• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Please educate me on DPMS

Fatorangecat

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2012
Amanda, Oh
I would like to get a DPMS LR-308. It appears there is more than one type of upper receiver. At some point the height of the rail was changed. Can someone please tell me the difference between upper receivers and point me in the right direction.

The original LR-308's had a higher rail height, and a "lo-profile" style upper receiver modeled after their 6061 Lo-Pro Classic .223, (which sold for around $600 back in 2002).

Because of this, there is confusion about what to call the higher rail height upper, so many handguard manufacturers specify the difference with an actual measurement.

Later, DPMS came out with the AP4 series, and the rail height was lowered to the same height as an SR-25. The AP4 upper also has a spent case deflector, and a forward assist that is of limited to no use.

If you have a specific ring height that will match up well with your cheek location, either of the receivers can be a good match for your anatomy, but most of us prefer the AP4 style upper. Troy has some great pics of the difference:

http://762ar.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/DPMS_RECEIVER_HEIGHTS.jpg