• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Plan for Tikka Build, Feedback?

Corp. Punishment

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Here is what I got planned so far:

Tikka T3 223 stainless
Falcon Menace 5-25X50mm
EGW 20 MOA base
TPS 30mm low rings
Galliard barrel 1-8" (canadian barrel maker)
Manners MCS-T4 stock

Anything im missing?

Re: Plan for Tikka Build, Feedback?

The falcon scope is going to be as big as the rifle your building. these freakin things are hudge!!!!!!!!! BIG i say, BIGGGG!!!!!!!! I am not kidding you either. go with a nikon monarch, better glass anyway!! Lee

Well I am a big Tikka fan. I have owned three and still have two. They just flat out shoot!

I have a buddy who shoots the Tactical model in .223...same deal...sub 1/2" five shot group shooter all day. I really regreat selling my Tactical model in .308.

I know people do not care for the stocks...can't say I am a fan of them either...but I have owned some top end factory rifles...TRG-22, Remmy 5R's,etc....and the bone stock Tikka's would out shoot them all.

Now with the Manners stock as a option...I think more folks will start paying attention to them.

Your shopping list looks good to me.

Here is a Hide group target five, 5 shot groups I shot last week with my Tikka Lite in .243 from the prone using bi-pod, rear bag, and some 87gr Vmax reloads. I am using 36.5gns of RL-15, many times fired FL sized Remmy brass, BR-2 primers and seating bullets to mag length.

Take care,Stan

No...a gent here on the Hide makes them. PM me if your interested and I will give you his email. They are a drop in replacement...n smithing required.

Take care,Stan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Corp. Punishment</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is what I got planned so far:

Tikka T3 223 stainless
Falcon Menace 5-25X50mm
EGW 20 MOA base
TPS 30mm low rings
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Galliard barrel 1-8" (canadian barrel maker)</span></span>
Manners MCS-T4 stock

Anything im missing? </div></div>

Tikka has a 1:8" twist also. The barrel itself is pretty accurate. I am just curious to see why you want to switch to a different barrel with the same twist.?

I would agree that the Tikka is a great gun to start your build with. My wife has one and that thing amazes me just how accurate it come "out of the box"

I have not messed with the Falcon scopes much but I would agree with the other post that the Nikon scopes really come with good glass and are a great bank for your buck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Corp. Punishment</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is what I got planned so far:

Tikka T3 223 stainless
Falcon Menace 5-25X50mm
EGW 20 MOA base
TPS 30mm low rings
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Galliard barrel 1-8" (canadian barrel maker)</span></span>
Manners MCS-T4 stock

Anything im missing? </div></div>

Tikka has a 1:8" twist also. The barrel itself is pretty accurate. I am just curious to see why you want to switch to a different barrel with the same twist.? </div></div>

Because I want a really good quality heavy barrel.

Do not start with a custom barrel. The Tikka/Sako hammerforged barrels are more than good enough, better than most "custom" barrels in practical use.

Use the money you save on better optics.

Scopemonts: Try original Tikka Optilock ringmounts( with polymer inserts ) were the bottom half of the ring go straight on the milled rails on the receiver. The absolute best, most solid rail/base is no rail/base. KISS. This setup looks and works excellent with 30mm tube/52mm outside objective scopes

See page 3 on this document: http://www.tikka.fi/pdf/specs/Optilocktechspec.pdf

I agree on the barrel, I wouldn't say they are better than a custom barrel, they aren't but they are a damn good factory barrel and certainly worth shooting out before you swap the barrel

I do however beg to differ on the Optilock mounts.

you are right that an integral rail is a good idea, unfortunately the optilock rings are not the most dependable.

Get a picatinny rail on there, it should be glued, screwed and pinned on and it will not budge. Then add a set of decent rings. You then have the option of swapping the scope to any other picatinny rail on any other rifle. No other scope mount system offers the versatility.
Spending money on the optilocks is a waste of money, as you will change at some point later to picatinny.

Pete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I do however beg to differ on the Optilock mounts.

Spending money on the optilocks is a waste of money, as you will change at some point later to picatinny.

Pete </div></div>

You may be right :) I have a few sets of the original Tikkakoski milled steel rings. They are utterly reliable. I use Optilock ringmounts on a couple of Sako competitionrifles and they have never failed me.

As a competitionshooter I sometimes "bend" what is politically correct. My engeneering idols are Colin Chapman (Lotus) and Willy Messerschmitt ( if the plane that has won the race is able to take off again it is still too heavy! ) I have actually won some matches shooting Rem 788 and Sauer 90 :)

I use the EGW 20 MOA picatinny rail on on my Tikka's. Very solid and I can then use any, quality rings. Been very happy with this set up.

The stock barrels are excellent...but if your "building" a rifle then by all means get what you want. I am VERY interested in see it when it is done.

Take care,Stan

In the long run I want my build to have a heavy barrel. Which means that im going to get the stock inletted for a heavy barrel.

Can you use a smaller barrel in a bigger inlet?

Yes you can use a smaller bbl with a stock inlet for a thicker contour.