• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Please Help Me

Stucklatch

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2021
Irving, TX
Good evening folks,

The world of optics and the info on this site is dizzying. I think I need help. I'm open to any suggestions at all. This is my first post so I'll try to do it well.

I want a scope for a Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor for about $1500 and preferably half that. My biggest problem in picking out a scope is my inexperience: I don't know how to evaluate and prioritize the differences between multiple scopes with great reviews but hundreds of dollars in price difference.

The primary role for the rifle is for hunting from fixed positions at ranges of probably 50-200 yards (given it's pigs a lot of the time I'd like to be capable of much longer shots if the opportunity presented itself). Secondary role is for shooting targets and steel. I may be able to stretch the ranges for this kind of shooting as far as I want to. This is the only rifle I have that would fulfill a precision role and I don't anticipate buying any others for a long time, possibly ever. I think, therefore that I'd rather have a jack of all trades, master of none than a specialized system.

As far as personal preferences go a big one is durability. I don't want to be afraid of the scope getting bumped or losing its zero. Also, I think I want a ffp scope. I intend to reload for this rifle and I already bought a 20 moa picatinny base (Leupold 1-Piece Mark 4 Long Range Picatinny-Style Scope Base).

Here's what I've been looking at so far just because it's what's popped up on youtube videos and the like:

Arken Optics SH4 4-16X50 - Rave reviews and I'd rather pay less than more, but I don't know how to evaluate the "for the price range" quallifier.
Primary Arms GLx4 4-16x50 FFP ACSS Apollo
Bushnell Elite Tactical DMR II Rifle Scope 34mm Tube 3.5-21x 50mm
Leupold VX-3i LRP 4.5-14x50mm

Any advice you have is welcome.

Cheers,

If you can find ammo, then you are officially about to go down the rabbit hole. Don’t skimp on the thing that helps you see what you are doing!
Hit scope reviews on youtube and watch. Also ridiculous info on here. Just read up. Several companies have warranties that will cover any/ever issue. I started out like you, now I set up 4 levels of steel in the desert and am hooked with tearing the paint off the 1000 yard target. Ammo = happiness right now.

Is weight of big importance to you? If not then the bushnell DMR deal from midway would be an awesome bang for the buck. If you don’t mind spending a little more I would try to find a Gen 1 Athlon Cronus. They just released the gen 2 so you can now pick up the first gen for around $1100 new and they are an awesome optic.

Reactions: rangerroy
If you can find ammo, then you are officially about to go down the rabbit hole. Don’t skimp on the thing that helps you see what you are doing!
Hit scope reviews on youtube and watch. Also ridiculous info on here. Just read up. Several companies have warranties that will cover any/ever issue. I started out like you, now I set up 4 levels of steel in the desert and am hooked with tearing the paint off the 1000 yard target. Ammo = happiness right now.
Thanks for the advice. I haven't started seriously hunting ammo yet. I had an SPS Tactical in 223 with a cheap scope on it a while back. I had a blast shooting it and reloading to try to get more accuracy out of it. I'm pretty excited to get back into it with a quality setup.

Is weight of big importance to you? If not then the bushnell DMR deal from midway would be an awesome bang for the buck. If you don’t mind spending a little more I would try to find a Gen 1 Athlon Cronus. They just released the gen 2 so you can now pick up the first gen for around $1100 new and they are an awesome optic.
Weight's not an important consideration. I appreciate your advice and I'll keep an eye out for the Athlon Cronus if I don't jump on this DMR deal.

DMR illuminated deal on Midway, if not that then the Cronus BTR. Both are well built scopes from LOW in Japan and come in well under your 1500 max budget.
Tract Toric 4-20 would be great pickup in the 950-1100 range as well.

You would be really surprised the difference in what you can do with a 14x scope vs a 20x scope. I have no experience with any listed here but I recommend at least an 18x scope or higher. Don't short yourself on this just to later regret not getting more magnification.

You would be really surprised the difference in what you can do with a 14x scope vs a 20x scope. I have no experience with any listed here but I recommend at least an 18x scope or higher. Don't short yourself on this just to later regret not getting more magnification.
I really appreciate that advice. Most of my optics experience is at 4x magnification so I'm very poorly equipped to evaluate what I need/want in that regard.

Reactions: Johnny00K
There are negatives to not enough magnification. There is nothing but positives to having more magnification. Keep it under 25x. That Bushnell 21x DMR is about right. People have been talking about that damn deal all week, if that means anything.

DMR illuminated deal on Midway, if not that then the Cronus BTR. Both are well built scopes from LOW in Japan and come in well under your 1500 max budget.
Tract Toric 4-20 would be great pickup in the 950-1100 range as well.
I appreciate the advice. I think I'm just about convinced to go with the DMR but I'll take a look at the Tract Toric.

Reactions: demolitionman
I appreciate the advice. I think I'm just about convinced to go with the DMR but I'll take a look at the Tract Toric.
If the primary role is hunting, I’d look for one with illumination. ffp scopes, the reticle can be hard to make out when you’re zoomed out and in low light like at dusk.

I’d say get a Leupold Mk5 but the illuminated version is so damn expensive compared to non-illumination model

@Stucklatch get this and don’t look back! I’ve got the big brother to this scope (XRS 2). These bushnell elite tacticals are really nice and I think the illuminated version checks all of your boxes.

