• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Plate Carriers

PBWalsh

Preston Walsh Fitness
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
Central AL
Hi y’all,

Another PC is most likely going to be my next purchase. Already have a Blue Force Gear Plateminus with Hesco L210s, 3x AR-15 shingle, and a small admin pouch. Not a bad carrier for the price I got it for, but I’m looking to upgrade and regulate this one as a backup/loaner/slick PC. Not a huge fan of how the cummerbund closed on the sides and it ain’t the most comfortable thing ever with the plates right against the body.

Was hard set on a minimalist carrier like the Trex Arms AC1 or the Crye JPC 2.0. After talking to some folks and looking at other carriers, I got to considering the First Spear Strandhögg. Its definitely bulkier, but appears to carry weight better and be overall more comfortable. I kinda like the FS tubes idea as there is not velcro to wear out.

Any PC I get will most likely have a Haley Strategic micro rig placard attached. I may or may not place items in the cummerbund, just depends on bulk and the ability to reach said items.

So with that out of the way, questions.

1. Has anyone had a JPC, AC1, or another similar carrier‘s cummerbund ever wear out from don/doffing? I usually wear mine 2x a month while at the range, and sometimes while running down my street for additional weight. If society did fall apart, this new carrier is what’d I’d use if I needed one. Say that to say, I need it to last.

2. For those who have used FS tubes, how flexible are they to go from a tshirt to sweater (hot/cold wear)? Any issues otherwise?

3. Is the increased comfort of the Strandhögg worth the additional $2-300 over a minimalist carrier? I’m not super concerned with money, but I still need to ask.

4. The FS Strandhögg appears to have shoulder pads that may interfere with mounting a rifle. Am I off base or correct here?

Any further input on the FS would be appreciated as I’m not finding tons of reviews on it. To mount a placard, I’ll be using Velocity Systems’ swift clips and an AXL velcro field. It‘ll add a bit of cost, but give me the same flexibility of the other carriers.

For now at least, this new carrier will also be used with Hesco L210s.

Anyways, just looking for a bit better carrier and these three stick out to me.

As always, I appreciate the thoughts of the folks on here.

The modularity with the Mayflower APC swift clip setup and Haley Strategic Rigs is hard to beat. Extremely versatile and quick to change load outs.

If you’re only considering switching from the JPC or AC1 because of the lack of FS tubes, there’s a few companies that make replacement cummerbunds for them. You could be in a JPC 2.0 and replacement cummerbund w/FS tubes for cheaper than the cost of a Strandhogg. I ordered (and am still waiting on; lead times say 10-12 weeks, and I’m waiting on a return CS email at 14 weeks) an A&A Tactical SEACU cummerbund (stupid name, but I like the design).

For the JPC style carrier;

For the AC1/Slickster style carrier;

Personally I think this setup is a better option (as long as you don’t plan to add side armor) than the Strandhogg, which looks pretty damn bulky to me. I have zero firsthand experience with it though, so take that for what it’s worth.

1) I’ve never worn out any of my velcro, but I don’t use my carrier that hard either. A few shooting sessions a year, otherwise most of my training is in my IIIa vest. I’ll say that the tubes are extremely convenient having played with some other peoples gear which is why I splurged and am replacing my cummerbund.

2) Flexibility in heavier clothing will still need to be adjusted just like if you were still using the velcro. That said, the elastic cummerbunds like I posted above give you a much wider range of movement and comfort. If you only have to move the velcro once in the spring to tighten, and once in the fall to loosen to fit your clothing, you’re still going easier on the velcro material than doing it every time you don/doff like you would otherwise.

3) Sorry, can’t help here with no Strandhogg experience.

4) I would have the same concerns, which is why I went with a minimalist carrier approach. Thinking I’m also going to pick up a Ferro FCPC V5 eventually to set up as my overt carrier, and releagate my current carrier to covert purposes. It seems highly regarded for comfort, even with a minimalist shoulder strap design.

Reactions: PBWalsh
I'm a big fan of the Velocity Systems/Mayflower carriers. FS carriers are great, but I would seriously consider a Scarab if you haven't already and are only looking at wearing plates.

I would avoid the T. Rex Arms carriers, as I've seen a few of them with stitching that was not uniform, and I wasn't super impressed with how comfortable they were by comparison with Spiritus or Ferro Concepts carriers... or even compared to a First Spear Slick carrier.

Also, if you're already spending nearly $200 on a plate carrier, look at a number of solutions from companies such as Beez Combat Systems and Crye Precision. It's also helpful to decide if you want a plate carrier that is lower profile and can be scaled, or an armor system that will take plates and soft armor, but might be more bulky/obtrusive to begin with...

