• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Plates and carrier

treillw

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2017
World is crazier and crazier. Suggestions on plates? The carrier is more of a secondary concern, but I'm open to thoughts on them at this time as well, as I'll be wondering about them next.

I've been reading and watching stuff. So far I'm liking the Shotstop gt2 and the Guardian RSTP SA+.

Don't know much of anything about it, but appreciate any advice. Weight, strength, and lifespan are top priorities. Buying new plates every 5 years seems crazy.

Other good options? Reasons one of the two I mentioned is better?

Thanks!

Highcom level 4 ceramic, I forget what model I have.

Hrt tactical makes good plate carriers. This is what I’m running. The back panels they have are nice as well but if it’s you alone and not working in a team don’t bother use an assault pack.

Don’t buy steel. Save your money, I didn’t and sold all my ar500 shit for the above setup with a Hayley strategic micro rig. Lots of other guys with more knowledge than me but it’s better than what I carried in Iraq/afghan.

All plates have an expiration date I believe. Just something you gotta accept. That’s not saying they still might not stop a round after expiration, but wear and tare happens on ceramic. Half way through afghan I was adjusting my kit and both my plates were broken luckily my 1sg gave me his so I could continue on with running missions.

Before you buy, double check the NIJ website to ensure the company and the model is still in compliance with the standard.

If planning on wearing it for any length of time, I'd look for the lightest multi-curve plate that is NIJ. The 5 year thing, probably about 50% of LE in the country is running around with expired armor. There is the possibility the fibers and stuff break down, but for the most part expired armor is usually fine.

Obviously I'm not telling you to use expired armor. You should replace them at 5 years. It's your choice to do otherwise.

Over the last couple decades I've worn everything from steel, ceramic, polyethylene, and soft armor. Most recently was Hesco Multi-Curve polyethylene. They are about 1" thick, but very comfortable overall to wear.

The shotstop are legit. They're local to me and I bought a set after seeing a plate shot with over 100 rounds of various calibers including 300blk, 308, xm193, 3006, m855(a few penetrated but it was after the plate was shot to shit)and 7.62x39. They weigh almost nothing but are a little bulky. I think 4-5 out of 20 of the m855 got through it

Edit to say these were level 3+

Last edited:
When I was working through my active shooter evolution I ended up with some stuff from Highcom Armor. I had some questions on why their armor was priced the way it was and didn’t understand a lot of the technical jargon. I called the 1-800 number and the President of the company answered. We spoke for about an hour and I came away with a heck of a crash course in all things armor. I placed an order and received great products.

My plates are several years old, but up until a couple of years ago they got annual X-rays to make sure there was no structural issues. Mine are Level IV and are heavy as hell. I have a SAPI L in the back and a SAPI M in the front of my TYR Tactical BPC. I did the M in front to offset the weight of loaded mags and allow more freedom of movement.

I also have an 8x10 steel plate, but only wore it when I was doing things with a higher threat expected and a carrier wasn’t appropriate.

IMG_1354.jpeg

IMG_9837.jpeg

Here is some information on threat levels tested:

Velocity is the single biggest factor in ability to defeat armor. Level IV doesn’t necessarily stop small and fast rounds (like 55gr 5.56) as well as a Level III. The standard Level IV is made to stop a single larger, heavier, and slower armor piercing round. Level III is generally better at multi-hit protection, since it has to withstand multiple hits to pass.

Lighter, cheaper, stops more things. Pick the two that matter. You can get more affordable ones that stop a lot but may be an extra say 8-10 lbs you're carrying on you (so have in mind weight adds up if you were thinking to wear for a while.)

Definitely something curved, I'd lean towards multicurve for being a better body fit overall. Or, go single curve and then add in a foam pad for comfort (FirstSpear and others make for around $30.)

For the carriers if you're not looking to weigh it down a ton, anything more streamlined is on the affordable side. For example the Ferro Slickster is $160. The there's options to add on what you want. Lots in the $200-250ish range.

Here is some information on threat levels tested:

Velocity is the single biggest factor in ability to defeat armor. Level IV doesn’t necessarily stop small and fast rounds (like 55gr 5.56) as well as a Level III. The standard Level IV is made to stop a single larger, heavier, and slower armor piercing round. Level III is generally better at multi-hit protection, since it has to withstand multiple hits to pass.
This is also how it has been explained to me on several occasions.

For something that's going to sit on a shelf and maybe get some use someday? Steel is cheap and doesn't expire or delaminate.

Going to use it daily? Get the best and lightest you can afford.

I am issued the Hesco Multi-Curve polyethylene, it is surprisingly comfortable and less hot than any other that I have worn. Has a 10 year service life compared to my 5 year soft armor. Oddly enough the Hesco are more comfortable than the soft and less hot. I would not chose to wear steel or ceramic again unless it was for a really good reason.

Good luck with your choice, I agree with figuring out what your use is and go from there.

Edit: Soft armor is to be stored horizontal flat when not worn so the woven fibers don's sag. We have been told that the sagging fiber is why the soft armor has an expiration date. I have seen soft armor that was visually thicker on the bottom than the top when it was turned in.