• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Places to save some $: grocery/gas, insurance etc

atepointer

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    Something I've always done annually is a review of my expenses with a Wants and Needs column. Well this year my Needs column received a forensic audit and I've gone health insurance hunting as I was just hit with a 29% premium increase. Gulp. Went shopping and United Healthcare has a nice plan where I won't lose anything significant and can make the damage a 12% increase. I'm paid up through next week, but will likely finalize this new plan in the next few days. Mind you I'm still paying what amounts to an obscene luxury car payment, but it's less than I woulda been paying.

Winn Dixie and Publix are our 2 big grocery chains here in FL. Always bounced b/t both, but WD as of late has started to put on some amazing sales comparatively speaking and if you have their app they rack up and track your points. Took some nice coin off my grocery bill tonight. Plus if you want you can use those points for gas at several different flavored stations like Shell and Chevron. I know this can ebb and flow so Publix might be the hot ticket next month as they compete for consumers.

Figured some of the suggestions here might be regional like with grocery stores, but thought it could be constructive to have a thread where our necessities of daily living are addressed with possible ways to stretch the dollar. Never know we may even have people in industries who are true SME's and can point the Pit in the right direction for the ever increasing costs of life. I'd love to hear from anyone who may orbit any insurance industry just to hear the latest. My homeowners policy went up 31% for this year!

Last edited:
    I shop groceries at Wally World as much as possible. Better prices for sure. Bulk items, Sam's Club or Costco and they usually have the best gas prices. Sams Club credit card give 5% back on gas anywhere you buy it.

Appliances? Best Buy, they'll give you up to 18 months 0% financing.

Get your blow and fentanyl straight from the Mexico and you'll save a LOT.

I subscribe to all the perks programs. Ive got 650,000 Hilton Honors points ...need a place to go.

We like Costco as well because the quality to price ratio is very good. We have Winco stores by us and it seems like we can fill the cart and get out of the store under a $100 bill.

We also try and buy the least processed food as possible and cook a lot at home.

Us Bank Cash+ Card gives bigger cash back on Groceries and Gas. I think 5%.

You pick three options.

2 - earn 5%

1 - earns 2%

Everything else earns 1%

I love my capital One card I get the two for one miles and definitely use those points. I don't do a lot of food shopping at Costco it's mostly my household items most of my produce I buy from local farmers that's just one area I am willing to pay more for is fresh and local grown fruits and veg.

i prefer publix just because it's better laid out and quality at least seems better. i do have a WD discount card. in my small town $ general has a walmart like "super store" many of their generics compare well with others and seem comparable to major brand stuff. fresh foodstuffs hit and miss. my daughter saves enough at costco that i am thinking about joining it or sams. both a pretty annoying drive away.

Reactions: johnnycat
    well the food bank isn't the worst idea in the world for a bunch of different food . and while I have not tried it myself , I did date a girl many years ago who got off on coupon clipping or what ever you want to call it she turned two cars and one pickup load of groceries from 1,600 ish dollars in food and other items into a 30.00 trip to the store . Yes it was a pain in the but and we and her family did clip coupons for what felt like forever , yes a lot of the food was donated to the local food banks but that was crazy the shier amount of money one can save with coupons my father and my self were complete skeptics about the whole deal , but named brand items like Pepsi , Tyson , perdue chicken and not nugget mystery meat real chicken and beef loads of it and many other brand named items and yea of course some not so brand named items . I always figured if she could do it anyone can do it . the problem now is finding a store with the items in stock to buy that much . Best of luck with what ever you do .

that some serius money to save to turn around and buy gun stuff . :oops::oops:

i prefer publix just because it's better laid out and quality at least seems better. i do have a WD discount card. in my small town $ general has a walmart like "super store" many of their generics compare well with others and seem comparable to major brand stuff. fresh foodstuffs hit and miss. my daughter saves enough at costco that i am thinking about joining it or sams. both a pretty annoying drive away.
    I'm 40 plus minutes in traffic to Costco so my trips are well planned....mostly household goods in bulk a couple of times a year. WD and Pube-licks are very close which works well for me at 2 blocks away. We had a Sam's near AFB, but it closed a few years ago it's out near the Costco now. I do agree Publix has pretty solid quality, but our local WD has upped their game to compete with the GreenWise stores plus their push with a lot of crazy 2 for 1 and marked down on stuff like chicken and steak which was a welcome surprise to my freezer.

