• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Plane crash beautify filmed and escaped

TurboTrout

Two Star General
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2020
East Coast
Maybe a little too well filmed.

If it wasn’t for the oil spray on the wing strut I’d for sure say staged.

Also flying with a sport rig I would be VERY uncomfortable

• Wow
Reactions: 10ring'r
Is that oil? Looks more like mud on the wing strut. No oil coming from engine.

My bet is this is 100% staged. Why have cameras ONLY (that we can see anyway) on the door used to exit the plane and on cockpit dash? Just another narcissist trying for his 15 minutes of fame.

Not buying it.

Besides the multiple camera angles...(and the hike back to the plane to recover them while in "survival" mode?) He never really feared for his life, or the cameras would have been jettisoned / abandoned.

If you are so worried about having to bail out of an airplane that you wear a parachute, would you not also prepare for aftermath by having a personal locator beacon and / or compass, etc?

It appeared to have some video from another chase plane?

Documenting the "injuries"... oh please. Along with all the grunting while brush busting to make it seem harrowing...

And the biggie for me, if the original intent of the trip was to go paragliding and spread his buddies ashes, wouldn't his paragliding rig have been in the plane with everything that was destroyed? But three days later he has it on and is continuing his quest.

Glad you’re safe.
N-number appears to be on the forward vertical stabilizer.
Seemed awfully anxious about jumping vs putting down on the road in the final flight pics.
Parachute but no ELT? I thought those were required as of 40 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10ring'r
First time seeing a pilot wear a chute , more of a stunt pilot with a cheap old plane ready for the junk yard so why not film it crashing.That part was pretty cool and again not usual for engine failure mid flight, jump from plane and pull out your selfie stick. He's a good stunt man not much of an actor though, he should of hired Tom Cruise or Matt Damon for the talking scenes.

First time seeing a pilot wear a chute , more of a stunt pilot with a cheap old plane ready for the junk yard so why not film it crashing.That part was pretty cool and again not usual for engine failure mid flight, jump from plane and pull out your selfie stick. He's a good stunt man not much of an actor though, he should of hired Tom Cruise or Matt Damon for the talking scenes.

Lots of pilots wear them, but it’s people doing aerobatics, dropping skydivers, test flights, etc

And, most of all they are not sport rigs, they are packed different, basically just a reserve, and the containers are flat, vs a sport rig with bulge that would be pushing into your lower back if you were just resting on it in a seat.

Lots of his other videos he’s not wearing a rig, also I don’t see his parasailing rig anywhere in that plane, which was the reason for the flight 🤷‍♂️

When we jumped from old 180's and 182's the pilot always wore a chute. But, on the way up, we were usually overweight, no door, and half a tank of fuel and, on the way down, he would race us to the ground.

I didn't watch all of it but I question why he didn't land either the plane or the chute on that dirt road under them?

edit ... Looked again, it could be a wide flat(ish) wash.

Thank you,
MrSmith

Sport rig

curv1.jpg

Emergency rig

1-F942-A15-570-B-419-B-AE79-1-E3491-E3-E278.jpg

Looks like NC something

Which is the old school way of starting a N number, which matches the year of the plane, and is in a popular size and location

D00-D647-A-BA69-4-B7-C-95-D1-F4788-F492631.jpg

Cheap production, now if he stepped it up with an A6 Learjet full of fuel would of been much more dramatic.

Looking at his other video content, from the titles alone, seems like the type of person who would make a fake crash video.

Would any of you pilots wear the harness and carry the ‘chute during your evacuation hike?
No radio comms to another aircraft or tower detailing location and distress while still airborne?
Seems a bit odd along with the dramatic documentation commentary….I’m skeptical about authenticity.

Would any of you pilots wear the harness and carry the ‘chute during your evacuation hike?
No radio comms to another aircraft or tower detailing location and distress while still airborne?
Seems a bit odd along with the dramatic documentation commentary….I’m skeptical about authenticity.

I’d guess he was beyond ATC/Tower radio range there, so I’ll give him that, even though I’d still transmit on 21.5 as most planes near him up in the flight levels had a good chance of hearing him and most monitor guard.

Was also interesting he didn’t bother to leave his sport rig behind, hiked it all the way out, but where was the paragliding rig in the interior shots, or in the post crash shots? Not a small amount of stuff, plus helmet, jump suit, etc

7ada4bdd3b278abc8ddcc312de3164f6.jpg

In a real emergency, who would be worried about filming sky diving portion with the hand held go pro. He didn’t make any mayday calls or seem to attempt a restart or try to save the aircraft. But grabbed the camera...

