• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Places You've Worked But Are Now Shut Down

BullGear

Huckleberry Dillinger
Minuteman
  • Nov 29, 2017
    Hazzard County
    I'll start this off with Kopper's. I worked in the Large Casting Foundry right out of high school. The dirties, hottest job on the face of the earth. Once the molds were poured on the daylight shift, we came in and emptied the molds and set the casting on rail car. The casting were so hot, a few of the guys would cook their lunch on them. The casting sand got everywhere. Every part of your body would be covered in it. A mask was mandatory or you'd be dead within the week. I left there as soon as I could and went to work for Amtrak. Best move I could have made.

Koppers shut down that facility and moved everything to Erie PA where that foundry shut down, I've been told. I don't know if they are still in business but all I can say is good riddance.

Teddy's Frosted Foods in Highland NY. They'd roll huge racks full of boxes of frozen food, mostly veges and we'd open the boxes and dump the contents into a huge hopper that melted it and stirred it. What a fucked up job, mostly addicts or alcoholics. And the foreman, a former boxer who would get pissed if we got behind and scream at you. Needless to say I didnt last long.

I just Googled them and the two references were both indictments, LOL.

Food Concern Indicted - The New York Times​

1682296144212.png
    The New York Times
    https://www.nytimes.com › 1973/09/21 › archives › foo...

Teddy's Frosted Foods Inc is indicted on Sept 20 on 10 counts of polluting Plattekill River with organic wastes.

Sheets v. Teddy's Frosted Foods, Inc., 179 Conn. 471​

1682296144317.png
    Casetext
    https://casetext.com › ... › Supr. Ct. › 1980 › January

Jan 22, 1980 — The plaintiff sought damages from the defendant frozen food producer alleging that it had wrongfully discharged him from his employment as ...
    Missing: highland ‎| Search with: highland

My first job was an usher at a movie theater. It was the last of the single screen movie theaters in the area, it even had a stage. It is now a Rite-Aid pharmacy.

Mike

Probably off topic......but:

Bosnia
    Kosova
    Iraq
    Afghanistan - personally wasn't there in the 2021 shit show
    Yemen - for me personally got shut down,

Miss working BUT I'm mostly intact so can't complain

Teddy's Frosted Foods in Highland NY. They'd roll huge racks full of boxes of frozen food, mostly veges and we'd open the boxes and dump the contents into a huge hopper that melted it and stirred it. What a fucked up job, mostly addicts or alcoholics. And the foreman, a former boxer who would get pissed if we got behind and scream at you. Needless to say I didnt last long.

I just Googled them and the two references were both indictments, LOL.

Food Concern Indicted - The New York Times

View attachment 8126688
    The New York Times
    https://www.nytimes.com › 1973/09/21 › archives › foo...

Teddy's Frosted Foods Inc is indicted on Sept 20 on 10 counts of polluting Plattekill River with organic wastes.

Sheets v. Teddy's Frosted Foods, Inc., 179 Conn. 471

View attachment 8126689
    Casetext
    https://casetext.com › ... › Supr. Ct. › 1980 › January

Jan 22, 1980 — The plaintiff sought damages from the defendant frozen food producer alleging that it had wrongfully discharged him from his employment as ...
    Missing: highland ‎| Search with: highland
    Highland NY.....
    Dude, thats where I lived before I moved to Texas.
    I worked at Highland Ford. Last I saw it had turned into a liquor store.

I drove through the old home town when my mom passed in Feb......the only place still in existence is the McDonalds where I had worked at 15.

The movie theater is now a big box garden center. The hotel I drove the airport shuttle for is now a parking lot.

Chanute AFB, IL is gone.

Bitburg Air Base, Germany is gone.

King Salmon Airport, AK is gone.

The 63rd, 461st and 550th squadrons at Luke AFB are gone.

After I retired, I took a job running the county vehicle maintenance shop. They lost the contract after I left and the building is now empty.

I took a job with the US DOJ.....that company lost the contract and it's gone.

Now that I think about it, I'm the Grim Reaper of jobs. If I work there, the place is probably gonna fold soon. :cautious:

Manning Drilling, Exeter Drilling, Lofland Brothers Drilling, JSM Drilling, Sledge Drilling, and several others now gone.

Reactions: jMarine
    Highland NY.....
    Dude, thats where I lived before I moved to Texas.
    I worked at Highland Ford. Last I saw it had turned into a liquor store.
    This was likely before you were born, circa 73.

Deepwater Horizon. ETA: No I was not there when it met it's untimely demise. I had gone home about 4 days previously.
    CIMG2034.JPG
    Deepwater Horizon.Buring and Going down. 016.jpg

Last edited:
    Constant Action Paintball: worked there as a kid, the most fun job I’ve ever had. Learned to work on paintball markers, learned basic retail, learned the value of hard work, and got to boss grown ass adults around on the weekends while reffing.

The Oak Store: a real dump of a company. The owners were addicts (one took uppers, the other took downers), all the delivery guys smoked pot (which I honestly could care less about, except I was 16 at the time and they’d smoke like a chimney around me, pot reeks), and they had some of the shadiest and sus sales people I’ve ever met. The job sucked, but it paid and they were flexible with my schedule while in school.

