• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Places to live outside of Chicago?

Bryan27

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2007
Tennessee
I just had another interview with the company I already work for but in another department. If I get it, which I'm pretty sure I will get an offer, I'll be working in Chicago. I lived outside of the city about 17 years ago in the suburbs, a lot has changed since then and I don't even recognize the town I lived in back then when I was passing through about 3 years ago. That said, where are some decent places to live around chicago? I'm not wanting to live in the city, really don't care to live in the state of IL if I can keep from doing it. I've been told that Indiana is a much cheaper place to live and given what I know about the unfriendly climate for guns in the state of IL and chicago in particular I'd just assume not live there. Anyone have any recommendations on decent places to live in that area? Keep in mind I'm a single guy so I don't want to be living in a retirement village or anything, but I wouldn't mind living in a smaller town. I'm just looking for a middle of the road place that I could live for a few years and try to get promoted somewhere a little more to my liking.

Re: Places to live outside of Chicago?

I used to live in South Holland and Calumet city when I was a kid,and I know what you mean when you say it has changed, I never even seen a non-white person when I was growing up there, now it looks like India/Africa LOL , but anyway,they can have it and the taxes that go along with it. I got relatives that live in Shererville, Munster, and Dyer and they seem to like it alot. They all moved over from IL in the 90's cause IL was shoving it to them pretty hard on their taxes, another plus to living in Indiana is their gun laws are alot more gun friendly than Illinois

Start - St. John, Indiana.

Then check out Indiana towns along Rt. 30.
You'll want access to an interstate, either I-65 or I-80/94

If I could afford to sell my house I'd be looking in and around St. John.

I grew up in the South burbs near the border. Now I'm in Chicago and can't wait to get out.

I drive truck and deliver in and around Chicago quite a bit. I always say that if I owned Hell and Chicago. I would rent out Chicago and live in Hell. I will say they have cleaned it up quite a bit in the last ten years but wouldn't live there if u gave the place to me. I wouldnt get any closer than Aurora or Schaumburg.

question is where exactly do you have to get to for work? If it is right downtown you have a lot of options - the south shore electric runs into Indiana so if you lived along the route the daily commute would not be bad. Commuter trains also run as far as Harvard IL an actual rural town-the ride is fairly long but you are not driving/fighting traffic. If you are not going to an area served by the commuter railroads then driving is the only practical option and you need to be reasonably close to avoid an insane commute. Again the exact place in the city you need to be would be needed for useful advice.

Other question how often do you want to visit a range, what distance is important to you(300, 600, 1200 ?) how much $$ are you willing to put into range use privileges (300---550)

people make a big deal out of IL gun laws but what do they really stop you from doing? paying the fed to own a can or SBR? I do not see the value in that anyway. So you cannot carry, unless you are a frail old lady what are you worried about, you are much more likely to be injured/killed in a vehicle accident. I worked for years in the worst areas in the city and never had an incident, but sure as hell been in a lot of accidents.

I will PM my phone # and in a few minutes can give some ideas for places to check

I wouldn't be in one particular location, we have 4 locations in the city that I would be working between, but primarily one location that would be determined later on. 3 of the locations are within 2-4 miles of eachother and a couple miles east of midway airport. The 4th location, I believe, is off of I90 just west of the Indiana border.

As far as shooting goes and what would be important to have access to I'd just have to say I'll take what I can get. The Illinois gun laws and carry laws I find offensive, it's the idea behind it that would piss me off to no end. F.O.I.D card? No thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inogame</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Start - St. John, Indiana.

Then check out Indiana towns along Rt. 30.
You'll want access to an interstate, either I-65 or I-80/94

If I could afford to sell my house I'd be looking in and around St. John.

I grew up in the South burbs near the border. Now I'm in Chicago and can't wait to get out.</div></div>

I'll check it out. I lived in Naperville for 8-9 year and like the town, but Naperville=Illinois=Chicago=all the bs that comes with it. And it's a little bit high dollar for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan27</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 3 of the locations are within 2-4 miles of eachother and a couple miles east of midway airport. </div></div>

Sounds familiar, I work in that exact same area.

Congrats on the new gig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inogame</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan27</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 3 of the locations are within 2-4 miles of eachother and a couple miles east of midway airport. </div></div>

Sounds familiar, I work in that exact same area.

Congrats on the new gig.</div></div>

Well guys, I appreciate all the help. I got the call this morning with an offer. I wasn't able to accept the offer due to the cost of living and all that would be involved. 5 minutes after turning down the offer they called back with another offer for a little bit more money, enough to consider it and told me to think about it and get back to them later on today. I called my dad and was telling him about it when I got another call coming through from Virginia, I figured it was HR calling about the job offer. Turns out it was another job offer! I had interviewed about a month ago for a job in Virginia with the same company I work for, I had just figured that I didn't get the job or something. I just accepted the offer and should be in Roanoke sometime next week! Guess I'll have to start a new thread and bug the Virginia folks a little! It's certainly been an interesting morning.