• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

please help with choice between 3 backpacks

BobC

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Maine
I need a backpack and have narrowed the choice down to these three.
Spec Ops T.H.E. Pack
5.11 Tactical Rush72
Eberlestock X-4
I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on these. Thanks for your time.

Re: please help with choice between 3 backpacks

What will you be using the pack for?
Hunting?
Running and Gunning?
Looking cool at the gun range?
Going to the sandbox?
Of the packs you mentioned each can be mission specific depending on how you set it up.

Exactly... Throw us some idea of the use of the pack. I think as far as quality goes I've really been happy with all the 5.11 gear I have. I have their large sling pack and is built really well. Plus I don't think you'll find anyone that will say anything but good stuff about the Eberlestock packs as well.

I think the brightly-colored interior of the Spec Ops pack is just the best idea ever. I don't know why more makers don't do that.

With that said, I've been extremely happy with my Kifaru XRay G1 from 2007. Recently I was toying with the idea of a Molle Express for the slightly larger capacity, but I just reconfigured the XRay instead.
--

I am sure its probably not the best out there but the Spec Op THE is damn good. I can't make direct comparisons but I have a few of them and have used them constantly for several years.
Flight carry-on
motorcycling backpack
hiking day-pack
overnight bag
range bag
etc.

They are well made.

Without knowing your applications, this is a difficult question to answer.

If you're going to be carrying loads in excess of 20 lbs regularly, then the Eberlestock X4 is the way to go. The harness system is head & shoulders better than the other packs listed. The comfort level will be night & day better...

If you're looking for a "utility" pack that allows for customization, then the Spec.OPS T.H.E. pack would get my vote. They are made in the USA, allow for a good bit of space, and are very durable. As far as "assault packs" are concerned, this one is as good or better than anything on the market as far as doing a lot of different things well.

My experience with the 5.11 Rush series of packs hasn't been entirely positive. They offer an attractive design & layout but construction quality has been suspect with a number of packs I've inspected over the last 12-18 months. Also, their pricing has jumped significantly and they no longer represent the same value from several years ago. Now, I know there are a LOT of 5.11 devotees so please don't flame me. I can only go on my experience in evaluating the latest examples & I think you can do just as good with a Condor pack as a 5.11 now, at a fraction of the price.

Just my $.02. Hope this helps & best of luck to you. If you have questions, just ask! Also, please let us know your intended applications, as it may very well lead you to an entirely different set of answers!

Ceylon
deltaoutdoorsman.com

Sorry. Knowing what it will be used for is kind of important.
It will be used as a day pack for hiking and hunting.
I have arthritis in the vertebrae in my neck so I need the pack that distributes the load better than cheaper packs do but I need to keep the price bellow $200.00.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry. Knowing what it will be used for is kind of important.
It will be used as a day pack for hiking and hunting.
I have arthritis in the vertebrae in my neck so I need the pack that distributes the load better than cheaper packs do but I need to keep the price bellow $200.00. </div></div>
Thanks for the reply. This being the case, I would strongly recommend the Eberlestock X4 HiSpeed pack. It has the most robust harness system & it's vertical design will best distribute the cargo weight over the entire area of your back. Most importantly, the waist belt is the most substantial of the others mentioned and will help keep the stress of the load off your shoulders & centered at your hips.

Again, the other packs mentioned are fine in their own right BUT the X4 is "tailor-made" for your needs & physical situation.

Best of luck to you.

Ceylon
deltaoutdoorsman.com

Spec OPS THE pack is a great pack for the already mentioned reasons. The only negative I found with it was using it with body armory. Since you're probably not using it with body armor I would highly recommend it.

My experience would point you towards SpecOps or Eberlestock. I have products from both and quality is super. It's a tough call at times without being able to put hands on but with enough research and some feedback from folks I'm sure you'll be fine.

My go-to pack for work is an Eberlestock Half-track but that's a bit of a different animal than what your looking for though.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...656#Post3115656

I wouldn't hesitate about buying an X-4 if I needed another pack that size, 2300ci and room for a full size laptop too. I say go for it especially if ceylonc can get you a good price on it!

X-4
x4mJ20qtr20sm1.jpg

PM or email ceylonc, that man knows his packs about as well as I know about creeping out women. He offers good prices and high quality stuff, and is a pleasure to do business with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CE1371</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spec OPS THE pack is a great pack for the already mentioned reasons. The only negative I found with it was using it with body armory. Since you're probably not using it with body armor I would highly recommend it. </div></div>

Another happy Spec ops THE pack owner here. Great day pack !