• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Placement of buttpad when shooting prone?

targetterror

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2008
Boston, MA
Where are you guys putting the buttpad of the rifle when shooting prone (off a bipod if that changes anything). When I'm more upright, I put the buttpad into the pocket of my shoulder. But I'm pretty skinny and find that if I try to do the same when prone off a bipod, my back has to REALLY arch back and it feels very awkward.

I've been putting the buttpad on my collarbone. Obviously this doesn't soak up recoil as well, though limbsavers make that basically a non-issue. My concern is more with the recoil characteristics of that position - whether the rifle will behave more or less consistently depending on where the butt is placed.

Re: Placement of buttpad when shooting prone?

my butt pad is adjustable up and down and i shoot an AR style rifle so when shooting prone i loosen it up and let it ride wherever my shoulder pocket goes. The recoil is almost non-existant with a suppressor so weather it ends up on my collar bone, shoulder pocket, arm pit or deltoid, it seems to work out just fine.

i'd say find a spot that feels good when you crack one off and let it ride. if you need to have it at an awkward but stable place for a specific but rare shot, dont worry about it.

Your rifle is too high if you need to arch your back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your rifle is too high if you need to arch your back. </div></div>

This seems backwards to me. If the rifle is too high, then my shoulder must be too low, which in turn means my back is not arch. If my back is arched and my shoulder consequently higher up, then the rifle will be lower down in my shoulder.

Sounds like a possible eye relief issue or the scope is set too far forward. If your trying for full optic picture, you could be setting your strong-side shoulder back and down to bring your head forward.. and also the butt into your collar bone.

Try to make everything square. Strong-side knee in line with the rifle/barrel and shoulders square to rifle/barrel. Find a comfortable position prone and evaluate the sight picture.

Oh, I thought you were arching your back backwards so your head was higher.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TargetTerror</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where are you guys putting the buttpad of the rifle when shooting prone (off a bipod if that changes anything). When I'm more upright, I put the buttpad into the pocket of my shoulder. But I'm pretty skinny and find that if I try to do the same when prone off a bipod, my back has to REALLY arch back and it feels very awkward.

I've been putting the buttpad on my collarbone. Obviously this doesn't soak up recoil as well, though limbsavers make that basically a non-issue. My concern is more with the recoil characteristics of that position - whether the rifle will behave more or less consistently depending on where the butt is placed.</div></div>

I also have the same problem. I'm also skinny and have to usually put the butt pad right on my collarbone. It just seem really hard to find a "pocket" when we are all bone hahaha.

I put it on my collarbone. I may come out with a little bruising but I can do 0.25 MOA. You are probably arching your back due to your head position. I think you might be putting your stock right at the side of your face and letting your cheekbone be your cheek weld. I like to lay my head on the stock like a pillow. Give it a try an see if it works out.

To the OP:

I would recommend you to ask someone to take a picture of you behind the rifle in the prone position. I got great help from Boltripper. He spotted a few things just by looking at my picture, and by changing a few little things, I was able to mount the gun much better, no more "goose neck", and able to be very comfortably straight behind the rifle.

Little things cause great effect in shooting, believe or not, Boltripper told me to rise the comb up a bit, and it helped in great extend.

Dyl..

Being "Aerodynamic" myself I have lived this. It was also compounded by 10+ years of Shooting "leg up" via Highpower. I finally learned that getting square behind the rifle is key and throwing my right shoulder forward (right handed shooter) solved a couple problems.

A) it created a "pocket"
B) it got my trigger finger off the side of the stock
C) it made me use the front of my trigger finger to "press" the trigger straight back

Have you ever made a snow angel?

Roll over and do it on your belly, push ups work well too.

Line the gun up on the target.
Get down on your belly directly inline and behind the gun, spread your legs about 2'.
Sweep both arms around until your hands are under your chin.
(At this point some one should be able to cut you and the rifle in half and both sides would be equal)
Scootch your whole body Left (in line) so that the gun is lined up on your right ear.
Scootch forward until your shoulder is pre-loading the bipod.
The rifle will be in your natural "prone pocket" at this time.

From there it is a matter of adjusting UP and DOWN via the bag and the bipod to achieve the best cheek weld . All else remains the same and in line.

Cheers,

Doc

Reactions: ohaley

Doc,

That is some of the best, easiest to follow advice ive seen yet. Thank you for sharing!

Paulus

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Being "Aerodynamic" myself I have lived this. It was also compounded by 10+ years of Shooting "leg up" via Highpower. I finally learned that getting square behind the rifle is key and throwing my right shoulder forward (right handed shooter) solved a couple problems.

A) it created a "pocket"
C) it made me use the front of my trigger finger to "press" the trigger straight back

Get down on your belly directly inline and behind the gun, spread your legs about 2'.
(At this point some one should be able to cut you and the rifle in half and both sides would be equal)
Scootch your whole body Left (in line) so that the gun is lined up on your right ear.

From there it is a matter of adjusting UP and DOWN via the bag and the bipod to achieve the best cheek weld . All else remains the same and in line.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

Have you found a way to make this work for highpower/slung up as well? Or are you still "leg up" in that case?

WOW Doc, that is probably the best description for it I've ever hear, great visualization, I'm going to try it right now
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBrother</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Being "Aerodynamic" myself I have lived this. It was also compounded by 10+ years of Shooting "leg up" via Highpower. I finally learned that getting square behind the rifle is key and throwing my right shoulder forward (right handed shooter) solved a couple problems.

A) it created a "pocket"

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

Have you found a way to make this work for highpower/slung up as well? Or are you still "leg up" in that case? </div></div>

I can't do High Power prone configuration flat on my belly. The bipod takes the place of the elbow so I'm still on a "left side line" w/ Right leg up. If I have to shoot the bolt gun prone w/o a bag or bipod I use my left fist and sling as a mono pod w/ the butt on the deck. I still "lever" the rifle into my shoulder and roll my shoulder forward to plant the elbow if slung in conventionally.

Cheers,

Doc

All,

Any position requires a steady consistent conclusion, meaning, at its start, the position must be muscularly relaxed. This requires bringing the comb of the stock to the head, rather than head to stock, whch will thereafter, dictate much of the position's appearance, or how the position will be built-making the rifle/ground contact comfortable.

There are all sorts of artificial supports in addition to bone. The problem an inexperienced shooter has is in trying to make the position fit the support, rather than the support fit the shooter. If the shooter learns how to use the loop sling, later, the bipod support can be better understood, that's to say, the shooter will know when it has been adapted in such a manner as to allow for maximum muscular relaxation.

For informal F Class, sometimes I 'cheat' by using a chest pad made from a folded up movers' blanket. This can help restore head/neck alignment.

Greg