• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Please contribute to this thread

Re: Please contribute to this thread

I'd die with out my RCBS Chargemaster...lol

Hornady comparator - allows you to measure from the bullet ogive

Hornady OAL - allows you to see the distance to lands in YOUR chamber using YOUR bullet

RCBS micrometer seating die - it just works, and I dig the bullet window

RCBS case prep station - deburr, VLD chamfer, small & large primer pocket cleaners, and case neck cleaners all on one station.

I find the RCBS chamfer tool useful for more than just case mouth prep, it is also handy for prepping the other end of the case. Esp with crimped or ,ilitary cases, to which many 223 once fired cases belong

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Winchester 69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">VLD chamfer tool. </div></div>

seconfd on this the VLD tool is the best next to a $400.00 Giraud trimmer

I would highly suggest the Dillon , I do not use the powder station for due to its in accuracy. I have a funnel at the station and when on the top of the stroke for the press I hand measure and dump the charge in one at a time. this may seem wierd but by using the Dillon like this I still have the accuray needed in the powder and still use the other two stations to de prime reprime size and seat the bullet in one stroke.
then for 45 acp i use the powder measure
Bill

"what are the little tools and proceedures which have aided in your quest for personaly remanufactured accuracy."

Sinclair concentricity gage.

Actually, answering this question would require a small book.

If hand weighing, a powder trickler is a necessity. The RCBS case prep center is the cats meow too. I always hated case prep work until I got mine this year. Went from prepping 20 at a time to 100-200 at a time. Now I just need to save up for that Chargemaster
smirk.gif

RCBS Chargemaster
Powder Trickler
Lee Hand Priming tool
Lee Reloading Manual
some type of flash hole deburring tool (I use Lyman)
A primer pocket reamer if he's loading mil brass

For manual trimming I use the Lee Trimmers. No setup, easy as can be. I just picked up a Zip-Trim and it makes things as easy as can be until I pickup a Giraud.

A good scale and trickler. and a chrono, for working up said loads.

RCBS Precision Mic for setting up the dies to bump the shoulder back.

+ 1 brazillion on the RCBS charge master and case prep center. They are the cats meow. And I just gotta add hornady One Shot.

I have been reloading for a pretty long time and have settled on what I believe to be the best Kit for my needs

chargemaster
Lee hand primer
giraud trimmer
harrell's powder measure
RCBS casemaster with pocket uniformer and flashhole deburrer
RCBS prep center
Sinclair Case specific funnels
OLD RCBS Rockchucker Press
dillon tumbler
redding s type F/L sizing and comp seating dies for all (unless you feel like getting custom dies made)
imperial sizing wax
A GOOD QUALITY micrometer
Twice as many loading blocks as you think you need
Twice as many ammo boxes as you think you need
Hornady Headspace Gauge
Sinclair Comparator
A BIG PILE OF FORSTER LOCK RINGS (These are the ones with flat sides you you can install and remove from press with a wrench). I use them on all my dies as well as on the Giraud.

MOST IMPORTANT THING OF ALL--CED M2 Chronograph (without a Chrono you are pissing in the wind)

I use a Dillon RL550B, regular two die RCBS Die sets (mostly), an RCBS electronic scale, and a Dillon Dial Micrometer. I have a Dillon Super Swage, but it seldom gets used these days. Aside from a Dillon primer flip tray and some pickup tubes, that's the entire ballgame. OK maybe I lied. I also have a flash hole reamer, and considerit a cvaluable tool.

All my rifles use SAAMI spec'd chambers. I use that spec because I don't want my rifles to be limited to being able to digest only custom made ammo. Because I use that spec, many of the neato custom ammo tweaks many folks depend on simply have no or perhaps limited value for my guns. I find that I don't really miss the 1/4-1/2MOA of additional accuracy the extras could buy me, and find that even in competition, which is where nearly all my ammo gets fired, my performance is satisfyingly competitive.

What many don't cherish is the time spent doing the extras. It reduces my ammo production output, and also can reduce my range time. But the range time is what's important to me. I my not have the most accurate ammo available, but what ammo I do have, I have a lot of experience shooting. I feel that makes a valuable difference.

greg

as mentioed there is a lot of "satisfaction " in loading you own ammmo in that its the only way to really test and see what the rifle shoots best.
I have to be over $1500.00 in reloading items alone but would not change a thing , suggest you buy the best you can ,
example I went thru 3 scales prior to buying an acculab VIC 123 for $250.00
should have bought this one first and would have saved a bunch of cash .
Buy quality accurate items as you can
Bill

Other things that are handy, that people haven't mentioned is a notebook, for your notes and a calculator. I always use a calculator for seating depth changes when moving to different bullets.