338E7B3D-DC94-481F-93B3-8CDF52F136FF.jpeg

Last edited:
I have all three of those scope here right now. The tract is very compact and I like it a lot. Ilya (DLO) did his review on the Tract Toric 4-20 (optics thoughts] on this very scope so I know this is a good scope. The Bushy DMR/HDMR 1 and 2 have both proven to be very reliable scopes. The Athlon Cronus BTR has proven itself as well.
Either of these scopes would work good for you, pick out the one that has the features and reticle you like the most. The Cronus will have the best glass followed by the Tract and then the Bushy.
I think the elevation and windage adjustments on these three Would have it
Bushy DMR II>Cronus BTR>Tract Toric
All 3 very similar in weight, I can weigh them for you if you want
Tract and DMR II are both compact and shorter scopes, with the Cronus being a bit longer
All three have illumination, I like the Tract reticle best, followed closely by the Cronus which has the floating cross reticle, and the DMR II is the G3 which is functional but a little blah compared to the great reticles in the other two.
All three have decent to good illumination with the best prob going to the Cronus.
My Tract is pushing just a little bit of CA which is okay, but the Cronus has almost none. Weather has been to bad here since the DMR IIs I have just got here so I haven’t been able to test that out enough to make a judgement yet.
If you’ve got the extra money, the Cronus BTR is the way to go, a little less budget grab one of the other. All three are nice feature filled lower middle tier scopes that are worth owning. To get nicer, you’ve got to spend quite a bit more. All that being said,
The midway deal on the illuminated DMR II is one of the better deals that’s been out there Lately.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC0352
I have all three of those scope here right now. The tract is very compact and I like it a lot. Ilya (DLO) did his review on the Tract Toric 4-20 (optics thoughts] on this very scope so I know this is a good scope. The Bushy DMR/HDMR 1 and 2 have both proven to be very reliable scopes. The Athlon Cronus BTR has proven itself as well.
Either of these scopes would work good for you, pick out the one that has the features and reticle you like the most. The Cronus will have the best glass followed by the Tract and then the Bushy.
I think the elevation and windage adjustments on these three Would have it
Bushy DMR II>Cronus BTR>Tract Toric
All 3 very similar in weight, I can weigh them for you if you want
Tract and DMR II are both compact and shorter scopes, with the Cronus being a bit longer
All three have illumination, I like the Tract reticle best, followed closely by the Cronus which has he floating cross reticle, and the DMR II is the G3 which is functional but a little blah compared to the great reticles in the other two.
All three have decent to good illumination with the best prob going to the Cronus.
My Tract is pushing just a little bit of CA which is okay, but the Cronus has almost none. Weather has been to bad hear since the DMR IIS I have just got here so haven’t been able to test that out enough to make a judgement yet.
If you’ve got the extra money, the Cronus BTR is the way to go, a little less budget grab one of the other. All three are nice feature filled lower middle tier scopes that are worth owning. To get nicer, you got to spend quite a bit more. All that being said,
The midway deal on the illuminated DMR II is one of the better deals been out there
Lately.
Hope this helps.
That is really helpful. I appreciate it. I think I'm convinced at this point to go with the DMR.

@Stucklatch get this and don’t look back! I’ve got the big brother to this scope (XRS 2). These bushnell elite tacticals are really nice and I think the illuminated version checks all of your
@Stucklatch get this and don’t look back! I’ve got the big brother to this scope (XRS 2). These bushnell elite tacticals are really nice and I think the illuminated version checks all of your boxes.

Awesome. I really appreciate the advice. I'm just about convinced.

@Stucklatch
You are welcome. Enjoy talking to people about glass. If you need help,
Just pm and I’ll do what I can.

The LRTSI or HI 4.5-18 is a great lighter weight scope as well. Had a few of those.
Unfortunately, the scope in stock now is the non-illuminated version and for hunting
I always get an illuminated reticle now. Few places I hunt, it gets dark enough to see the deer but not the reticle through the scope if it’s not illuminated. Doesn’t matter if I was running SFP or FFP scopes. It would have to be a SFP scope with a thick ass obtrusive reticle that would be a single use type scope that doesn’t appeal to me.
For each his own though.

That is really helpful. I appreciate it. I think I'm convinced at this point to go with the DMR.
There are some local matches not too far from you, if that’s something you want to try when you get your rifle up and running. Check out Jacob’s Plain Gun Club in Greenville. I’ve never attended their matches but I’ve heard good things.

It’s not something I wanted to do when I dipped my toe into long range shooting, but man am I glad I did! Local one day matches are awesome.

Correct. You can do everything with a 14x that you could do with a 20x. The 14x will have better field of view, less mirage, better trace view and better follow up shots. No need for tons of magnification. Don’t short yourself thinking you need a 20+ power scope, because 90% of the time you’ll run between 10x-and 14x. The only exception being when shooting groups on paper for load development.

Ive got a 5-30 and 3-18 Optika 6 in the MRAD and MRAD1 reticle if you are interested. Fits your needs perfectly and they are well thought of on this forum...just hard to find.

Sketchy man. Late night gun purchases are usually a terrible idea. I've done stupid things with a laptop and a bottle of whiskey before. I think this one will work out for you though. Did you get some expensive rings as well?

There are some local matches not too far from you, if that’s something you want to try when you get your rifle up and running. Check out Jacob’s Plain Gun Club in Greenville. I’ve never attended their matches but I’ve heard good things.

It’s not something I wanted to do when I dipped my toe into long range shooting, but man am I glad I did! Local one day matches are awesome.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. The thought has crossed my mind but I feel like I've got a long way to go in terms of load and skills development before I look into it.

Smart man. They are really nice rings. Sounds like you are set up and just waiting on shipping and good weather.

Smart man. They are really nice rings. Sounds like you are set up and just waiting on shipping and good weather.
That's about the size of it. I'm literally watching videos on reloading right now. It's been years since I've done it and I still need to buy dies and whatnot for the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. The thought has crossed my mind but I feel like I've got a long way to go in terms of load and skills development before I look into it.
I don’t think you’ll regret it. A lot of people say they regret not trying it sooner. It’s hard to know how to practice for it until you’re exposed to it.