• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

play in bolt/receiver interface?

jccobb2

Private
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2008
KY
Having mostly shot gas guns for a while I have a question about bolt action rifles. My 700 action has alot of slop between the bolt and receiver when the bolt is fully retracted. Is this normal in a precision rifle? I understand some of this play is unavoidable in a mass produced firearm, but how much is too much? With the bolt back fully there is maybe a 1/8 to 1/16 of an inch that i can move the bolt around inside the action. However when the bolt is closed it locks up firmly.

Accuracy is acceptable with the rifle, holding on average 1 minute of angle out to 400 yards, before opening up a bit more. Easily could be due to shooter problems, as I'm no 0317.

The rifle is a 2008 produced 5r milspec with 420 rounds down the barrel, sitting on a AICS 1.5

Re: play in bolt/receiver interface?

Per Marty from Badger Ordnance; "behind the lugs could be made out of marshmellows"! It's all in the lockup!

Remington’s are that way. Some of the bolt raceways I've measured have been .701" in the front receiver ring and .705" in the rear. Most are with in .002" front to rear but, there are some loose ones out here. The main problem is in the rear clearances as when the bolt is closed the trigger sear bar and striker assembly force the bolt body up in the rear degrading the top bolt lug contact and slightly changing the bolt face relationship to the chambered round. You need some clearence in a field type rifle but, too much is as bad as too little.

I wouldn't give it a second thought ubless it developed a tendency to stick while cycling, or the noise level created an operational problem.

sounds like i need to "shutup and shoot"

lexington, south broadway