A small shop vac comes in handy too...

I think good lighting is important. I've got one of those adjustable arm desk lamps mounted on one end of my bench and an illuminated magnifying glass version on the other. Relatively inexpensive, and I use those energy saving bulbs so they don't get hot. They help put the light exactly where I need it and the magnifying lamp helps inspection.

I don't know about the shop vac mentioned above, with the static electricity that builds up in those hoses? I probably wouldn't suck up a powder spill with it, might get rather exciting.

I have never done any work with the primer pockets. I need to try it just to see if I gat any improvement. I only use Lapua Brass and I get sub 1/2 moa results to 300 yards, which is the farthest I have ever shot for groups. Something to think about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fret</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I don't know about the shop vac mentioned above, with the static electricity that builds up in those hoses? I probably wouldn't suck up a powder spill with it, might get rather exciting.
</div></div>

Live primers are the ones to worry about. And I have only heard of those going off with push style vacuums.

A Starrett 6" dial caliper.....couldnt live without it!!

Everyone has chipped in with all the common stuff, I guess. Something I use at the range is a voice recorder. It might sound dumb but, it is smaller than a notebook, it is easier than writing when you are practicing field positions. Obviously not a neccessity but it goes in my pocket and I don't have to worry about my ugly penmanship. If I pulled a shot in a group, it is noted by target and shot # very quickly, also if I get a quick gust of wind out of nowhere. Not important but handy

OK, since we're extending this to include the range, I'll add.

Enough optics, one way or another, to clearly observe the the fall of each round.

I design and print my own targets, and this gives me the opportunity to print miniatures. These miniatures get adorned with marks and notes regarding loads, impacts, conditions, etc.; as the shots are fired.

Rather than bullseyes and groups, I design arrays of dots in rows and columns, 1/2" diameter for 100yd, heavy (9 pixel) black border around a field of bright yellow, for maxiumum contrast with the border and crosshairs, and to depict bullet holes most clearly. One shot per dot, every shot is distinct and portrayed in specific order, easily distanguished from the rest, and free from the need to perform any interpretations

I can contrast each shot separately, and combine the results to interpret them in terms of 1-shot, 3-shot, 5-shot, 10-shot, or even 15-shot groups, by measuring distances from target center for each one. Where situations and conditions permit, I will fire up to 15 rounds per load increment, because the larger the dataset, the more consistent the statistics will be relative to real-world shooting.

I don't really care about group sizes.

My key statistic is distance from POA. If you think about this, you will come to see a subtle but relevent difference.

BR shooters' grail is group sizes. Practical shooters' grail is distance from POA.

One of the key things I will note for each shot is whether it was on-call, or off-call. That helps sort the wheat from the chaff.

Shooting individual POA's refines the call process, and emphasizies its crucial importance.

I take personal mental note of my percentages of on-call and off-call shots, as a means of guaging my own performce while in the midst of guaging the system's performance. It's only fair to the gear, that the driver gets a score as well. Each is crucial to the process of marksmanship excellence; but unless we observe and note each, the process will suffer by the degree to which one neglects the one or the other.

Greg

I get it about excellent components. Primers, bullets and propellants are pretty much an as-is proposition. I've never seen any observed advantage from trying to mess with any of them.

Brass is the great variable. It's a hunk of metal, with some integral variance, to which people do things.

Some do more, some do less. Some buy the less and do some of the more themselves; others want it all just waiting there for them on the silver platter. Some of what they do is warranted by actually observed results, some gets done on faith in secondhand information.

Whatever you do, at least take the time to determine how it actually affects the outcome. Times like these, while components are in short supply, make such endeavors worth waiting for better times before going in deep.

Whatever else you do, shoot a lot fo .22LR. It will undoubtedly make your marksmanship skill more worthy of the effort you invest into making the best centerfire ammo you can. The very worst thing you can do is to go to all that trouble and then waste the ammo on less than your best marksmanship capacity. Ammo is valuable, good ammo is precious; treat it with the proper degree of respect.

Greg