99 cent store or Dollar store for weird grocery stuff like some vegies/avacados or chinese bean sprouts/bamboo shoots/water chestnuts, etc. AND as a plus, the clientele makes walmart shoppers look like they're wearing their sunday best.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
    99 cent store or Dollar store for weird grocery stuff like some vegies/avacados or chinese bean sprouts/bamboo shoots/water chestnuts, etc. AND as a plus, the clientele makes walmart shoppers look like they're wearing their sunday best.
    The Dollar Tree has some good deals but not everything. There is one by me that is in a nicer area and the shoppers are pretty decent.

asian market for off the wall chinese,thai and indian stuff not available elsewhere. being old i do remember and miss S&H green stamps tom save for free stuff (some of which i still have 50yr later).

I'll suggest...
    If you are buying building materials, super, super shop around. Many times you can find better prices on better quality at your local lumber yards.

Here in Tampa, we generally buy all of our lumber from local sources

My wife and I got a Costco membership last year. We didnt renew it.

We didnt buy a single thing. Every time we made the 40 minute drive to buy stuff we always walked away because we didnt think the prices were good at all when you break it down. Meat prices were better at our local grocery store and I wasnt buying 6-10lbs at a time. Fruit prices werent great and I didnt have to buy a full flat. Frozen foods, not great. Etc...

Im not real sure where the deals are if you actually compare to the regular grocery store. I think Costco is fucking people who dont pay attention.

Dollar tree is a good place to get deals on SOME stuff. Gotta read the labels very closely on the food. Most of the canned goods other than campbell soup and Goya read in very fine print "product of China" or some other rather unsavory place.

Kroger has good stuff and will give you a Kroger discount card. Many good sales with the card. The Kroger branded groceries are usually very good quality.

Reactions: tomcatmv
    My wife and I got a Costco membership last year. We didnt renew it.

We didnt buy a single thing. Every time we made the 40 minute drive to buy stuff we always walked away because we didnt think the prices were good at all when you break it down. Meat prices were better at our local grocery store and I wasnt buying 6-10lbs at a time. Fruit prices werent great and I didnt have to buy a full flat. Frozen foods, not great. Etc...

Im not real sure where the deals are if you actually compare to the regular grocery store. I think Costco is fucking people who dont pay attention.
    I typically don't buy my fruits and veggies from Costco although I bought blackberries there once and were the best I have ever tried.

We buy things like pasta, olive oil, dog food, diapers, tires, clothes, tp and kleenex, eggs, bread, and their meat is good quality compared to the stores around here.

Depending on how much mobile data you use on your phone, I save a fortune using prepaid phone service

The best deals are on black friday, so start planning now. If you can live on 8GB of data a month, Red Pocket ebay puts out one of the best deals. You have to prepay the entire year, but I pay $18/month for AT&T phone service (red pocket is an MVNO for att, verizon, and tmo I think). They have a 16gb a month plan that is not much more.

I am not a mobile data pig, do not watch videos when away from wifi

Reactions: atepointer
    I started using the app GetUpside for gas, as I drive for work a lot. Made about $30 back in the last month and a half or so.

I typically don't buy my fruits and veggies from Costco although I bought blackberries there once and were the best I have ever tried.

We buy things like pasta, olive oil, dog food, diapers, tires, clothes, tp and kleenex, eggs, bread, and their meat is good quality compared to the stores around here.

We just couldnt ever find the savings vs. our local grocery store or Walmart when you break down what you are buying by the oz, roll, etc... to justify the 40 minute drive and the 60 bucks a year or whatever it was. I think it was our 3rd or 4th time in there that we just gave up and never bothered again.

Something I've always done annually is a review of my expenses with a Wants and Needs column. Well this year my Needs column received a forensic audit and I've gone health insurance hunting as I was just hit with a 29% premium increase. Gulp. Went shopping and United Healthcare has a nice plan where I won't lose anything significant and can make the damage a 12% increase. I'm paid up through next week, but will likely finalize this new plan in the next few days. Mind you I'm still paying what amounts to an obscene luxury car payment, but it's less than I woulda been paying.

