• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Played with the lathe last night/ Rifle makeover

patches

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2009
Wichita KS
www.smtco.biz
I haven't been shooting much since I can't find varget to load (if anyone has some and feels like helping a brother out give me a shout!!!)... Aspiring to build my own rifle one day from raw components I began to work on a project rifle. I purchased this rifle from a hide member and it was originally built by AJ Brown (very low round count of 75). It's a fine built rifle but it was Krylon'd green and yellow, and had too long of a barrel for a 1:10 twist 308 IMHO. So GAP chop it down to 18" and I had the stock Multicam diped with clear duracoat. Next, all the metal was blasted and refinished. FInally I fired up the lathe a turned the thread protector out of brass. Matches the contour and center perfectly. I was going to paint it, but it looked kinda neat so I left it. It looks a little like gold and that reminds me of the crazy ammo prices! I have never ran a tap using the tailstock and that was a good experience. I'm slowly collecting tooling and parts for my own DIY rifle. I know the bling isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I dig it for now. Worse case scenario I blast it and coat it to match the barrel. Just thought it was kinda neat and I'd post it up. This rifle may be up for sale soon but It's been a run project. Thee glare from the light is real bad in the pics for some reason (iPhone pics).

405541747.jpg

405541748.jpg

405541746.jpg

Rifle before pic:
idc3lw.jpg

Re: Played with the lathe last night/ Rifle makeover

That is a much better after picture.. Nice job on the thread protector.

Very good work. Also, I'm local and have a few pounds of powder to spare if it'd help you out

I don't have any varget, but I would like a price on the thread protector if you'd be willing to make me one.

Nice! Plan on doing a little lathe work of my own to my savage build. Nothing crazy, just a bolt knob. I think i would have made a pretty good gunsmith and enjoyed it far more than this Aircraft mx gig...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hayden033</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very good work. Also, I'm local and have a few pounds of powder to spare if it'd help you out </div></div>

PM headed your way. Thanks!

I kinda like both, before AND after. I just like guns.

Patches, can you tell me which stock it is?

Also, used the linky to SMT. Thanks.

N

Bling! Looks good though. I would def do a matching bolt knob too.

Nice work! I like to see work that is out of the norm. I agree with a matching bolt knob... it would definitely set it off then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks great! Now you need a matching brass bolt knob though
smile.gif
</div></div>

Great idea! Gives me a little project for this weekend!!

Looks good, but I wonder for how long.
It's a somewhat hostile environment, what with the muzzle blast and solvents it's going to encounter.

I'm in the same boat as you with access to machine tools and desire to customize my weapons. I ended up buying 4 ft. lengths of 303 stainless in a few diameters from onlinemetals.com to make muzzle devices out of.

Sharp looking rifle overall.

Joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scudzuki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good, but I wonder for how long.
It's a somewhat hostile environment, what with the muzzle blast and solvents it's going to encounter.

I'm in the same boat as you with access to machine tools and desire to customize my weapons. I ended up buying 4 ft. lengths of 303 stainless in a few diameters from onlinemetals.com to make muzzle devices out of.

Sharp looking rifle overall.

Joe </div></div>

Joe-

Personally, I always shoot with one of my cans attached to the rifle so the brass is strictly a "thread protector" in this instance that will not be run when shooting. But I'm sure it's nothing a little polishing wheel couldn't handle. Thanks for the nice words, not get out there and start playing with your lathe!

Made this just for fun last night. It can always be removed and replaced with the old one. That's how I look at it.

405585270.jpg

Nice! I wish I had access to a lathe...so many ideas running around in my head.