• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Please help me narrow scope choices

MMAJunkie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2009
Tennessee, USA
I have been looking at scopes until I am about to go crazy. Here are a few of the models I am considering so if anyone has some detailed info on comparing them please chime in

All IORs would be illuminated

IOR 4x15x50
IOR 2x12x36
IOR 3x18x42

Then from Leupold I like the 3.5x10x50 LRT Still deciding on M1 or M3 turrets.
And also their 4.5x14x50 Both of these I would opt for illuminated.

I also looked at a Weaver 3x15x50 Tactical in person and I thought it looked pretty nice and for under $700. Weaver claims that all of their glass internal and external is fully multicoated and it is a FFP reticule

Then finally I am also considering the Bushnell 4200 Tactical 5x15x40 and the Bushnell 6500 2.5x16. both of these are under $800-900 I think

So one question I have is reliability as I keep reading some problems with IOR on occasion. Everyone loves the glass then I hear stuff like the eye piece falls off or something of the sorts. They seem to fix everything but I have to ask.

I was also looking at a Nightforce 3.5x15x50 but ruled it out mainly due to weight as it is over 30-31 ounces plus it is at the top of my price range.

It will be mounted on a AR flattop in 6.8 with an 18" natch barrel, billet receivers etc so its a pretty nice rifle. Most of my shooting will be 100-200 yards on paper and plates at 200-400 yards.

So from that list above can you point out anything to me as to which I should choose?
Glass comparisons?
Rugged build?
Turret/reticule usage and functionality?
Use and feel of focus adjustments and turret and magnification knobs.

Re: Please help me narrow scope choices

Rotts4u,

Before me or anyone helps you sort out your riflescope selections, what things are most important?

The reason for my question, rather than just answering yours, is that each scope you mentioned has strengths and weakness.

For example: The majority of the scope you mention have mixed adjustments. That is to say MIL reticles and MOA (aka MIL/MOA) adjustments. Are you sure that's what you want? Or do you want MIL/MIL, or maybe just MOA/MOA

Some but not all are Second Focal Plain scope (SFP). Some of the scopes listed come in First Focal Plain flavors (FFP). Which do you want? And yes it does make a difference.

Are you shopping for price or features? What is your price range? Which is most important? And what features do you really want?

Some thoughts for you to consider:

You don't need an illuminated reticle to shoot plates.

And plate size targets at a max range of 400 yds don't require a 15x scope.

Your combo (AR 6.8 Rem) seems more like a CQB rifle than a LR precision rig. Your optics should reflect your rifles intended purpose/function.

Later,

Bob

Good points Bob and though I have never used a FFP scope I don't think it is a must for me. I am comfortable ranging at a certain power now so that is fine for me.

I only have one AR target currently and it is a 223 20" SDM setup and it has a Burris XTR 312 on it. I think it is .25 MOA adjustments and has a Mil dot reticule. I seem to do ok with it being mixed but perhaps there is a better way or options I should consider.

As for price vs features I will happily spend more if I felt I could get something of VALUE to me. I just don't know enough about the various options to know where that value lies. So in general I would prefer to stay under the $1500 range but am somewhat open if needed. But a $3000 model is not on my radar screen now.

And I agree that the 6.8 spc is not a super long range cartridge but I will use it on my range as described earlier and perhaps it may stand loaded at home for CQB but I have another AR for that so the range will be the biggest use I think.

Rotts4u: your XTR is a pretty good scope, not alpha glass but really good.

The models you are considering are all good (I particularly like the IOR 3-18x42), but I am not 100% sure if you will feel that the upgrade is worth the $$, when you compare the price you pay to the improvement you will get. Your use of the rifle as described is not unusual in any way, and can be satisfied by many standard scopes. Even a tweener such as a 2-7x would do well at it. I guess what I am saying is that you don't need to spend $1.5K for that. If you want to spend the $$, then, imho, it would be better to spend it on top notch glass, such as Zeiss, Swarovski or Kahles. Right now CDNN sells recently obsoleted Kahles for under $600, which is a phenomenal price for the quality of the glass. Other good options, albeit less pricy than $1.5K, for good glass, would be Minox or Meopta. I am spending some time on the $$ amounts because yours is an upgrade, not a "new" purchase.

That said, here are my thoughts on your choices:
- IOR, all very good glass, reliability seems better than in the past, still there is a question mark. Warranty is very good, CS is good although warranty work can take a while. Of all the models you list, I think the 3x18 is a particularly good scope, with a great combo of low mag FOV, high mag clear glass, and good mechanicals. Illumination is also very good. Their mod8 reticle is second to none. The turrets are OK, imho not the greatest but decent. I think the Burris is more reliable, but the IOR glass is better, and so are the ergonomics.

- Leupold: good glass although not as good as IOR, excellent warranty (best of the batch when you add service in the equation), better in weight, although not by a huge amount. Outstanding choice of reticles and turret styles, although no reticle imho is as good as the IOR mod8. Still, if I went for Leupold, I would go for mil/mil FFP with M5 turrets, imho the very best combo. I would stay with the 3.5x10 so as to still have a decent FOV at low mag for hunting. I am not sure that this option gives you a significant leg up on your XTR glasswise.

- Weaver: I never handled it but the reviews I have read are not good. On that basis I figure the XTR is better.

- Bushnell: basically same glass btw the 4200 and the 6500, the 6500 line is clearly better on other aspects though. The warranty is not transferable, and their CS has a terrible reputation. While some think that it is in the past, I read horror stories on them every week or two. I wouldn't buy.

Mo2c. Good luck. Don't be too hasty in upgrading your XTR:)