Winn Dixie and Publix are our 2 big grocery chains here in FL. Always bounced b/t both, but WD as of late has started to put on some amazing sales comparatively speaking and if you have their app they rack up and track your points. Took some nice coin off my grocery bill tonight. Plus if you want you can use those points for gas at several different flavored stations like Shell and Chevron. I know this can ebb and flow so Publix might be the hot ticket next month as they compete for consumers.

Figured some of the suggestions here might be regional like with grocery stores, but thought it could be constructive to have a thread where our necessities of daily living are addressed with possible ways to stretch the dollar. Never know we may even have people in industries who are true SME's and can point the Pit in the right direction for the ever increasing costs of life. I'd love to hear from anyone who may orbit any insurance industry just to hear the latest. My homeowners policy went up 31% for this year!
    WTF? A 31% increase on home owners? Why?

Buy in bulk at Costco with their executive membership and you’ll get a nice check at the end of the year.
    Costco sells at a 14% markup, thats it. To me, its got the best return policy hands-down. I've returned a dead rose bush I didn't get a chance to plant.

Depending on how much mobile data you use on your phone, I save a fortune using prepaid phone service

The best deals are on black friday, so start planning now. If you can live on 8GB of data a month, Red Pocket ebay puts out one of the best deals. You have to prepay the entire year, but I pay $18/month for AT&T phone service (red pocket is an MVNO for att, verizon, and tmo I think). They have a 16gb a month plan that is not much more.

I am not a mobile data pig, do not watch videos when away from wifi
    I use TMobile prepaid for that reason went to them years ago when they were able to roam on ATnT due to the merger break up. Will check this other one out....I'm on 5g and use about 2 so not a data pig either. Thanks

Reactions: kenny1773
    WTF? A 31% increase on home owners? Why?
    I can't say I know for certain, but when the Surfside condominium collapsed that sent shockwaves through the insurance industry apparently. Florida Trend did an article right after saying more or less 'get ready here it comes'. Although I don't believe it has been that way for every home owner either to my degree of increase. Fed Nat is who I use. Had been with State Farm for 15 years or so when they cancelled mine after the last big storm....never made a single claim. Oh well....

• Wow
    Reactions: SilentStalkr
    Wife was always Publix and occasionally WD, but no WD in the new AO. We do have Aldi, which has some decent deals, but not big selections and seems to be a cut below Walmart. We have two Walmarts. One is what you typically expect (clientele wise). The other is far more upscale, but we still don't really care to shop there.

Insurance increases are IMO mostly a "because we can" thing. Several years back, I get my annual notice and homeowners is doubling and I would lose sinkhole and content and outlying structure coverage would be less. I called the agent and tell him never mind, I'm shopping around. He begged for 24 hours. Calls me the next day with a new rate...about a two percent increase and the same coverage as before. I asked him why he didn't find this before sending out the notice. Lots of excuses. I dropped them anyway.

I can't say I know for certain, but when the Surfside condominium collapsed that sent shockwaves through the insurance industry apparently. Florida Trend did an article right after saying more or less 'get ready here it comes'. Although I don't believe it has been that way for every home owner either to my degree of increase. Fed Nat is who I use. Had been with State Farm for 15 years or so when they cancelled mine after the last big storm....never made a single claim. Oh well....
    I have been with USAA for 19 years and they have competitive pricing but their service is outstanding. In that time we have been through at least 7 hurricanes, as you know being a Floridian. I remember in 2004, a lot of people around here lost their Homeowners when all the insurance companies pulled out. I had to replace my roof from a hail storm and they did it quicker than anyone around me and didn't cancel me. Don't know if you qualify, you have to be a Veteran or a family member of a Vet I believe but maybe you can check them out?

I have been with USAA for 19 years and they have competitive pricing but their service is outstanding. In that time we have been through at least 7 hurricanes, as you know being a Floridian. I remember in 2004, a lot of people around here lost their Homeowners when all the insurance companies pulled out. I had to replace my roof from a hail storm and they did it quicker than anyone around me and didn't cancel me. Don't know if you qualify, you have to be a Veteran or a family member of a Vet I believe but maybe you can check them out?
    Thanks Dustbun will check that out dad was Army. I want to say I can't b/c they don't use USAA and I think that was a prereq....will double check though.

