• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Please Help a Student Out - Receiver Drilling

Carolina Shooter

Private
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2011
NC
Fellas, I could use some help from those of you experienced with drilling and tapping receivers for scope mounts. This is a long one, so if you'll bear with me I'd appreciate it. I'm a student and I've been instructed on how to use a Forster Universal Sight Mounting Fixture. However, I've given a lot of thought to this methodology and I'm not confident I understand the best way to accomplish this. I'll admit up front I'm particular as hell. I'm not knocking what I've been taught but I also won't be satisfied until I'm sure I'm going about this the best way. I've also already used this fixture to install a one piece base on a Mauser that ended up cocked to one side. No biggie. That's part of the learning process I suppose, but I plan to get this figured out before I do another one.

Here's my first question. I've read through the instructions for the fixture carefully and here's one of the statements that jump out at me: "The V-blocks align the gun by the barrel. Even if the action is not exactly in line with the barrel, the fixture automatically corrects this error and drills the holes true with the barrel." This bothers me. It seems to me that this is not a correction at all, but is instead reinforcing a problem.

I've chambered a couple Mausers and I know the bores in those barrels were nowhere near concentric to the outer contour of the barrels. They were visibly off center and I understand this is fairly typical. So if I align the barrel in the V-blocks and the bore is off to the left or right, and my barrel shank is threaded concentric to the bore, then my receiver is going to be out of line with the barrel and my holes are going to be off center on the receiver. I'm pretty sure this is what caused the problem with the receiver I screwed up.

It seems to me this fixture has inherent design flaws based on the false premise that receiver holes should be lined up with the outer barrel contour. Am I off base here? I know everybody and their brother uses this fixture, but it's got to make sense to me before I'll go along with it.

So on to the next piece of the instructions that grabbed my attention: "If the desired holes are not on the center line of the barrel, the fixture still can be used to hold the gun squarely and steadily in the drill press. In this case, the over-arm is not used." This seems like it would be a better way to use the fixture - as a work holding fixture only, not for aligning your holes. At this point I feel like I'd be better off if I took the arm off and slung it out in the weeds.

The front receiver ring was ground with a surface grinder. I was thinking I should use an edge finder on the outside of the receiver to locate my first hole. Then maybe a center finder in the screw hole in the tang to make sure everything is lined up before drilling the rest of my holes. What do you guys think about that method? BUT........if I don't use the arm that leaves me with the problem of drilling my holes with no support bushing. I don't see why I can't do that. It seems like if I start my holes gently with a center drill I shouldn't have any problem with a drill walking or anything like that. But I know that's frowned upon. I'm wondering about your experiences with that too.

Then I realized I have another potential problem. If I align the holes on the receiver but the receiver threads happen to be out of square I'll end up with a receiver pointing one way, a barrel pointing the other way and potential zeroing issues. This could probably be eliminated by drilling the holes in line with the receiver threads before barreling, then timing the bore runout to 12 o'clock. Problem is I have to deal with actions that are already barreled.

Last but not least, I know I want everything to be as true as possible, but ultimately it has to look right too. Regardless of the methodology I use, if I end up with screw holes that appear off center or a base that is cocked to the side when positioned on the round receiver - I can't have that either.

So this is my long winded way of asking you guys how the hell you do it. How do you drill receivers? Have you run into these types of problems? What do you do about it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
MANY, MANY thanks to Brad at Phoenix Custom Rifles!!!

He took the time out of his busy schedule to school me up over the phone on the method he uses. It made perfect sense to me, I took a bunch of notes while he was talking and it's the way I'm going to do it from now on.

What a weight off my shoulders. I was getting frustrated trying to find a better way. Thanks again Brad!

Well uh, What did he say? I've done it myself and gotten good results. Also some not so good ones, and I don't know whether it was the jig, or some other problem.
One thing that helps with the jig is a nice big drill press table.

I use a v-block type fixture to locate the guard screw holes bdc in the mill. I then use an arbor inserted in the boltway and an idicator on the quill to dial the action in so it's running parallel to the table travel. Touch off the arbor and do the math to center things up and you're good to go.

Carolina Shooter wrote:

*It seems to me this fixture has inherent design flaws based on the false premise that receiver holes should be lined up with the outer barrel contour. Am I off base here?*

Nope. You're dead on target.

The sight base holes should be on the receiver centerline. The center axis of the barrel is a non-issue. By trying to align the sightbase holes off of the Exterior of the barrel, you're 99.9999999% of the time to get things totally screwed up.

* If I align the holes on the receiver but the receiver threads happen to be out of square I'll end up with a receiver pointing one way, a barrel pointing the other way and potential zeroing issues.*

* How do you drill receivers? Have you run into these types of problems? What do you do about it?*

True and true. Working with a part that someone else has already ground and welded on isn't going to make things easier. The only way to do it right is to center up the receiver by the centerline and index all your machining operations from there. period. If that means taking the extra time to yank the barrel, then that's what you do.

If your customer wants to put a set of sightbases on a non-standard (Reworked) receiver, explain to them in great detail that there's no chance in hell of having it turn out right unless you braze the damn things on with solder(sp). In which case you'd index the rings and bases with barstock, matched to the receiver centerline and fill in the gaps with metal. otherwise tell the customer to save his money and just buy a newer rifle.

My $.02

Well uh, What did he say? I've done it myself and gotten good results. Also some not so good ones, and I don't know whether it was the jig, or some other problem.

I decided against quoting his advice here. Not trying to be a jerk - it's just that if I happen to screw up any of the details I don't want it to be misinterpreted as an error on his part. I will say that he uses a completely different setup that doesn't involve anything like the Forster fixture I was using. The holes are drilled prior to barreling.