more random pistols that'll either be 9mm, 10mm or 40 cal

I have a few rifle cans but I don't know anything about pistol suppressors and want a suppressor for my pistols. Ideally it would work on 9mm and 10mm. I have a m&p 2.0 getting tricked out and a 2011 that I ordered a threaded barrel for. The plan is to add a 10mm to my collection soon and possibly a couple more random pistols that'll either be 9mm, 10mm or 40 cal
Thunderbeast has their fly 45. Would work for your needs. I don't have their pistol cans yet but when I eventually do it will be theirs. I love my 22td and ultra 7 from them.

Reactions: Yondering
Get a 45 can. TBAC is super, and don't forget about the rugged obsidian.

Something that is modular and can handle a few rifle calibers ( 300 BO, 350 legend, etc) is the way to go. Some will even take 45-70.

9 in a 45 can is almost the same reduction as 9 in a 9mm can. 45 in a 9mm can…not so much.

ZY

IMG_4477.png

Something that is modular and can handle a few rifle calibers ( 300 BO, 350 legend, etc) is the way to go. Some will even take 45-70.

9 in a 45 can is almost the same reduction as 9 in a 9mm can. 45 in a 9mm can…not so much.

ZY

View attachment 8138106
TBAC fly 45 will handle 45-70 as well.

Reactions: ZY100
Rugged Obsidian 45 is a great can, and Dead Air makes awesome pistol cans as well; I have both. I would really like to try a TBAC pistol can one day.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Thunderbeast Fly45 or Rugged Obsidian 45. I have an Obsidian 45. Great can.

IMG_2528.jpegIMG_2527.jpegIMG_2526.jpeg

Last edited:
I've got the Obsidian9, Obsidian45, and Fly 9 in my inventory at the moment. (A Fly 45 is on order.) All are worthy of recommendation. The TBAC can has a significant weight advantage and carries a substantial cost penalty; choose accordingly.

While I'm not in favor of spending more money than absolutely necessary, I think there may be an advantage to buying both a 9mm and .45 suppressor - the "short" configurations of the aforementioned smaller-bore cans are about 2" shorter and ~2 oz lighter than the "short" configs of their bigger brothers. Whether that's worth another $1k+ is a personal matter. There's absolutely nothing wrong with buying only a .45 can and running it on everything.

I too run a SiCo 45 can. Suppressed pistols are fun for a few range trips but then you say screw that and just stick it on a PCC.

So my .45 suppressor stays in my scorpion. If I was too start over I would have bought a 9mm K can.

I too run a SiCo 45 can. Suppressed pistols are fun for a few range trips but then you say screw that and just stick it on a PCC.

So my .45 suppressor stays in my scorpion. If I was too start over I would have bought a 9mm K can.

The only pistol suppressor in my inventory is a SiCo Octane 45HD. Wife got it for "free" with her Omega when they were doing their BOGO deal.

Works for what we need it to do and versatile.

IMO suppressed pistols are a novelty, not practical for most applications except for creating smiles at the range. I wouldn't overthink a pistol suppressor too much, unless you have pretty specific objectives for it.

Reactions: smcfarland
One thing I will throw into the mix... Griffin has a mounting system that works with numerous different brands of pistol suppressors. They have the Cam Lok and the EZ Lok. I own and have used both and for general use I would HIGHLY recommend the EZ Lok for any pistol suppressor.

What it solves is the problem of having a variety of pistol barrel threads. Also it locks up a lot tighter than just regular direct thread.

So if you have a Sig with some kind of left hand thread, and you have something else with a 1/2x28 and so on and so forth, you don't have to purchase a piston for each, and also you don't have to break the can down and swap pistons every time you want to swap hosts.

They get 5 gold stars for the EZ Lok.

Reactions: AMGtuned
Agreed with the back half of your statement, but I wouldn't bury that value in the category of "novelty". Having fun at the range is pretty dang important.

True - arguably the most important thing we do with our firearms!

I guess my point is that I don't think pistol suppressors are really worth overthinking - they function and perform pretty similarly. Unless you have a very specific use in mind where you want a light and/or short suppressor (the TBAC Fly 9's look awesome), I'm just not sure how much different most pistol suppressors are. However, maybe this is my complete ignorance, I'm not a huge pistol guy.

In my mind I think there's more nuances that are worth considering when it comes to rifle suppressors. But again this could just be my own ignorance.