Reactions: DustBun
    I think dollar-to-dollar you can find plenty of places cheaper than (insert brand/store). Drive around town all you want, spending $3.00+ in fuel to save $.25 on fruit is ...well....whatever.

Plenty of people will not see the math in shopping in "bulk", some people prefer quality over cost. I can tell you my wife and I have this kind of talk all the time. We do watch what happens with prices. We don't live on pricing alone. We try to balance the best quality products with the best price. I hate to admit it but Costco is either a hit or miss sometimes. It's either a high end version or extra features added product or a larger size that most people can't use. I can say the customer service is WELL ABOVE most any other place you can buy from. I've seen people bringing back in mattresses for a refund. LMAO....it's funny cause I'm not mad at the customer, surely not mad at Costco cause they just smile and issue the refund. Hell I returned an unused product the pricing had changed, they gave me the full amount per the receipt which was well over 30 days past sale.

Not sure who really believes you "must" buy a full flat of fruit but that's absurd. They don't sell a "flat" of apples, oranges, limes, lemons, or any fruit that I can reasonably recall seeing. Post pics if you find a fruit product sold by the "flat". I just want to know that fruit product. Sure you are going to buy 2.5 qts of strawberries at Costco over a .75qt at the local grocery store. That's LIGHT YEARS apart from buying a full flat at a local strawberry farm.

@8pointer You mentioned "wants" & "needs". I'm sure the market for healthcare is quite difficult with each needing their own plan. I hope you can find something that can exceed your current and future needs. It's not going to get cheaper. Any other insurance is tricky as well. People ask me why I tend to pay so much....cause you never know the situation you will find yourself.
    I'm protecting my family and future the best I can....could I do it cheaper...I probably could. With that there's the devil I know versus the devil I don't know. I've heard more than one story about insurance companies. One in particular that is told time and time again was after the first claim/accident (at fault or not) they would either raise your rates or drop you like a stone. It literally was a coin toss.....that's nice huh? From people that used that company I was told almost the exact same story time and time again. I'll never use them regardless of their price.
    As to your "wants" & "needs"....weigh the "extras" that you spend on every month as well. When you see a trend that you can cut....cut it. Plenty of people complain about something costing $40+....well stop drinking coffee from the shops and you save $200 a month.

Reactions: EddieNFL
    I think dollar-to-dollar you can find plenty of places cheaper than (insert brand/store). Drive around town all you want, spending $3.00+ in fuel to save $.25 on fruit is ...well....whatever.

Plenty of people will not see the math in shopping in "bulk", some people prefer quality over cost. I can tell you my wife and I have this kind of talk all the time. We do watch what happens with prices. We don't live on pricing alone. We try to balance the best quality products with the best price. I hate to admit it but Costco is either a hit or miss sometimes. It's either a high end version or extra features added product or a larger size that most people can't use. I can say the customer service is WELL ABOVE most any other place you can buy from. I've seen people bringing back in mattresses for a refund. LMAO....it's funny cause I'm not mad at the customer, surely not mad at Costco cause they just smile and issue the refund. Hell I returned an unused product the pricing had changed, they gave me the full amount per the receipt which was well over 30 days past sale.

Not sure who really believes you "must" buy a full flat of fruit but that's absurd. They don't sell a "flat" of apples, oranges, limes, lemons, or any fruit that I can reasonably recall seeing. Post pics if you find a fruit product sold by the "flat". I just want to know that fruit product. Sure you are going to buy 2.5 qts of strawberries at Costco over a .75qt at the local grocery store. That's LIGHT YEARS apart from buying a full flat at a local strawberry farm.

