• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Piston Carbine by Arnold Dew of ADC...nice

Blaster4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2005
Virginia
www.teamblaster.net
I have an old friend that stopped by from NC on his way north to visit with family and he brought along a AR. OK...that's cool. He said he wanted me to shoot it and see what I thought.

Today I went and shot it along with my trusty Colt 6920 (which is all decked out in it's new Magpul goodies). I had some new Pmags that I wanted to run for fit and function as well.

Now I havent been one to think I actually needed a piston AR...I'm not that cool anymore and most of my training these days is with SMG's and Shotguns with some pistol sprinkled in.

So I was open to see what the piston would feel like against my 6920. I'm no door kicker so my testing was just run a bunch of double taps at a echo 50 yards away.

so my impression of the ADC piston is

1) recoils is not as soft as the 6920 but for some reason I could stay on target easier.

2) just as accurate as my 6920

3) overall was heavier towards the front but my 6920 is not tricked out (MOE handguard)

4) the empty cases were much cleaner from the ADC...the 6920 cases were pretty much full of carbon.

5) the ADC piston gun was cool to the touch everywhere except the gas block...and that was hot...like for real hot.

Out of the 300 rounds of Hornady steel cased training ammo I had ZERO malfunctions in either weapon. My new Emags ran perfect as did the 20 round Pmags...but I expected that.

So it was a short range session and not a 2000 round carbine class but I did like the ADC.

Anyone else have one of these ADC piston uppers and if so do you like it? I tried to look up some info and it appears that he sells uppers.

I'll get some pics up...I know that's important...lol

Respectfully,

--KJ

Re: Piston Carbine by Arnold Dew of ADC...nice

To bring this thread to life, I've got a 11.5" ADC upper. After shooting a 10.5" HK 416 back in 2005, I immediately wanted one. A few years later I heard about Arnold Dew developing piston uppers using top quality components and he'd gotten some design tips from Larry Vickers. I like some things about the ADC uppers better than the 416, such as the fact that they use off they shelf AR bolts. They may not be as durable long term but I've got plenty of spares. Anyway, Arnold uses chrome lined mil-spec BCM barrels in his uppers and the gas block, piston, piston cup, and bolt carrier are made to his specs. It's all top quality.

There isn't much info on them out there because Arnold never got his website put up. Last I heard he was working on .308 uppers. I only put 240 rounds through my upper but it was flawless. The nice thing is that the gas plug has two settings, one for commercial ammo and one for NATO pressure so you can tune the rifle to the ammo. Overall, I think it's one of the best piston systems on the market, if not the best. My 11.5 upper with Daniel Defense lite rail only weighs 4 oz more than a non-piston 11.5" upper.

Re: Piston Carbine by Arnold Dew of ADC...nice

Hey KJDrake and drummer,

Thanks for the post, I have worked hard on my piston system,I am still building them but in the past as a part time have only been able to keep up with the demand here at Fort Bragg/Fayetteville.
I have finally taken the plunge to devote a full time position to my gun work and upper builds. I have also been working on a rather unique DI system that I will be building into some kick ass 308 uppers.Im still blasting away with my piston 308, but need to get some more rounds through it before im satisfied its good to go.
I have just put a web site up, but it needs a little tweaking, but its up and runnin, check it out and let me know what ya think. " adcustomuppers.com " I have allot of things going on and looks like im on the right path here in Fayetteville/Fort Bragg, also been building some nice bolt guns that have proven great results with some of the professionals here!!

Let me know if I can be of help with anything that came out of my shop its 100% guaranteed !!!!!!!!!......Thanks...................AD