• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Please Help!! Swarovski 1-6x BRT or ELCAN 1x/4x for SCAR17, Think Zombie Apoc!

DL32

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
Thank you ahead and appreciate your help. I want ranging capabilities and versatility from 0-500 yds.

I have a lot of time on the Swarovski and some on the Elcan. The Swarovski is the far better choice. The Swar apprears more clear, it has the same point of impact from 1x to 6x (the Elcan has poi shift from 1x and 4x) the mounts on the Elcan are crap and the external adjustments give me pause. No contest here. Swaro all the way.

I have a Vortex coming in for my back up three gun rifle. I will do a comparision thread. Right off the bad the Vortex weighs 7 ounces more and does not have wind holds. Will post more later when the Vortex arrives.
pat

the swarovski wins this one by far, on 1x the field of view is unparalleled, you can get really fast on 1x, not red dot fast but close. i've set up a lot of guys with the swarovski's for 3 gun, dangerous game in africa and alaska, and even 2 for a dmr course. i recommend that optic with confidence. as for the elcan, if you don't mind acog type eye relief, it isn't bad, i prefer a little more eye relief

the swarovski wins this one by far, on 1x the field of view is unparalleled, you can get really fast on 1x, not red dot fast but close. i've set up a lot of guys with the swarovski's for 3 gun, dangerous game in africa and alaska, and even 2 for a dmr course. i recommend that optic with confidence. as for the elcan, if you don't mind acog type eye relief, it isn't bad, i prefer a little more eye relief

how does the swarovski on 1x have a larger fov than the razor on 1x when both are shot both eyes open?

Noob here! First Post ... be gentle. :)

How does Swarovski stand up to abuse? I hear the SCAR 17S is hard on optics. IIRC, Swarovski contracted with Steyr for building the AUG's optic. But I get the impression that Swarovski markets it's line of optics for hunting ... that doesn't instill confidence that the 1-6x will survive the battlefield.

How does Swarovski stand up to abuse? I hear the SCAR 17S is hard on optics. IIRC, Swarovski contracted with Steyr for building the AUG's optic. But I get the impression that Swarovski markets it's line of optics for hunting ... that doesn't instill confidence that the 1-6x will survive the battlefield.

They will take some abuse, I wouldnt worry much about that.

I have a Z6i BRT, looked at the Elcan but have you considered the Leupold mk6 1-6 w/ 308/762 cmr-w reticle?
I put one of these 223/556 version on a Seekins build and it is a very good scope.
The Swaro glass is better but I like the Leupy reticle much better.
I never really was much of a Leupold guy but this one is pretty slick.
YMMV

Most dangerous game rifles are not very gentle. Z6's stand up great on them.

Anybody use the Leupold MK6 1-6x with the TMR-D Reticle? Looks interesting but can't find a thing on it.

Also, how is the MK6 in low light. The 20mm objective seems kind of small.

Here's a previous thread regarding your question.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/showthread.php?t=168839&highlight=scar+optic

My advice is to 86 the zombie talk, and define specifically what you want to do with the rifle and where your budget lies. Are you going to use this for hunting? WIll you be taking this to any precision shooting training? Pair with a spotter? Shoot primarily with a bipod or offhand? Are you looking simply for a Bullet Drop Compensator (BDC) to 500M, or do you want true ranging capabilities in a mil-dot with FFP? I think you'll find more direct responses with this approach.

My advice would be to consider the ELCAN Specter in 1.5-6 with a 7.62 BDC, or a Leupold MK-6 as suggested below. If you wanted to go all out, the Leupold MK-8 CQBSS would be another consideration.

Thanks Lazlo! Are you Hungarian btw?

As for the specifics:
Purpose:
1. Defense, Hunting, 3 gun (that order)
2. I don't need a BDC, I use Mil calculations and dope for my round. Not that good at wind yet unfortunately.
3. Looking at engagement at a max 500 yards. Mostly between 0-200 but want capabilities at 200-500 for proximity shots (hitting 36" steel plates)
4. Budget is up to $3,500,
5. Weight low, I'd like to stay below 20oz.
6. Daytime illum, clear glass and fast at low mag is important.

Thank you.

Swarovski makes fine scopes, they are used to very large calibers on not very heavy guns without muzzle brakes. I wouldn't worry about that. The "rub" folks have with Swaro is they don't like people killing, so they are (this is how it was explained to me) they don't like the whole reticle/turrets thing. That said, they do have reticles for drop and a pretty nice speed reference out to I think 600 yards on their turrets. They also have a drop compensator program for your power and reticle. I looked into getting one for my wife's AR, she loves to bead, uses lots of Swarovski beads, only reason she wants one to this day. I wouldn't worry about it breaking at all.

They have great glass, seem easy to dial (I have only handled the 1-6 Z6) they really are nice.

I don't know a thing about the Elcans.

Reading your last post, I think you are kind of pointing yourself to the 1-6 line, but if you are willing to spend that level of money for a 1-X, did you look at the USO 1-8? You just opened the flood gates on options, and if you are doing mil/mil (turret/reticle) which is what I do, I would suggest NOT getting the Swaro.

Vortex makes an amazing 1-4x PST, it is what rides my favorite AR. The reticle makes it nice for longer engagements, I shoot targets with it out to 600 yards. The turrets repeat like mad, don't have to over travel and come up like I did on one of my Mark 4's (only when it was really hot though did that happen).

I'd call Mike at CS Tactical and talk to him about what your goals are, your budget and when you want to get it. You could find yourself getting literally the best optic possible from a phone call with him.

Yeah what Gildoom said. What would I do if I had that budget? I would get that USO 1-8, or would I get the MK-8? I would get at least one of those and the best AR mount known to man kind, if it were available.

Well I got the Vortex in and I am impressed with it. Better than the Swaro no not even but a great scope for the money. Its freaking heavy and it does not have wind holds. But its robustly built and the glass is clear. Prefer the illumination set up onthe Swaro since you have a day and night setting with memory. But the Vortex dial is not bad and has an off position between every setting. That said if I were getting into the game now instead of when I did I would get the Vortex because of the cost difference.
Pat

On the SCAR I would use the Vortex because of the lifetime no BS warranty. The Swaro warranty is 5 years. Great scope but if your worried about the SCAR killing it I would go with the Vortex. I was about to buy a USO 1-8 but then my furnace gave out costing me 6k. But the USO option seems to be a perfect match for the SCAR 17.