An Arby’s that’s now a Dickey’s BBQ. Not sure if that counts or not. Actually had a pretty fun time working there, really.

Fidelity Mechanical: a sweatshop where we made HVAC ducting. Not an awful job, not a great one. Owner and his son were pretty cool, but I eventually got laid off when a service tech basically grenaded the service department. That kinda sucked.

Canyon State Aero: did most of my CFII-H certification there, but wasn’t able to finish before Covid hit. Got hired on part-time when Covid restrictions got lifted, but the owners closed the business to retire not long after. That job got me hooked up with the place I’m (sort of) at now when my current boss was looking to buy a few helis to start his own flight training operation and looked at CSA. Didn’t pan out, but he remembered me almost six months later, and now here I am. :)

So, what business do we need/want to close to benefit the Hide/2A? Looks like I may be the man for the job lol.

Out of high school started at a new plant in SC building cranes called Grove. They were based in PA and we had a few "experts" deployed to "help" us. They called themselves the Penn Men, didn't do much but wander around telling everyone what they were doing wrong, so typical union members.

Hired as a pay-grade nine (lowest) got my welding cert and was a five in about 18 months. About a year later decided to enlist. Returned from Okinawa about ten years later and they were shutting down.

Ben Venue Laboratories, first and last pharma lab I would work in.

I worked at these places in the 60's:

Crown Cork & Seal - Florida plant:
    Makes metal beverage and food cans, metal aerosol containers, metal closures and specialty packing.

Federal Stamping Of Mn
    2000 W 94th St, Bloomington, MN 55420
    National Priorities List: No
    Federal Stamping Of Mn is a superfund site located at 2000 W 94th St, Bloomington, MN 55420. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) identifies sites such as Federal Stamping Of Mn because they pose or had once posed a potential risk to human health and/or the environment due to contamination by one or more hazardous wastes. Federal Stamping Of Mn is currently registered as an Archived superfund site by the EPA and does not require any clean up action or further investigation at this time.

And all the Orange groves where I worked Summers in central Florida are gone,
    replaced by hundreds of thousands of houses.........

Radio Shack, Buddies Grocery, ARCO Oil & Gas, Cities Service Oil Company (CITGO), ODECO, Delta Drilling Co., Thunderbolt Drilling, Norton Drilling, Warton Drilling, Mobil Oil before Exxon bought us ( I retired from XOM )
    I can't recall a couple of other Drilling Companies - as Roughnecks moved around alot. And that was when I was young and first broke out in the Oilfield.
    44 year in the Oilpatch...started when I was 18 in 1977.

This was ODECO Ocean King in Gulf of Mexico, I was not onboard when this happened but had left a couple weeks before it burned up. Roughnecked with some of the men who were killed and injured.

2013-12-23-blowout-and-subsequent-fire-on-offshore-platform-investigation-report-figure-3.jpg

Zafiro Producer Offshore Equatorial Guinea in the Bite of Bonny. The ZP is being scrapped now. The ZP is on the left and the Magnolia is on the right

ZP-good-picture.jpg

Going up in the Derick and throwing the Spinning Chain out in West Texas ~38 year ago ish...

Scan8_0008_008 (6).jpg
    Scan18_0018_018 (2).jpg

Last edited:
    Worked retail for a few years at GI Joe's. Was a NW chain of stores that is long gone now. Tell people it was a great job because I got to talk about hunting and fishing all day but the pay could have been better.

Weyerhaeuser facility that is now just a small log mill. When I started there was an old growth mill, the small log mill, and a laminated beam facility. Was there when the old growth mill was shut down.

Two Raytheon businesses back in the day when they had non-military, heavy equipment manufacturing businesses. First was in Oregon where they built rock crushing equipment. Was there during that shutdown. Second in SE Idaho where they build pressure vessels and did other steel fabrication.

Worked in the semiconductor industry for 18 years. Location I worked at is on its 4th owner now. Shut down the 5 inch fab while I was there.

Makes me wonder if I was the jinx for these business. :unsure:

Worked for Terry Steam Turbine for 3 years as a machinists/assembler back in 1982 - 85. Starting pay was $6.35 per hour. Great job, hot as a bastard when testing Turbines on the steam line, well over 100 degrees. Back then it was a good place to work, decent pay and benefits. Was there until they decided to close up shop and move the operation to Upstate NY.

Reactions: mtrmn
    Construction here, so every single jobsite I visit with the intent of running out of work. One of the few things where the whole point of the job is working until it's gone, while hoping there's a next one.

As far as company's, all local shops, biggest was 60 employees. They're all still in business.

Reactions: 101st and mtrmn
    In high school I worked for Norwood Scientific making reagents for blood analyzers. Started as a filler and worked my way up to chemical operator mixing chemicals in large vessels. Really nasty stuff like KCN and NaCN and all kinds of acids including HCl, Glacial Acetic, H2SO4 and few others. Plant blew up when one of the owners dumb shit nephew was doing donuts on a fork lift and knocked over a shelf of chemicals which subsequently ignited. Luckily the only one person was injured when a pipe skidded across the floor and broke his ankle.

As a kid I worked for a while at a Kmart, I was the door greeter. One night while at work a tornado hit the store, one guy was killed when the front wall collapsed on him, several others were injured.