• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing pix before/ after bushing bolt & pin, $ correction

WCW308

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2008
Central Idaho
I have a new to me / previously owned 22-243 (Rem 700 action) that was cratering primers. I posted pix earlier & received info here from other SH members-thanks....follow-up--

I sent the bolt to Gre-tan Rifles to have the firing pin hole bushed-the price to do so was $57.00. I had the re-worked bolt back in my hands exactly 1 week after sending it to Greg in CO. I also had him replace the factory pin/spring with his own set. The tip of the replacement pin is substantially smaller than factory. Here are photos to show before & after. My target "after" (top target photo) had 1st 2 strike higher with the next 5 touching, so I think it was worth the job. Also, after bushing job, bullets struck about 2" higher on target with same exact load-surprising. .22-243, Lapua Brass, CCI BR2, 44.0g RL-22, 75g. A-Max
150 yds prone. No chrono work as yet. I liked this rifle when I bought it and & now liking it more...

primerprior.jpg

primerafterbushing.jpg

bushinginstalled.jpg

afterbushing.jpg

boltprior.jpg

beforebushing.jpg

Re: pix before/ after bushing bolt & pin, $ correction

Great info and a BIG +100 on Greg with GreTan, he's a hell of a nice guy with outstanding service and turnaround time.

That before picture tells it all...and answers previous questions here about what pierced primers do to a bolt face. JMHO

I spoke w/ Greg & he said the pin tip is .068". The new, smaller pin & hole cause primer to fire hotter, thus the 2" higher group. Think the bushing captures the pin when it travels forward, so that it travels in a straight line. Less variation = uniform hit = better accuracy. Makes sense to me, anyway. Now just need Greg to make a mirage dispersion tool...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WCW308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....Now just need Greg to make a mirage dispersion tool... </div></div>

Yea, closely followed by the wind control tool
grin.gif

Seriously, looks like you did well with the conversion.