• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Plain old "hunting"rifle

macthknife

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2004
clarksville, IN
I'm writing down something I've been thinking about all morning. I'd like to take the barreled action I have set aside for a custom rig, and build what I'll refer to as a "hunting" rifle, or in actuality, a stealth precision rifle.

Basically, build a rig using top quality components, by a top builder, but designed to look like a plain old wood stocked Remington 700.

First thing I'm wondering, is if McMillan or Manners could build a fiberglass M40 stock, and finish it to look like wood grain. Then, have GAP or someone, use a Bartlein or Rock barrel with the 700P taper.

No real reason other than it might be kinda neat. I guess a regular M40 wooden stock with a good finish and bedding job would do the trick also, but I'm partial to glass.

Anyways, just writing down My thoughts. Anyone else have any, I'd like to hear em. Anyone else did something similar, I'd like to hear about that too.

Mac

Re: Plain old "hunting"rifle

Ask McMillan for the McWoody molded in finish.

So you're trying to get precision rifle to look like a plain old hunting rig, so when they see your sniper rifle they'll think its only an old deer slayer. So they ain't confiscate it. I'm Taking the tin foil hat off.

Why not just free-float the barrel and bed it properly in a wood stock?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.accurateinnovations.com/ </div></div>
I love the concept of Accurate Innovations stocks, I just wish they made a wooden M40 clone stock with their metal bedding block. That would kick ass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not just free-float the barrel and bed it properly in a wood stock?</div></div>
Well said. If it had to be somewhat tacticool, Surgeon DBM fits the bill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtv3062</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you're trying to get precision rifle to look like a plain old hunting rig, so when they see your sniper rifle they'll think its only an old deer slayer. So they ain't confiscate it. I'm Taking the tin foil hat off. </div></div> Nope. I already have "snipery" rifles. Plain old hunting rifles don't get as many dumb questions at the range, though. Also, I'm getting old. A 700p taper barrel, and a sporter profile stock is a little less weight to lug around. Taking My time with a decision on what I'm going to do though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not just free-float the barrel and bed it properly in a wood stock? </div></div>
Agreed!

I like the idea.

I've seen mention of the Whidden V Block. Never used or seen one, but may be worth looking at if you do choose to go with a wood stock.

Another vote for McMillan McWoody. These are not mine, but I sure wouldn't mind having either one.

d9e52f7e.jpg

39B10674-6AA5-4D2B-B880-212385B36B5C-269-0000003417061673.jpg

John

Whoa! Yeah, that is nice! Maybe too nice, but I think My notion can evolve a little. That is a nice fargin setup. I like it. Did I say, I like it? I like it!

hydrodip in wood grain then urathane or ceramic clear coat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtv3062</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you're trying to get precision rifle to look like a plain old hunting rig, so when they see your sniper rifle they'll think its only an old deer slayer. So they ain't confiscate it. I'm Taking the tin foil hat off. </div></div> Nope. I already have "snipery" rifles. Plain old hunting rifles don't get as many dumb questions at the range, though. Also, I'm getting old. A 700p taper barrel, and a sporter profile stock is a little less weight to lug around. Taking My time with a decision on what I'm going to do though.
</div></div>

what constitutes as a "sniper rifle" exactly? if i take a stevens 200 and put it in a tactical stock and mount a US Optics scope on it but keep the noodle thin barrel would it be a "sniper rifle".

i seriously doubt anyone is coming for the "sniper rifles" in this country seeing as how that would basically be any and every bolt action rifle in the country.

any weapon is deadly if used in the right hands. take a custom built rig and put someone who can't shoot behind it and its not deadly at all. get someone that knows how to shoot and put him behind a .22 and he can take out targets out to 200 yards and maybe even more if the conditions are right.

not sure about every state out there but i highly doubt anyone is coming for the "sniper rifles" in this country.

God Bless Texas ..... and Montana
Semper Fi
Mike

If you ever do decide you want to try wood, give Joel Russo a shout. He will build most any profile you want out of any wood or laminate. You will be surprised at the results you can get from wood.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SquarePizza</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you ever do decide you want to try wood, give Joel Russo a shout. He will build most any profile you want out of any wood or laminate. You will be surprised at the results you can get from wood. </div></div> That's awesome! Thanks, Man. I saved his homepage to My favorites. Kickass.

You can use whatever stock you want now just have the thing hydrodipped in the wood pattern when the stock is done. I do not have pick but a friend of mine had a sheet gun done by Tarjacs in our area and you cannot even tell its not real wood unless you get it 3 inches from your face and already know its dipped.

You might want to talk to Kilimanjaro Rifles - IIRC they also custom build laminated stocks for customer's actions. They don't sound cheap though...

A buddy of mine had the same idea that inspired me to do the same Thing. I went with Russo for the stock. Very good, fast and easy to work with. I would highly recommend.I have owned some Accurate Innovation stocks too and have not had any complaints.

Here is the Russo cut to an M40 style
IMG00041-20120211-2227.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N8Lusk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A buddy of mine had the same idea that inspired me to do the same Thing. I went with Russo for the stock. Very good, fast and easy to work with. I would highly recommend.I have owned some Accurate Innovation stocks too and have not had any complaints.

Here is the Russo cut to an M40 style
IMG00041-20120211-2227.jpg
</div></div> Very cool. Thanks for the awesome picture. I like that!

first off who cares about any questions at the range. This is still a free country.

As for weight if you are lugging it around I can see the issue, off the bench should be no big deal.

I vote for a wood stock (not that my opinion matters). I am a traditionalist when it comes to hunting rifles (even if it is just a facade).