• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Planting food plots in late summer

186thFCo

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2017
Hey I was hoping to get some information on planting food plots now in early September for whitetail. I know that I should have had this all done months ago but I never had the time, do to work, plus the property that I hunt is not my own.

Any recommendations on what I should plant, or how to go about it? It will only be a small, roughly 1/4 acre plot and I don't have any big equipment to make things easier on me.

thanks for the help.

Depends on your latitude. What state are you talking about?

I think you’ve missed your chance for this year, by a long ways. However, you can plant this fall for next year depending on your crop. There are lots of grains and grasses that do well planted in the fall, gives them a head start in the spring. It really just depends on what you plant, and your climate.

So this is my “food plot” I’m actually very surprised that anything grew. I ended up using a seed mix call Late Bite and this has only been growing for 2 weeks at this point. All I did for prep is I cleared the area out with a brush hog raked it up a bit and seeded right before it rained, not bad for half assing it.
55C289B7-6286-4327-9F3E-8DBB7992DA13.jpeg

Up north in SD I plant cover crops last mid August thru mid September. Radish, canola, purple top turnip's, deer love them & they help loosen soil.