• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Please help me figure out which TRG in .308 to get

Jer

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2008
Loveland, Colorado
I've decided I want a Sako TRG in .308 (TRG-22 I think it is) and am trying to figure out what options will be the best or are more desirable and for what reasons. I like the Desert Tan better but wonder if it's the half pound heavier weight like the green is from the black. What about barrel length? Our local store has one of the 20" versions but how much velocity will I give up in a .308 going this route? I think what I've read says I shouldn't sacrifice too much velocity in a .308 down to 20" but below that is where you start losing noticeable velocity. I would imagine they make a 27" for a reason though so should I stick with the longer version for performance? What about blued vs parkerized? I've seen there are two options and am wondering which of the two is better and why. I've seen that they have a rail/base for optics/rings but is this an option and not standard? I think I read this was about $200 more to have this included. I'm new to TRG and bolt guns as a whole for that matter so any help would be greatly appreciated. I've done some searching but haven't really gotten my questions answered so I thought it would be easier to just start a thread where I could communicate directly with those who have the info.

Thanks!

Re: Please help me figure out which TRG in .308 to get

Here's some reading HERE. There's lots of info from previous threads on here. The color and black vs parkerized is a personal choice. I prefer the all black with blued barrel look, and was glad that version was less expensive. I went with the 3 ring Sako 30 MOA base/ring set-up and I love it. It is very sturdy. The Sako bipod is a little loose, but does provide a decent bipod. It is expensive, though. I went with the Harris #6 (or #6A) adapter under rail to mount a standard Harris bipod. It works fine. Get an extra mag or two if plan to compete with it. It is a very good choice in rifle. The trigger is the best thing about the gun. Don't forget about the TRG 42 in 300WM. It hammers!!!

Thanks for the response. I will read through that link (assuming it's not one of the threads I already read through that just created more questions than answers that is) and hopefully it has what I'm looking for. I can't do the base ring setup because I have a 35mm US Optics that's going on it that already has USO rings so I just need a rail to mount it to. I would like to go with an Atlas bipod attached to the front because I like that batter than under the forearm part of the stock as you can get a better angle laying into it. I have a Remington 700 Police in .338 Lapua so if I need something that hammers... I'm covered ;-) I'm just looking for something a little more 'daily driver' that will drive tacks out to 1,000 and get more miles than my canon of a bolt gun I have now. Good to know that the blued/parkerized thing is strictly cosmetic. I wasn't sure if one had a more durable coat or not.

I have to second vhat ChadTRG42 wrote. The Green/parkerized versions are the "Military" versions. The stock is reinforced with some additional aluminum pieces for military use. Here it costs app. USD 500 more, so I went with the basic versions and cannot be happier. I aksed myself: will I parachute with the rifle from aircrafts behind enemy lines?

Regarding the barrel length, I have the 26" version and it is sweet.

I also got the Sako muzzle brake and bipod. They cost serious money but both are great. I love the bipod.

Go Sako and you will never regret it.

I would stick to the Green/Parkerized version. You get a little more in accessories that is included with the weapon than the Black/Blue version. Sometimes those little extras count!

Either way, you will not go wrong for what you choose. The 26" barrel will be accurate and retain the velocity, yet the 20" will be more handy and will have some velocity loss. If you reload, then you can adjust that load for more speed in the 20".

If you only need the base, there are a few manufactures out there so you just have to choose what you want. Easy enough!

Accessories. Well, yes the Sako accessories are expensive. But when you consider the price of buying others, shipping, or sending off to a Smith to get work done, are you really saving anymore cash? It's a draw in most cases. The good thing about this is if you buy Sako, the piece you are getting is made for the rifle.

I bought the Sako Bipod a few months ago. I pondered for a while on should I buy one or use a harris due to the money factor. I decided to buy it and try it out. Well, for me it was worth every penny spent in my case. Very stable and nice adjustability. It swivels a little too much for my likeing. I just added a little rubber o-ring to the base of it to stiffen it up, works like a charm. Another reason for the purchase, I can use it on my 3 TRG's, put it on or off within seconds, as compaired to a harris which takes a little more effort.

Either way, once you get one and get it up and running, you will like the system.

Re: Please help me figure out which TRG in .308 to

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 8up</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would stick to the Green/Parkerized version. You get a little more in accessories that is included with the weapon than the Black/Blue version.</div></div>

What extra accessories? Not flaming, just asking. I have a TRG-22 in desert tan and, with the USO ST-10 on top, it is more than heavy enough. I have the phosphatized action and barrel. They are really nice, so it is really based on looks as to which one to get as far as I am concerned. IF you are getting accessories worth the premium let us know. I wasn't aware.

Josh

Sorry, should have clarified. What those little extras you get compaired to the Black/Blue version is just the sling attachments. On the Blued version you get none. At least with the Green/Parkerize you have the rail sling eyebolt attachments and for the rear stock on both sides.

I have the green/phos version. Try the 20MOA Badger from Alex at Euro. It should be perfect with your USO. That is what I'm running now with a 8-32x56 NF. Many also swear by the Near Mfg. unit. Warne has the best price point in a rail. Have used the 26" out to 1000 with good results. I use the Sako bipod for field and the Harris with an adapter for targets. IMHO, best value in a high-end factory rifle. AG

I have a TRG 42 and a TRG 22. Right now the rifles are both over at Tac Ops to cut the bbl down. Also, being threaded for Tac Ops suppressers. I am having the TRG cut down to 20" and the TRG 42 down to 24". I have seen the Tan stock with the 20" bbl and it looks awesome.