A few points re: cummerbunds and such: they are replaceable items, and there are a number of companies whose cummerbund systems will interface with each other.

There are also a number of companies that make aftermarket cummerbunds that will fit nearly every reputable plate carrier on the market. A&A tactical, Arbor Arms, and Coyote Tactical Solutions make aftermarket 'bunds, but make sure that you check your compatibility first.

FS Tubes are really great for quick donning and doffing, but they are not elastic: it's rather the cummerbund material/adjustment setup that will allow for more or less"give". My only gripe, per-se with Tubes is that they take up a bit of front real-estate, but it isn't really a drawback in my opinion. They will go from hot weather to cold weather just fine, as it's more a question of adjusting your 'bund tightness in back, or having enough elastic built into the 'bund to begin with.

As @Anb618 noted the companies above in their reply, I'll go a bit further.

I can verify that the SEACU Cummerbunds are pretty great, as I own one, and once the elastic is worked in, you can fit a ton of extra stuff in the pockets. They are worth the time/wait.

I also own an Arbor Arms Non-Maritime Cummerbund that is nice if you want something that is elastic, accepts pouches, and very low profile by comparison.
https://arborarmsusa.com/shop/cummerbund-kits/fnmc-kit-non-maritime/#cummerbund-options

I do think that what @Jigstick mentioned regarding SwiftClip modularity with QASM buckles is hard to beat, and the AXL Advanced clip adapters are a good option too. The footprint is pretty widely accepted and supported by companies making "placard" style rigs.

@Anb618

Very interesting, far better option than another I was seeing. I guess I’d have to see now if I really want the additional padding with the FS.

@Leftie Yes I did look at the VS Scarab LT. Reminds me of my lowly issued 3A carrier and that probably turned me off it. Though I’m sure its far better quality than what I’ve been issued. Plus side is that it comes with swift clips.

Yeah I’m looking at PC+L210s+micro rig+(maybe) 1-2 items in the cummerbunds per side, perhaps an extra AR mag/pistol mag/IFAK. So all in all, I will not be adding a ton of weight as I prefer mobility over being a tank. Speed is survivability. Comfort, while secondary to speed, is still a consideration I want to explore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anb618
@Anb618

Very interesting, far better option than another I was seeing. I guess I’d have to see now if I really want the additional padding with the FS.
When you say padding, do you mean next to body, or do you mean on the shoulders? There are a number of companies that make internal inserts to keep the plates directly off of your body, such as these guys:

I haven't tried any of these, but they might be helpful.

I’m a plate carrier newb but I’m surprised at how Comfortable the Scarab LT is.
I’d recommend it.

@Leftie

Mainly for back padding around the scapula and just a bit on the shoulders. My front plate doesn’t bother me at all without padding. Sounds weird but I guess its just my upper body is built.

I’ve seriously considered Qore’s ice system for the summer months. A full range day at 95*+ takes a toll.

FWIW, my buddy's FS tube broke yesterday taking it off; I was wearing the same kit at the time, so that's probably going to force a switch. And like was already mentioned, it takes up some really important real estate in the front, right next to the front panel--pushes back TQs or mag pouches, and everything else you run on your cummerbund.

I've run eagle industries, JPC, DA spitfire, husar kirys. That said, my next PC will be a FCPC v5 from ferro. You could take a look at those or the slickster if you want to be more minimalist. Throw some female clips on the molle for either and youre good to go with your chest placard.

he was just popping off the shoulder tube to slip out of the kit like we always do.

just looked into it, they were NOT FS tubes. they're very similar.. I think they're 2m ROC tubes, but not 100% certain. it was an early model of the kit

Reactions: PBWalsh and Leftie
@Leftie Yes I did look at the VS Scarab LT. Reminds me of my lowly issued 3A carrier and that probably turned me off it. Though I’m sure its far better quality than what I’ve been issued. Plus side is that it comes with swift clips.

Yeah I’m looking at PC+L210s+micro rig+(maybe) 1-2 items in the cummerbunds per side, perhaps an extra AR mag/pistol mag/IFAK. So all in all, I will not be adding a ton of weight as I prefer mobility over being a tank. Speed is survivability. Comfort, while secondary to speed, is still a consideration I want to explore.

If you can try on a Scarab LT, I would highly suggest it. If you can compare it side to side with other carriers, even better.

I totally forgot about this excellent article on Soldier Systems - it's a bit of a long read, but it is a relative information gold mine:

Velocity and Mayflower punch far above their weight when it comes to their carriers' performance than their innocuous look or marketing would suggest.

Been using a jpc gen 1 for the last 3 years with no issues. Slick enough for me and has taken a pretty good beating. I added side plate holders, 2 mag pouches, and an aw ammo pouch to the tubed cummerbund with no issues.