• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Planning DIY Elk Hunt

Undrgrndprdcts

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
I'm thinking about beginning to plan a DIY elk hunt. It looks like Colorado has OTC tags? Want to go in rifle season(2nd?) and take my dad. Is it just as easy as buying the tags for the unit you want once they become available? Thinking of the stagger approach with 1 cow and 1 bull. It looks like this can be done under $1500 per person? Also I'm not 100% certain on where to camp, relative to the hunting area. I already know the basics good boots, packs, fitness etc. Its the logistics of getting everything set up I'm trying to clarify.

There is good hunting on some public land there but

1) You might have to walk in and pack the meat out. If there is an outfitter in the area your hunting who uses horses it would not hurt see if he would be willing to send a guy to pack it out for you
2) The guys who know the better areas sometimes tell their hunting age children, seldom anyone else.

Co cow tags are available by drawing or leftover, no OTC (exceptions), so 'staggered' means applying. Determine what area you want to hunt and see what's available for that area/season.

Planning on the hard way, walk in pack out, to keep cost down. Not really sure what areas to look at. Mostly trying to maximize success rates.

If its easier to do 2 bull tags then so be it. Whatever bulls are legal would be acceptable. I'm going for meat and experience but would like to get my dad some sort of bull.

I looked into it, was going to go this week up near gunnison (second rifle right now) and hunt the public land, that borders private land we have permission to hunt. Didn't feel like paying for it to be honest. My grandad is up there right now after a cow, and knowing him he'll get one.

Are there any other places I should be looking at? If not can anyone else provide more info on Colorado?

go to cwp's website (type in 'colorado elk hunting'), call one of their hunt planners. also they have a lot of stats for each of their game management units, by week/season.

i just did first rifle there in the nw, and unfortunately saw no bulls at all (other than on private land before season when i was scouting). pretty sure you can just go there and get some otc (over the counter) tags now that let you hit a lot of units (vs first rifle which is primarily if not entirely via draw).

Check the "leftover list" for a cow tag in or near the units you want to hunt. Just because there is leftover tags doesn't mean its a bad unit. For an OTC bull plus leftover Cow hunt, my choice would be third season. Early seasons have been tough the past few years. I would say to kill elk consistently you should be hunting above 11,000ft (in the big mountain units) at that time of year (1st and 2nd season). Third season gives you the opportunity of some snow, which will push elk down, especially cows and may give you a better chance at success. Especially if you are hunting with dad.

Regarding units: the days of getting a good tip on the internet are over. Check NDIS MapIT for an interactive map of elk summer and winter concentrations. Then connect the dots and intercept. Generally speaking I think west slope units are easier on the body than wilderness/heavy timber units. Warm third season on the front slope and success will be low, get a good snow storm during third season and chances of killing elk increase dramatically.

Good luck. Remember, success rates for most units is in the low teens to single digits for all hunters. And lastly, it takes years to learn a new area. Find something that catches your eye and go for it. Don't get too hung up on "which unit".

Whatever you end up doing it's not going to be easy these days. There are so many people coming here to hunt these days it's insane. Unless you get miles off any path you will be submerged in hunters. That's why I started picking up my bow instead of going 2nd/3rd rifle. Saving points until I can get into a good unit early rifle. Find a general area you want to go, look at some maps and do some research. After you do that, call the biologist for the area then they always give good information as long as you're willing to put in the work. The weather plays a big part in where you go. I've seen elk at treeline still in late October. And I've also seen elk at 7k first week in Sept. The weather and snow totals effect this big time. Been another hot year here. Still may need to get up there high pending where you are in the state.

Man it seems like this might not be the best thing to do. Should I be looking into guided hunts?

Man it seems like this might not be the best thing to do. Should I be looking into guided hunts?
I think you have a good idea in mind, doing a public land hunt can be really fun and rewarding, regardless of a kill. I hate that saying, "it's called hunting, not shooting", but it applies here. You can scour the mountains for weeks and not get into any elk even with a guide service. Same with whitetail. Same with Mule deer. I'd say just get out there and hunt. Build a plan, follow it.

Reactions: Undrgrndprdcts
I have gone to Idaho for three years now and have not killed any thing. A otc elk hunt has to be the hardest damn hunt i have ever done. People will sell there first born before giving up elk hunting info. I am already planning on next year i fucking love it . Success rates are in the 10% range for a reason. With all that said go for it no one ever killed any thing sitting on the couch

I’ll second hotload and jwk’s points. my brother and i did a self guided hunt during first rifle season in CO a few years back. when you think you’ve gone high enough, go higher. people say it, and i was a little skeptical, but its true. they are way the hell up there early on and they know exactly where the imaginary line is between private and public. we saw quite a few on a couple of different areas (some very very nice bulls) but none were in a place that we could legallytake. later gun seasons usually sees them come lower, but you have to contend with more hunters (for elk) and also i believe as deer seasons open.

whether you get one or not the scenery and wildlife is magnificent. saw the largest mule deers of my life, moose etc.

i have it on my list to go again, but i will likely fork out the cash for an outfitter as im out of state and dont have the ‘in’ on really scouting these areas in advance.