Unfortunately, I had to sell the scopes I had mounted on my TRGs. So, it won't be until I am settle in TX before I can give a report on how they shoot. I haven't shot the TRG 22; I purchase it on here at the Hide a while ago. The TRG 42 shoots lights outs and that's why I purchased the TRG 22.

So whatever you do just make sure you get a TRG you will not regret it.

Jamie

Give Alex a call at Europtic llc he has a few at a very low price.Id get the 20" green with brake and bipods.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 8up</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry, should have clarified. What those little extras you get compaired to the Black/Blue version is just the sling attachments. On the Blued version you get none. At least with the Green/Parkerize you have the rail sling eyebolt attachments and for the rear stock on both sides. </div></div>

Got it. However, I think most of the current production come with those. Mine did. I also ordered mine from Alex at Euro Optic. He is a gentleman to deal with and will get you close to, if not the best, price around. Go with the 20". I have the 26" and it will be getting chopped sometime in the future. It's a substantial rifle to begin with and the extra 6 inches makes a difference.

Lastly, I have a NEAR scope base on mine and it has to be one of the nicest pieces of machine work I have seen in awhile. He has recoil lugs on the bottom that mesh with the recesses on top of the receiver. It's worth the money.

Josh

What distances are you with a 20" barrel able to get to? Will a suppressor help out at all with velocity? I realize that it won't put the effective length back at 27" but even if I get 2-3" of effective length out of a suppressor that will help get a little velocity back.

As for the NEAR base I was looking at them for my Remington .338LM gun and he wanted $175 for a base. I'm sure it's nice but Seekins also has a recoil lug base for quite a bit less. If the base mates up with the holes in the top though I may have to look at them again for this one as I did see pictures of that on their site and they looked sharp.

What kind of a price are you guys talking about? You can PM me if we're not allowed to discuss that publicly but I'm just trying to find the best price since the actual rifle will be the same no matter where I get it.

Call Alex about the price. He will be able to tell you what is in stock and how much it costs. They will answer the phone or call you back. The 20" will get you to 1000 yards, so don't worry about it.

I don't think Glen (Seekins) makes a base for the TRG. We have pretty much named the manufacturers who do. The TRG has a flat top receiver, not radiused like the 700. The recoil lug is vastly different than what is used for the 700. You are going to spend around 2500 on the rifle (that is around the price I got mine from Alex), you should be able to suck up a few dollars worth of premium. Hell, the mags cost more than the any of the bases. I will try to find a pic of the mounting surface for the base. You will then know what I mean about the recoil slots.

Josh

+1 for Near Manufacturing. I run both the scope base along with his muzzle brake. Jer... I noticed that you are from Colorado. If you want to shoot a .308 TRG w/ the Near MFG scope base & Near MFG muzzle brake just let me know. - PM sent to you.

Ok, here it is. Looks a little different from a Remy 700, doesn't it?

NearTRGBase1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call Alex about the price. He will be able to tell you what is in stock and how much it costs. They will answer the phone or call you back. The 20" will get you to 1000 yards, so don't worry about it.

I don't think Glen (Seekins) makes a base for the TRG. We have pretty much named the manufacturers who do. The TRG has a flat top receiver, not radiused like the 700. The recoil lug is vastly different than what is used for the 700. You are going to spend around 2500 on the rifle (that is around the price I got mine from Alex), you should be able to suck up a few dollars worth of premium. Hell, the mags cost more than the any of the bases. I will try to find a pic of the mounting surface for the base. You will then know what I mean about the recoil slots.

Josh </div></div>

No need, I know exactly what you're talking about with the TRG base. I saw it when I was looking for another one and I actually quite liked it. I can see $175 for that one with the machining that is involved but was having a hard time with the Remington 700 one that was just a basic lug machined into the bottom and wasn't anything fancy otherwise. I need a 20MOA base and will likely go with a NEAR but want to see what all my options are for this particular rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TBass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for Near Manufacturing. I run both the scope base along with his muzzle brake. Jer... I noticed that you are from Colorado. If you want to shoot a .308 TRG w/ the Near MFG scope base & Near MFG muzzle brake just let me know. - PM sent to you. </div></div>

I got your PM and was getting ready to reply. We're actually in the same town and I was just PMing with Diesel who just told me that you are here as well so maybe we'll have to organize a shoot day. I'll fire off a PM shortly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No need, I know exactly what you're talking about with the TRG base. I saw it when I was looking for another one and I actually quite liked it. I can see $175 for that one with the machining that is involved but was having a hard time with the Remington 700 one that was just a basic lug machined into the bottom and wasn't anything fancy otherwise. I need a 20MOA base and will likely go with a NEAR but want to see what all my options are for this particular rifle. </div></div>

Cool. I misread the earlier post to mean that you were going to see if the Seekins would mate up to the TRG. The Warne base is cheaper, but the NEAR is absolutely rock solid and meticulously machined.

Josh

The 5 lug Near base is the best afrermarket base out there. I think they are worth every penny. The last thing I need to complete the system is a couple extra mags.