Reactions: E. Bryant

ZY

View attachment 8138106

well- technically, after you shoot a 45cal out of a 9mm suppressor - things get very quiet (after the cursing dies down)

Reactions: 30calDeath

I guess my point is that I don't think pistol suppressors are really worth overthinking - they function and perform pretty similarly. Unless you have a very specific use in mind where you want a light and/or short suppressor (the TBAC Fly 9's look awesome), I'm just not sure how much different most pistol suppressors are. However, maybe this is my complete ignorance, I'm not a huge pistol guy.

In my mind I think there's more nuances that are worth considering when it comes to rifle suppressors. But again this could just be my own ignorance.
For a pistol can back pressure matters a whole lot. Getting peppered in the face every time you pull the trigger sucks.

Also weight and other design features of the suppressor AND the host can mean either a very reliable host, or a not at all reliable host. Jamming the pistol every other round is not a good time.

In other words it's extremely important before going on a year long wait--only to be disappointed/or extremely happy-- to ask the right questions before you buy. The problem is, most newbies (to suppressors) don't know what those questions are. Believe it or not, forums like this and others provide a ton of valuable information. In ways the newbies are putting their trust in all of us, at least for a while.

As far as 'practical' use, it just depends on the end user. For example for critter control they can be the perfect tool.

I have the CGS MOD9 FS, Obsidian 45

my next pistol suppressor will be the Lithium 9. Short 6", light 6oz and suppression is on par with the CGS per Pew science

Reactions: NateSavannah
I have the obsidian 9 on a gen 3 g17 and I gotta say...it's the least used, least enjoyable can I own. Don't misunderstand, it's beautifully quiet it's just not uber practical, at least for me. I feel if it was on a sub gun I'd definitely use it more. If range trips with buddies are frequent then perhaps it's worth the wait. I've put maybe 2 mags worth through it. It's currently not even on the pistol.

With that said I also understand getting a can just to have one.

I mostly want the can just to have 1 and I'll probably end up with a pcc at some point. I've been eyeing a scorpion for awhile.

Was not aware of tbac making pistol cans. I have 2 ultra 7's and love them so I'll check out the tbac. Lots of folks talking about the obsidian so I'll also check out that 1 and the others mentioned.

So are the heavier rounds that have been mentioned required to make the gun run reliably? I usually roll my own and have been running 124's lately but I was running 147's before that and occasionally run Winchester white box when I'm being lazy

Reactions: Jcarpenter223
I mostly want the can just to have 1 and I'll probably end up with a pcc at some point. I've been eyeing a scorpion for awhile.
Make sure whatever you get has various mounting options. On a PCC you will NOT need a booster. The booster assembly is for tilt action barrels. PCCs have fixed barrels. Not saying you can't do whatever but just make sure you have options before you buy.
So are the heavier rounds that have been mentioned required to make the gun run reliably? I usually roll my own and have been running 124's lately but I was running 147's before that and occasionally run Winchester white box when I'm being lazy
No, definitely not 'required'. Reliability is more a function of the host involved and the weight of the can. For example in really general terms a Glock has (intentionally) a bit looser of tolerances, so when you hang a heavy can off the barrel it can cause binding issues. By no means is that universal to all Glocks, but it's something to look at.

When you shoot subs out of a 9mm can it's very very quiet. With supers it still functions just fine, but it will be substantially louder.

Generally speaking 'reliability issues' relating to ammo happen when people load ammo that is very weak. The general idea is to get something 'quiet' but sometimes it's so quiet that the gun won't cycle.

im a supress everything guy. not a big fan of suppressing pistols. so front heavy. so awkward. cumbersome.
got a cgs mod9sk. its a cool suppressor. its serviceable. can shoot .22 out of it. its small and light.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Yea.... Pistol cans are cool for like 2 range trips on handguns... Not very practical besides maybe hunting.

Pccs however pistol cans are an absolute riot.

The exception is 22lr family etc those are pretty legit supressed as a pistol imo.

It'd be cool if you could buy the fly 9 in short config only and save a few bones.

I never use the long extension on my obsidian 9- not even on carbines.

You're making a solid point. The sound-reduction performance of a modern suppressor is largely limited by the unlocking behavior of the host pistol (striker bad, hammer good; lots of rearward barrel/slide travel prior to link-down better yet). Shopping thus is more about things like price, weight, workmanship, and customer service.

Reactions: kthomas