• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Planning a trip to TX

Ren

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2008
Fl, Sarasota
Texans. Ive been wanting to do this for a while... but just now have gotten the okay from the wife. Im going to start planning a trip to TX for possible re-location from FL. Ive flipped through the pages of TX posts but now Im just more cofused. So the question is. If you guys are living in TX now but could move to any part of the state where would you go?

I was thinking of the Rifles only area, but I would like some input. My backgound is in the IT field so I would like to be able to get a decent job.

Thanks guys!

Re: Planning a trip to TX

I think with an IT field, you are going to be better off around one of the big population centers, i.e. DFW, Austin, Houston. Austin is full of long hair funky smelling hippies. But they are pretty high tech with IT. DFW has tons of stuff. Houston has lots of oil / energy stuff that always needs IT.

Edited to add: But if I could pick a place to live, I like trees, so East Texas (redneck area) fits me fine. However, you can get out around Brownwood / Stephenville area and get lots of land and area to yourself.

Best hunting is the hill country around Austin and San Antonio (leases are expensive). Brownwood area farhter north is nice too and I dove hunt around there - there are deer also but a job might be harder to find. Went to school at UT Austin and I don't miss the fags, pot smokers, or hippi morons. Stay far north of Austin proper. I live in Dallas due to job but my inlaws are south of Austin so at least I get to visit the hill country.

The hill country (Austin, San Antonio area) is awesome for hunting. But traffic in Austin sucks! It's much worse than Dallas. I can't say much for Houston. From Dallas you have East Texas and Northwest of Dallas (Montague, Throckmorton area) for hunting. It's pretty good, but leases are getting really high there. All the lakes are heavily over crowded during the summer time around Dallas. If I could pick a spot based on outdoor activities, it would be A/SA area. I went to school at Southwest, so I love the San Marcos area.

Life is too short to live in Houston! I'm all over the state on business and as far as a large metro area I'd recommend DFW over Austin/San Antonio or Houston.

Thanks for the input guys. From various PMs and posts here it looks like either East Texas near DFW or North of Austin. Any other input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Good choice. I'd stay away from Houston also. If I were you I'd work on getting about a hour south of DFW on I-35. You could sort of get the best of both worlds there.

Houston is the last place in the world of Texas that you want to be. It stinks, it's a violent place, and if you have a family you will be worried about them every second you are away. NOT a good way to live and keep your sanity... or what you have left.

I have lived all around the DFW area for over 44 years before moving to Colorado, and you are within easy driving distances to do anything at all that you can imagine to do outdoors. 2 hours East, nothing but tall awesome smelling trees with awesome lakes to fish. 2 hours West, nothing but open areas with scrub brush and awesome hunting. But then again, you can find that going North or South too!!

Many more options in the DFW area in my opinion. The IT base in DFW is huge as well, so you shouldn't have a hard time finding something fairly quick. If you decide to go East, take a long look in the Tyler area. Just remember, there are alot of other IT keyboarders out there as well. Due diligence my friend!!

DK

North of Austin. Round Rock, Pfluggerville, Georgetown are all nice areas. Lots of IT down here.

Yea.. Im originally from NC but I dont really want to go back. Ive just figured it would be nice to see and maybee move to TX.

My vote is for the SA area, and I agree with the staying away from Houston. If you don't mind the weirdos already mentioned Austin isn't so bad minus the traffic.

I am glad I found this thread. I still may ask some questions in my own but I was considering the Austin area and it seems to get some praise.