• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Please help me with Scope Rings & Base

Rmitch223

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2009
Oklahoma City
I'm getting ready to purchase a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 SFP Scope.

Its going on my Rem. 700 SPS Varmint in .243

I was thinking about going with Badger rings and base, but I'm now looking at TPS Rings and Base to save some cash.

Are TPS rings and bases quality products?

Which height TPS rings should I go with? I was thinking I would be really close using the medium rings which measure 1.075".
Should I be good to go with those rings with a 50mm objective on my rifle?

I usually only shoot from 100-600 yards so should I go with a 20MOA base or 0MOA base?

Thank you,

Ryan

Re: Please help me with Scope Rings & Base

I have TPS rings, medium height, on my RW Snyder Custom 308 and they work well on 20 MOA rail with 50mm scope objective. I don't think you would be disappointed. A 20 MOA rail will give you more options in the future to shoot much longer distances if you desire.

Being as it costs the same and there's no downside to the sloped base, like Sib said, going with the 20 MOA base makes the setup more useful should the opportunity present itself.

Joe

Thing I don't like about Badger rings is they rust. Quickly. They aren't SS. Try NEAR also. They're stainless.

L

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sib1948</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have TPS rings, medium height, on my RW Snyder Custom 308 and they work well on 20 MOA rail with 50mm scope objective. I don't think you would be disappointed. A 20 MOA rail will give you more options in the future to shoot much longer distances if you desire. </div></div>

Can you post a pic of your setup?

Got the scope mounted. Went with the steel TPS rings in medium.
Looks to tall for me. Too far off the barrel and too tall for a good check weld. I could put more inserts in the Traid stock pack to get a better check weld but its still to high off the barrel don't you guys think?

The medium measure 1.075 and the lows I'm gonna try are .925.

Thinks its worth switching the the low rings?

Here are a few pics.
ScopePic1_zps25442b9d.jpg

ScopePic2_zps5bc067a8.jpg

With your set up, I would go low or even super low rings. I have the super lows on an m24 contour barrel, the 20 moa base and a Nightforce 5.5-22x50 and it's so close that I can't use the Butler Creek flip up caps.

Got it all mounted up. I love this scope. It tracks so well. Greatly improved my accuracy at long range.
537230_10200437459118978_1625724364_n.jpg