Yea the problem is I'm 25 hours away and it would still be a significant investment. Would burn all my vacation and I have zero elk experience. Still want to figure something out though as ive been wanting to do this for 15 years and neither of us are getting younger.

Don't get me wrong, you won't regret an OTC hunt no matter what. Better then not going. Even if you don't see an elk, you may have the best time in your life without harvesting an animal. There are lots of folks off the roads and the heavy trails, but if you get in a little bit, you won't see much of anyone. Most people are into road hunting and when they can get back for Beer30 time. I would recommend going no matter what.

Yea the problem is I'm 25 hours away and it would still be a significant investment. Would burn all my vacation and I have zero elk experience. Still want to figure something out though as ive been wanting to do this for 15 years and neither of us are getting younger.

Assuming you are talking about a 2019 hunt? Only a few weeks left this year. I would try to scout one weekend at very least before taking all your vacation and winging it.

Reactions: Dirty8404
Yes 2019. Thanks for all your help so far. When would be a good time to scout?

Now! OnXMaps and gohunt.com are great resources. They are by no means a guarantee on anything but I use both to help map out my hunts for the following year.

Once you picked an area/unit I would call the game warden in that locale and talk to them. They can give you significant intel.

Have done the above for the last 14 years or so.
We've killed a few and screwed up more than a few.
Archery elk is hard and we knew it going in.
The memories have been worth every penny and then some.
When you think you are in good enough shape double up on your workout. lol
I'll warn you, there is no turning back once you've sampled this chase.

R

I went OTC two years in a row for archery 20 years ago. It was a great experience, and I do want to do it again. We had triplets in 1999, and I haven't been back for a hunt. My sons are 19 and we are looking at going when they are done with college. I will have to get in shape again, because it is really tough going from Kansas to the mountains.

I would consider having someone pack you in and out of a good limited draw area so you can get away from the crowd. Use your energy to hunt, not packing everything in.

Assuming you are talking about a 2019 hunt? Only a few weeks left this year. I would try to scout one weekend at very least before taking all your vacation and winging it.

I agree with this guy.

Im not much at typing, and this could take a while, I have been OTC , DIY before these acronyms existed, over 40 years 42 to be exact.There is a lot to learn,.....but thats half the fun. The number 1 question is where do you live and how far are you willing to travel ? The next question is how are you planning to hunt rifle or bow ? Whay are your expectations are they realistic how persistent are you ? Mindset is #1 on difficult/ odds not in your favor hunts.How much home work are you willing to do ? Google earth is your friend, the cell phone is your friend, luck and weather are you friend.Give me some input and i am willing to share what I have learned.or shoot me a pm with a phone # I will be glad to give you my take.The bottom line for me is I would not say tis type of hunting is easy, (but sometimes it is) but it is a great adventure and a learning curve....

Reactions: rrflyer
Im not much at typing, and this could take a while, I have been OTC , DIY before these acronyms existed, over 40 years 42 to be exact.There is a lot to learn,.....but thats half the fun. The number 1 question is where do you live and how far are you willing to travel ? The next question is how are you planning to hunt rifle or bow ? Whay are your expectations are they realistic how persistent are you ? Mindset is #1 on difficult/ odds not in your favor hunts.How much home work are you willing to do ? Google earth is your friend, the cell phone is your friend, luck and weather are you friend.Give me some input and i am willing to share what I have learned.or shoot me a pm with a phone # I will be glad to give you my take.The bottom line for me is I would not say tis type of hunting is easy, (but sometimes it is) but it is a great adventure and a learning curve....

Live in WV/PA area. Considering CO because of tag availability. Rifle hunting because of Dad. Expectations/hopes are to come home with 1 legal antlered elk, size does not matter. Although i realize there is a low chance of that happening. As far as persistence and homework i'm the type who is constantly looking at maps and scouting where i live. I hunt every minute i can and take most of my vacation to hunt. Being out all day in rain and snow is something i do every year. We tent camp on a regular basis. I'm ecstatic just thinking that this misery is a possibility lol.

There's a lot of information on the CO Parks and Wildlife site. Success rate, License Draw results, where most of the Elk are located and migration routes.

I went two years ago north of Craig in the 4th season. I was really hoping for snow and cold to bring the Elk down. It was mild weather so no joy. The herd in that area is suppose to be around 23,000. I don't know where they hide but I didn't see any.

what ever you see on google earth it is a minimum of 5 times worse in person change the perspective settings to 2 percent will give a little better out look. I have found that just because it has a walking trail in idaho marked does not mean there is one. also know how to use and put chains on. Use the shit you plan to use at home and work the kinks out there. Rokslide is a great site for all things back country. Take any and all advise from the people who are offering. If going colorado look into the medicine that will help with elevation sickness. And start hiking now with weight in your pack. Water is also an issue in colorado in places so having a plan ahead of time is good i know a guy who gained and lost 2000 ft of elevation every time he went and go water. back pack hunting is not comfortable and there is a lot of suck involved but the rewards far out weigh the suck. Being mentally tough enough to stay in for 5 plus days is the biggest challenge i have found especially after a few days of seeing no animals