• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Places to Hunt Prairie Dogs

Longshot231

Four Star General
Minuteman
  • Mar 8, 2018
    I have a Remington 700 in .22-250. It has gone through a lot of upgrades and I still have few thousand rounds of ammunition.

I'd like to re-barrel it in 6.5 CM but don't want to let all the .22-250 ammo go to waste. So I got to thinking about taking a road trip out west to shoot prairie dogs. It would be a nice way to use up the ammunition before re-barreling the rifle.

Does anyone have any suggestions for places to perforate the prairie poodles?

I've read about a few places that provide lodging and places to hunt but some of those rates seem a little high to me. Yet, if I can go to a target rich environment the costs might not be a hindrance.

If I go, it might be around late August or September.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Target rich environment will be a tall order in the two months you mentioned. Any decent towns will be shot to pieces by then. It's best to go in the spring or early summer. The Rosebud Indian res. in South Dakota used to be good back in the mid 90's.

Target rich environment will be a tall order in the two months you mentioned. Any decent towns will be shot to pieces by then. It's best to go in the spring or early summer. The Rosebud Indian res. in South Dakota used to be good back in the mid 90's.

Well that sucks. There aren't enough groundhogs and coyotes where I live to use up all that ammunition.

I've read a few articles that said some of the more popular dog towns from back in the 90's were all shot out and populations reduced by plagues. Still, I don't know enough about it to still make a decision.

Looks like I might have to make plans for next spring based on what you say about the timing.

Thanks for helping.

Reactions: cornhusker86
    Not all grasslands allow shooting. And the spots where it's allowed have no prairie dogs anymore. Pawnee is an example. Designated areas only there thanks to idiots leaving shot up furniture and appliances.

Reactions: abn31c
    Not all grasslands allow shooting. And the spots where it's allowed have no prairie dogs anymore. Pawnee is an example. Designated areas only there thanks to idiots leaving shot up furniture and appliances.

That sucks for sure. I’ve seen that before and assholes like that give a lot of ammunition to the anti-gun and anti-hunting crowds.

We had a place NW of Sterling, CO where you would have been in Hog Heaven but the dogs got some kind of rupus poopus or cockcitytuous or plague or something, and all died. It took all of a week and they were gone. Much to the pleasure of the landowner.
    They poison them and we shoot them but they keep on coming on until some disease wipes them out.

I will look around and see if there are any big areas that will let you on to help them with a problem that crops up all the time around here.

Most, but not all, landowners are happy to have shooters in dog towns but always seek out and ask the landowner for permission before you bust a cap.

I will look around and see what is out there. FM

We had a place NW of Sterling, CO where you would have been in Hog Heaven but the dogs got some kind of rupus poopus or cockcitytuous or plague or something, and all died. It took all of a week and they were gone. Much to the pleasure of the landowner.
    They poison them and we shoot them but they keep on coming on until some disease wipes them out.

I will look around and see if there are any big areas that will let you on to help them with a problem that crops up all the time around here.

Most, but not all, landowners are happy to have shooters in dog towns but always seek out and ask the landowner for permission before you bust a cap.

I will look around and see what is out there. FM

Thanks for the help.

PM me if any landowners are interested and I’ll pass along my contact information.

Also, have a good 22 for those fools that are in close range. Iron sights work well.
    If I am going to go out and make a day of it I use an awning and portable shooting benches and a cooler filled to the top with coolie loolies and good glass for the ones out there a ways.
    It has gotten to be "Old Hat" for me but I am always ready for any new adventure. FM I will check it out and get back to you.

Lots of places here in Billing,MT almost all on public land. BLM will be free but state land is around 10$ I believe .

If you have OnX or any public land maps you can see which is which and it's pretty easy to tell where the towns are at. I snapped two areas around here. Basically look for big ass dead spots, or light tan areas. Then zoom in the check if there's pdogs there. In the last pic it's zoomed in and you can see it kinda looks like craters , that's all pdog towns.

I imagine this would work for almost anywhere. But if you decide to come up here let me know and if I'm off I'd be glad to show you around or I could always get you some maps with spots through email. , August and September are hot, but they're still up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190629-103602_onX Hunt.jpg
      Screenshot_20190629-103602_onX Hunt.jpg
      304.2 KB · Views: 53
    • Screenshot_20190629-103321_onX Hunt.jpg
      Screenshot_20190629-103321_onX Hunt.jpg
      198.1 KB · Views: 56
    • Screenshot_20190629-103612_onX Hunt.jpg
      Screenshot_20190629-103612_onX Hunt.jpg
      250.1 KB · Views: 59
    Then just to give you idea of what it looks like and the size here's a screenshot of a place I shoot that's covered in pdogs ...the link is a lame video I made of the same spot shooting a 15" gong at 1200. You can see some dogs popping up half way. Boring shooting clip

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190629-104659_onX Hunt.jpg
      Screenshot_20190629-104659_onX Hunt.jpg
      187.9 KB · Views: 53
    Then just to give you idea of what it looks like and the size here's a screenshot of a place I shoot that's covered in pdogs ...the link is a lame video I made of the same spot shooting a 15" gong at 1200. You can see some dogs popping up half way. Boring shooting clip
    Thanks! We need to start a Sniper’s Hide Safari Club:)

Reactions: 4066.5
    Thanks! We need to start a Sniper’s Hide Safari Club:)
    Hell yeah, I've only been up here for about 2 years so I'm still trying to learn the hunting spots for public land. But it's led me to visiting ALOT of public land, some shit but some are hidden gems that nobody seems to visit.