• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Planning a shorty .308 suggestions

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2009
    Mississippi
    Think i've narrowed it down to two routes. Which would you go with though?

The first is pick up a 16.5 AAC drop it into a manners MCS-TA or MCS-2TA along with DBM mini-chassis. Adjust the X-mark pro trigger to 1lb like my smith did with mine on my current rifle, add a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32mm, along with base and rings accordingly. I think going this route topped out around 2500$

The other is buy a new 700 action from IBA or Brownells, same stock setup. Take the barrel from my 5R have it cut and threaded use it for the shorty rig. The rest is the same as above. Then get a bartlein #7 GAP contour in .260rem. Send it off and have it put on my main rifle that i took the 5R barrel off of: chambered, trued, crowned etc.

The second option i haven't totaled out yet but it's considerable more money but there is no risk in getting a dud. Seen some threads about the 700 AAC(s) that make me weary. Rebarrelling to the GAP #7 is something i've been meaning to do with my rifle for some time. Here it is as it is now.
    700 5R
    Pillar & glass Bedded in an MCM A5
    X-mark pro trigger @ 1lb
    APA RTG bottom metal
    APA 700 bolt knob
    USO SN-3 3.2-17x44mm
    vsl85s.jpg

Here's how it shoots with my handloads running 45.5gr of varget with hornady 178gr BTHP COL @ 2.860
    5 shots 100yds haven't taken them out any distance as i haven't shot in a long while and when i loaded these it was dead winter, saw no pressure signs. Shot them with no problems, first shot in 50F i got a bolt stick so i'll be backing down to 45.2. Though 45gr shot almost as good.
    1070xht.jpg

Unless you just really want a second rifle.....I'd just chop the barrel to 18" and be done with it.

It doesn't make sense to me to take the 5R barrel to another rifle because your gonna probably need to have it chopped and techs breed for that action.

So chop the current barrel, build a 2nd rifle later

I've thought about that as well. Though given the factory barrel i'm worried about the velocity loss. I might be nearing 2700fps with a load three tenths over max and will probably average 2650fps with max (45.2gr).

The other side of the equation is i'm looking to get my first suppressor as well. So trying to juggle both seems it may be too much to handle at once. Might have to just pick one. I know i will have to wait months for the suppressor though which is why i'm looking to the rifle.

The worst part is i have the necessary parts for a shorty build, it's just my father's rifle and he wont let me touch it lol. Otherwise i would be using that short action and the Leupy VX-R patrol 3-9x40mm i have on it and cut a good chunk of the expense out of the build.

I didn't want to chop my current rifle cause I wanted the longer barrel for better fps.

So I went with a aac-sd and waiting on a mcree chassis which should be here this week. Have not shot it yet so hope it's not a dud but it was too good of a price to not get it. I really want a shorty rifle in addition to my long rifle so choice seemed easy.

I didn't want to chop my current rifle cause I wanted the longer barrel for better fps.

So I went with a aac-sd and waiting on a mcree chassis which should be here this week. Have not shot it yet so hope it's not a dud but it was too good of a price to not get it. I really want a shorty rifle in addition to my long rifle so choice seemed easy.

Same thinking i have. My friend's 16.5 AAC shoots well even with the hogue stock. Seeing some threads pop up in the last weeks makes me wonder. Going the second route i have a .308 barrel that i know shoots, and it would finish my rifle (pictured above) which is what i set out to do: start with a remington 700 5R and finish with a custom rifle. The trade off it's probably somewhere around 1000$ more i would guess.

Last edited:
    Same thinking i have. My friend's 16.5 AAC shoots well even with the hogue stock. Seeing some threads pop up in the last weeks makes me wonder. Going the second route i have a .308 barrel that i know shoots, and it would finish my rifle (pictured above) which is what i set out to do: start with a remington 700 5R and finish with a custom rifle. The trade off it's probably somewhere around 1000$ more i would guess.

I would do a 16" PSS contour custom barrel. I am pretty sure all things being equal a custom barrel will shoot faster.

Edit:My AAC shoots about 2" @ 100 yards.