@8pointer You mentioned "wants" & "needs". I'm sure the market for healthcare is quite difficult with each needing their own plan. I hope you can find something that can exceed your current and future needs. It's not going to get cheaper. Any other insurance is tricky as well. People ask me why I tend to pay so much....cause you never know the situation you will find yourself.
    I'm protecting my family and future the best I can....could I do it cheaper...I probably could. With that there's the devil I know versus the devil I don't know. I've heard more than one story about insurance companies. One in particular that is told time and time again was after the first claim/accident (at fault or not) they would either raise your rates or drop you like a stone. It literally was a coin toss.....that's nice huh? From people that used that company I was told almost the exact same story time and time again. I'll never use them regardless of their price.
    As to your "wants" & "needs"....weigh the "extras" that you spend on every month as well. When you see a trend that you can cut....cut it. Plenty of people complain about something costing $40+....well stop drinking coffee from the shops and you save $200 a month.
    Oh definitely not skimping on healthcare....just shopping around due to big increase. My frivolous spending is pretty small, but wholeheartedly agree with above. I pay my bills, pay myself/future and then on to the 'other' column on occasion. I save on groceries on certain things, but not on quality as maintaining my health is a huge priority with diet and exercise. Certain cleaning items I definitely save a bundle on with Costco sharing membership, but that's about it I don't buy any food there. Thanks for chiming in.

Reactions: HeavyAssault

I've heard people complaining about their financial plight as they light another Marlboro. I laugh and walk away.

• Haha
    Gasbuddy.com is a great app for searching for the best gasoline/diesel prices.

There's a Conoco station 5 miles out of the way that sells regular at $2.95 while all the rest (including Kum & Go) are hovering at $3.19-3.29. I never would have found the station on my own; it's not on my usual routes. You can search by zipcode and/or brand of gas. However, not all consumer reporting lists every octane level, though Regular is almost always listed. Sometimes the Regular price is a come-on to gouge customers who need Premium gas.

I love/hate Gas Buddy. It works but is only as good as the people putting in the info. I use it quite a bit when roaming the East coast down to FL, thru GA, SC, NC, and VA.
    My current vehicle lifetime fuel/operating costs are roughly $.144 cents per mile. (Fuelly App is sort of bad and good)

Both used together can give you great info...some you don't want to see. :LOL: I've used 11,875 gallons of diesel since 2014 when I bought the truck. :oops: :oops:
    If I posted my fuel costs over that time I think meek people would faint.

I go to Publix because after a while, they pay their people well enough that they can afford cars, a house, gifts for their children, etc. As such, the people working there tend to be nice, helpful, and put together... even downtown, where so many retail workers are horrible to share air with. I also have significantly changed what I buy at a grocery store... I don't buy soft drinks or much of any frivolous bottled/canned drink (except whiskey), very little chips or snacks except lightly salted peanuts. I'm basically there getting meats, veggies, fruits, bread, milk, and the like. I still pay a lot...

I tend to shop outside of my city's inflated tax zone, which requires about a 35-40 minute drive with traffic, but I take my dog in that direction most weekends anyway as he loves him some forest exploring and squirrel hunting. That takes me from a 8.5% to a as low as 6.5% sales tax and in that area, gas is easily 20-cents per gallon cheaper, so I will fill up there. There are a few gas stations near where I live that aren't city-inflated, though.

I avoid Walmart in the city as much as I can even if I'd save money because they're a mess, the parking lots are dangerous, etc. -- not worth it.

This year I will owe close to $10K in federal taxes. I expected about $2K... something got screwed up last year somewhere. That's going to hurt.

I use TMobile prepaid for that reason went to them years ago when they were able to roam on ATnT due to the merger break up. Will check this other one out....I'm on 5g and use about 2 so not a data pig either. Thanks

To give an example, here is the ebay plan (not sure why, but red pocket ebay is different from red pocket direct via their web page)

Right now this is $240, it goes on sale around November/December for $210-$215, sometimes can stack with ebay bucks deals.

I have been on the GSMA (ATT) for years now, no complaints (I do not need high speed mobile data, I understand as the towers load up, MVNO data speeds are slowed, not a big deal for me)

Black Friday 2021, they had an even better sale for new customers only, same price but 10GB of data per month, was the first I had seen that deal.

