• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

please explane bushings for dies to me..

slavage

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2013
pa
got the long rifle 308 bolt action all most done
and ide like to get some 308 dies , I have the standard redding 308 Fl with there seating die
but now there is a redding group buy ide like to get a comp seating die along with a body die and a fl and nk bushing dies so two questions
1) I have a regular fl sizing die do I really need the fl bushing die?

2) how do I figure out what size bushing I will need?
I have 178 a-max on order and will like to try bthps and a few other brands weights
thanks for the help
dave

The size bushing you use is determined by the outside neck diameter of a loaded round and how much tension desired. It will be different based on what brass you use because of the neck thickness. Typically in .308 I use .002 tension. My loaded round with Lapua brass measures .338 so I use a .336 bushing.

One benefit of a bushing die is that it doesn't overwork the neck when sizing. A standard die will collapse the neck several thousandths and rely on an expander ball to size correctly from the inside. Standard dies can be sent back to the manufacturer to be honed out using measurements from fired brass and that is another method to stop the overworking.

When you get a bushing die it will come with an expander installed. My best results are if you take it off and put the plastic piece supplied in its place to still use the decapping pin.

Like jelrod said, but I use a 334 bushing for my Lapua brass, the 336 bushing wasn't near enough tension, like NONE at all, and my cases were loaded at .338 also. My 308s seem to shoot best with .002". I dont use the expander either and I dont use my regular Hornady dies any longer.

You may want to think about just getting the competition seating die and a Type S FL bushing die. It will eliminate the need for the body die even if you plan on getting a neck sizing die. Over the years I have acquired the competition sets that have the neck sizing die and body dies but pretty much use the Type S FL dies most of the time. I adjust the dies to where the shoulder is set back about .001 and have not had any chambering or accuracy issues. However, I do have one rifle with a loose chamber that I will neck size since I don't want to overwork the brass but still need to FL size after a couple of firings. Get a range of bushings so you can handle brass with different neck wall thickness as well as adjust neck tension. I use a ball micrometer to measure neck wall thickness to determine what size bushing is appropriate.

I always try to use full length 's' type bushing dies where the calibre allows . Bushings allow you to control neck tension which allow you to fine tune .