• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Place to shoot .308, 500-1000yds in VA

J-ROD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2011
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Well I've done the wheretoshoot.org thing, emailed & called but nothing really promising. I can't get in touch with anyone at Cavalier (hear it's a decent waiting list too) and I am just outside the Quantico 60 mile radius thing (Mechanicsville) and fwiw I'm non-military.

Anywho, I am for sure willing to pay someone to shoot at these yardages, hopefully within a ~2-3hrs drive (1.5hrs now to shoot 250yds). It doesn't need to be anything fancy, just a safe place to shoot, any field would work. I've got my own targets, range finder, shooting junk, yada yada yada and clean up after myself.

Thanks in advance for any help,

-Jarrod

Re: Place to shoot .308, 500-1000yds in VA

Well, if you want to shoot in some matches...check out the Norfolk County Rifle Range (NCRR) website for further info. The NCRR has a group that shoots monthly (except winter months)at Blackwater (Moyock, NC, just across the VA/NC border) that anyone can attend. It's very cool just to go and shoot a match there if you have never been. They normally shoot using NRA High Power Rifle rules, but they will pretty much let anyone shoot as long as you follow basic safety rules. Send me a PM if you want more details.

Hello, I`m not sure where you are at, but I am in southwest Va. We get together every other weekend (weather permitting) and have a funshoot. We have a few places to shoot, one place allows about 1400yds, another place to about 2800yds. We meet about 8:00 or 9:00 and start shooting and then we cookout at 12:00-1:00 then shoot till whenever. NO ALCOHOL. I am in Abingdon,Va We already have steel targets. Contact me sometime.

I have shot with excaliber a time or twenty and we always have a great time. New comers are always welcome!

If you're 60 miles from quantico I'd say your best bet is to try and find someone who will sponsor you and go shoot there. Not much in the way of any rifle ranges in our neck of the woods. In fact I can't even think of a 100 yard range besides quantico or clarks brothers way out in warrenton.

Thanks for the PM's Excaliber and Lodi...I'll get out there soon enough...gotta get all my gear ready first.

Shredder58 has been working very hard to ensure I hit the range running...thanks for the countless e-mails and hour listening to me yada-yada on the phone!

NF1986, first off thanks for serving! My brother is a Marine and is gonna work on the shooting deal there for me. Problem is I am just outside the 60mile requirement by a few miles and I don't know how strict they are there.

The mileage restrictions are for membership, which they may or may not be willing to bend a touch. If you want, I can "sponsor" you as a guest, which has a due/fee of $10 if I remember correctly. As for the NRA and other comps, whether sanctioned or non, I have seen a LOT of non member showing up for those. Just keep aneye on the website calendar at www.quanticoshootingclub.com and whenever you wanna come out lemme know

I took a class at this location: http://www.peacemakernational.com/ It would be on the 3 hour side. They have a daily rate, and should have the 3-gun nationals in early Nov.

Just got into the .308 game and will also try and get a shooting buddy to get me into Quantico, drove past the range numerous times to visit customers.

Thanks for the link and the info! At this point 3hrs and a little cash/day don't phase me, I just want to shoot!

I work in DC but I have about 40 acres near Remington VA where I get my shooting done if your interested shoot me a pm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raven8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I work in DC but I have about 40 acres near Remington VA where I get my shooting done if your interested shoot me a pm. </div></div>

I'm in Arlington, that sounds like you have one hell of a commute

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shredder58</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, if you want to shoot in some matches...check out the Norfolk County Rifle Range (NCRR) website for further info. The NCRR has a group that shoots monthly (except winter months)at Blackwater (Moyock, NC, just across the VA/NC border) that anyone can attend. It's very cool just to go and shoot a match there if you have never been. They normally shoot using NRA High Power Rifle rules, but they will pretty much let anyone shoot as long as you follow basic safety rules. Send me a PM if you want more details. </div></div>

I didn't know about this. I just moved to newport news to go to school

I can vouch for excaliber. Great places to shoot and he might know a good gunsmith or 2.