I have been in an engine out situation in a 177, pilot landed safely on an abandoned airstrip in between cow pastures in southern Mississippi.

Edit- but if you’re flying somewhere where you’re pretty sure you’re not gonna have any safe emergency landing places flying with a shoot is damn good. idea. We always flew within glideslope of interstates or major highways to give ourselves an out, luckily during the emergency experience we had a GPS with the nearest airport location, And how we got to that abandoned field, If not we have been landing on I 59.

Last edited:
Reactions: TurboTrout
So he had the wherewithal to pull back on the yoke to near stall to stop the prop, I'm assuming for added theatrics of the "engine out". Yeah, you could do that to extend the glide but if he was off that mindset he probably wouldn't have bailed. Interested to read the ntsb report

There's your n number, be worth keeping an eye on. Typically they do a pretty through look through to figure out what caused an engine out. Unless he's smart enough to have staged a true catastrophic failure I'd assume the investigator would figure it out.

There's your n number, be worth keeping an eye on. Typically they do a pretty through look through to figure out what caused an engine out. Unless he's smart enough to have staged a true catastrophic failure I'd assume the investigator would figure it out.

Looks like it belongs/belonged to Laura L Smith (private pilot)

She’s going to be maaaaaaad lol

In a real emergency, who would be worried about filming sky diving portion with the hand held go pro. He didn’t make any mayday calls or seem to attempt a restart or try to save the aircraft. But grabbed the camera...
Never underestimate the narcism of the social media celeb wannabes. If there was a passenger in the plane that needed help getting out, the camera would have come first.

That said, the whole thing looks staged. I don’t know what he risked in penalties from the ntsb etc. but I bet they would be life changing if they proved he loosed that plane on purpose.

Isnt this the same as an ejection seat?

If it was a real failure, over bad terrain, pilot in command (PIC) has a ton of authority, but needs to back his decisions up with reality, if he decides bailing is the best option to save his life, plus the plane isn’t over any people or property, he gets a pat on the back and a good job bud and becomes a member of the caterpillar club
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterpillar_Club

If he staged that, well he’s likely to get some federal “love”

If it was a real failure, over bad terrain, pilot in command (PIC) has a ton of authority, but needs to back his decisions up with reality, if he decides bailing is the best option to save his life, plus the plane isn’t over any people or property, he gets a pat on the back and a good job bud and becomes a member of the caterpillar club
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterpillar_Club

If he staged that, well he’s likely to get some federal “love”
Probably some insurance fraud charges as well.

Reactions: Yasherka
Especially in Cali. You are always in contact with someone. Doesn't matter if you are VFR or IFR. You must always practice "Clearance & Avoidance", but you are always under ATC control. That's what I remember, anyways. He did not contact anyone, so, staged. Mac

I used that info to find the approximate location of the bailout and crash site, again approximate but definitely in the area, about 2 miles east of the Manzana Schoolhouse Camp. Bailout happened at about 34.829895, -119.953515 with the aircraft heading approximately NW. The aircraft appeared to do a descending spiral into the ground, impacting at approximately 34.814616, -119.960225 heading approximately SE. Unsure of where dipshit landed but looking at satellite photos there were places he could've set the plane down to the west and a nice flat spot he could've landed his chute right below him.

I think he faked it for sure.

Last edited:
The chute doesn’t bother me. I always wore one when flying the higher performance / aerobatic gliders.

Tragedy for such an iconic aircraft. (That did a pretty good job flying without a pilot)

The chute doesn’t bother me. I always wore one when flying the higher performance / aerobatic gliders.

Tragedy for such an iconic aircraft. (That did a pretty good job flying without a pilot)

You wear a sport rig?

Complete fake. He oughta be fined up the ass.

FAA is kangaroo court (administrative “law”) so they’ll find howver they want

But if this gets kicked to the federal real courts, I’d wager he might have more than just fines to deal with, if that was staged, it should be jail time IMHO

Reactions: mrtoyz
He gave up hope, was dying of thirst, and fell to his knees because he heard a cow in less than a day.

• Haha
Reactions: BLEE and FWoo45
For such a hard impact, shouldn't there be a fire? Or is it random with small plane crashes?

I know absolutely ZERO about aircraft or flying. But the “over documentation” with multiple cameras and selfie stick while under canopy really make it look like an entirely staged event.

Reactions: BLEE