• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

please help.

o1sick7

Private
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2009
utah
ok i have a quick question. i havent been able to figure out. if i buy a classic loader instead of a press rite now. can i use the dies in the press once i get it? the reason for the question is i dont have the money for the press rite now. and probably wont till after the holidays. and i really want to start reloading atleast for my rifle. and the reloaders i have seen have only been $30. appose to $350 for the rcb i want.

Re: please help.

The Lee Classic Loader is a hammer-type neck sizing die (<span style="font-style: italic">die</span>, singular), a decapping punch and base, a powder scoop, and a bullet seating stem. The die body is not threaded, and it cannot be used in a standard 7/8-14 TPI threaded reloading press.

See pic: http://tinyurl.com/yzwxhhv

oh. well now i feel dumb. but i guess its better to ask than assume. thanks man.

you don't say what caliber you want to load for. but, assuming it's not a magnum, you could go with
this and add a set of lee dies for about $29 and be in business. the dies are usable later in whatever press you get and you can use this press as a decapping station if you decide to upgrade later.

Tell us what caliber. I've got boxes of stuff that I've inherited, and I'll be glad to send one if I have it. I've even got a Lee deal with a micrometer, if anyone can believe that.

Purchase carefully. Those old Lee and Lyman tools are good for handgun, particularly black powder calibers. They really aren't good for bottleneck cartridges.

Otherwise, save your money and buy quality stuff that will satisfy your needs. It's unfortunate, but right now the mfrs are shipping everything that they can produce, and quality is suffering. I'm usually dubious of the used market, but if you know what you're buying, you may be better off. Don't buy anything new unless you can inspect it (like from a shop).

If you can find a used RCBS Rockchucker II in good condition, you'll have a fine press. I don't hear much about used Redding, but their equipment should be good, also. Now's the time to be cautious. Thing's may be worse after the first of the year. Ain't I the damned Santa Claus?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: o1sick7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh. well now i feel dumb. but i guess its better to ask than assume. thanks man. </div></div>

No harm, no foul. It's better to ask than to spend money needlessly.

Take a look around and see what's available used. Used reloading dies for <span style="font-style: italic">common</span> calibers are difficult to sell, and usually go <span style="font-style: italic">cheap</span>. RCBS dies have a lifetime warranty, and they will replace them if you have any problems with them. Don't hesitate to use their warranty.

Used reloading presses, on the other hand, seem to be made of <span style="font-style: italic">gold</span>. People tend to want near-new prices for used Rockchuckers and such, but you may stumble across a deal. Garage and yard sales are good places to look. I always ask if I don't see anything - I ask for tools, hunting and reloading gear. Sometimes you'll find bargains, other times not so much.

FWIW, Redding equipment is top-drawer. I would buy used Redding dies without hesitation - and <span style="font-style: italic">have</span>, on occassion.

Good luck!

damn. you guys are awesome!! i am reloading for a .270 and a 30-06. i actually got a lee breech lock challenger press today. but i still need a scale powder dispenser. and what not.

I had a .270 and a ton of 1x brass. I was aving it for a .280ai build I was planning but went with a 6.5x284. If your interested ill work a great price for you on the brass. Probably somewhere arount 400 cases pluss maybe 200 roundds loaded. Let me know

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: o1sick7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I still need a scale powder dispenser. </div></div>
A Dillon beam scale (made by Ohaus) and a set of Lee dippers will satisfy your powder needs. A chamfering tool, Lee AutoPrime, dies and shell holder, Imperial sizing wax, powder funnel, loading block, and a caliper will put you in business.

i just want to say thanks to all the people that have been so willing to help! thanks again.

All and all shooters make up a great community and what goes around comes around. Just keep paying it forward