I love/hate Gas Buddy. It works but is only as good as the people putting in the info. I use it quite a bit when roaming the East coast down to FL, thru GA, SC, NC, and VA.
    My current vehicle lifetime fuel/operating costs are roughly $.144 cents per mile. (Fuelly App is sort of bad and good)

Both used together can give you great info...some you don't want to see. :LOL: I've used 11,875 gallons of diesel since 2014 when I bought the truck. :oops: :oops:

That's phenomenal. Currently, fuel alone is costing me about $0.14 per mile.

The cheapest easiest way to feed mouths is meat rabbits.

1 buck and 2 does can net 360+ lbs of meat per year.

Raising chickens (layers and meat birds), a few small raised bed gardens, and ideally a cow/calf pair to milk share and butcher the calf is really a great all inclusive setup and still vary manageable.

Last edited:
    The cheapest easiest way to feed mouths is meat rabbits.

1 buck and 2 does can net 360+ lbs of meat per year.

Raising chickens (layers and meat birds), a few small raised bed gardens, and ideally a cow/calf pair to milk share and butcher the calf is really a great all inclusive setup and still vary manageable.

You might need to borrow a bull and his services once a year or you'll run outta calves in the first year of operations.

But you probably already know that.

I shop at Wally world (for food only) a lot because of the prices.

Gasbuddy.com is a great app for searching for the best gasoline/diesel prices.

There's a Conoco station 5 miles out of the way that sells regular at $2.95 while all the rest (including Kum & Go) are hovering at $3.19-3.29. I never would have found the station on my own; it's not on my usual routes. You can search by zipcode and/or brand of gas. However, not all consumer reporting lists every octane level, though Regular is almost always listed. Sometimes the Regular price is a come-on to gouge customers who need Premium gas.
    I was just looking at this and it hit me, up a dollar in 2 months.

You might need to borrow a bull and his services once a year or you'll run outta calves in the first year of operations.

But you probably already know that.
    Yep- or go the AI route - less risk if you don't mind "getting your hands dirty" (y)

I shop at Wally world (for food only) a lot because of the prices.

Lately I have been shopping more and more at Kroger
    Been stacking their digital coupons with their paper coupons and sales (yeah yeah I know lots of work but not really, only takes 10 minutes or so before you go)

I feel like walmart has been raising prices on food like crazy in the last few months, while I can still find normal prices with coupons and sales at kroger (and the produce is better). Walmart is losing me...

Lately I have been shopping more and more at Kroger
    Been stacking their digital coupons with their paper coupons and sales (yeah yeah I know lots of work but not really, only takes 10 minutes or so before you go)

I feel like walmart has been raising prices on food like crazy in the last few months, while I can still find normal prices with coupons and sales at kroger (and the produce is better). Walmart is losing me...
    I agree, the produce lacks at Walmart, and you can also get fuel points at Kroger/Harris Teeter.

I agree, the produce lacks at Walmart, and you can also get fuel points at Kroger/Harris Teeter.
    Definitely right there with ya.
    I have a WallyWorld and a Kroeger (Dillons here) about 1/2 mile apart.
    Wallyworld here always has stale bread, fruit and veggies lacking, and the meat section downright is an insult to the cattle country I live in.
    Kroeger house brand is good (private selection) and Walmarts sucks balls (sams choice).
    The Kroeger (Dillons) also has an absolute kick ass deli and bakery, honestly one of the best I've ever seen....and I'm talking nation wide.
    I've never seen another Kroeger that comes close.
    Dunno why, but it's not something I'll complain about.
    And yea, fuel points....usually about 25 cents off a gallon for me and the normal price is about the same as the local every other station.

My truck has drank more gas $ than it cost brand new. About 22000 gallons.

My wife finally had the revelation to quit eating out 2-4 nights a week. Paid for a week trip to universal studios Orlando every year since. The bonus is when we get back from Orlando we don't want to see a restaurant for months anyways.

If you have steady power or a generator for a good sized freezer, buy meat in bulk. I have been buying beef by the half or whole cow for the same price as the cheapest Walmart burger. That's how I eat steak for dinner 3-4 nights a week.

Local Hudderite colony sells eggs and produce. I can buy from them cheaper, but it's cash and you have to hit up their stand Saturday morning.

Fleshlights , dildo's , and naked pics of Choids mom are at an all time low right now if you shop around .
    Best stock up while you can .

• Haha
    Reactions: Maggot