• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Please Help

Rangewarrior

Private
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2020
Cincinnati, Ohio’ish
I’m currently located in sw Ohio, and have been trying for years to find a place to shoot. I used to set up on my grandparents farm, but since my grandfather passed away that’s not really an option. Rayners is the only place I can find, but it’s over 4 hours away. Anybody know of anything in eastern Indiana or western Ohio would be greatly appreciated.

I’m starting to wish we had public land to shoot in like they do out west and it’s causing some internal conflict in my soul. Please help me find a home range where I can stretch out.
Thanks,

Out west, as much as we at times appreciate access to land to shoot or hunt, we’d much prefer prefer the feds turn it over to the state or private ownership and stop lording over half or more of our states’ land acreage while restricting us from using and earning from it instead of them.

Good luck on your search.

Out west, as much as we at times appreciate access to land to shoot or hunt, we’d much prefer prefer the feds turn it over to the state or private ownership and stop lording over half or more of our states’ land acreage while restricting us from using and earning from it instead of them.

I agree completely they were never intended to own land like they currently do. The problem I think we have over here is it is made so God awfully difficult and expensive to open a public range. Land prices are astronomical, that being said, I’d pay a thousand bucks a year to be a member and have access to a range I could stretch out on.

F8033.png

Reactions: Rangewarrior

Ok, hear me out.

You know I’m in WI, and I don’t know or understand the use practice of public lands out west past grazing rights and fuel loads. I’m reasonably well informed as to public land use in general, for what that’s worth.

But that land is mine. And it’s yours. And it belongs to every-fuckin-body else included in We The People.

If enough of “us” want to do something on or with that land it’ll happen.

The reason most of that land out there is as unfuckered with as it is has much to do with the fact that the majority want it left alone.

Just think of all the fuckin morons building condos, golf courses and strip malls you don’t have to deal with because of that.

I’m happy to discuss my logic with those better informed than myself.

Public land use might be an interesting topic for its own thread.

Last edited:
Ok, hear me out.

You know I’m in WI, and I don’t know or understand the use practice of public lands out west past grazing rights and fuel loads. I’m reasonably well informed as to public land use in general, for what that’s worth.

But that land is mine. And it’s yours. And it belongs to every-fuckin-body else included in We The People.

The reason most of that land out there is as unfuckered with as it is has much to do with the fact that the majority want it left alone.

Just think of all the fuckin morons building condos, golf courses and strip malls you don’t have to deal with because of that.

Public land is grazed
Public land is mined
Public land is logged
Public land is farmed
Public land is fished on
Public land is hunted on
Public land is recreated on

The gov gets a revenue for activities on public land.
Some public land is closed to most use wilderness area, national parks, wildlife refuges.

Public land is open to the public.
Private land is private. You have to have permission to do anything there from the landowner.

Public land is grazed
Public land is mined
Public land is logged
Public land is farmed
Public land is fished on
Public land is hunted on
Public land is recreated on

The gov gets a revenue for activities on public land.
Some public land is closed to most use wilderness area, national parks, wildlife refuges.

Public land is open to the public.
Private land is private. You have to have permission to do anything there from the landowner.
Yes, they have their finger in every pie.
Because we allow it.

When some shitbird from Shitcago buys 10 sections in the hills outside small town WI and says “no trespassing” it may as well be public land. They’ll never lay eyes on it. Any asshole with the balls to risk it could accomplish any of the things you listed.

Do what you can afford applies to all of us I suppose.

I’m currently located in sw Ohio, and have been trying for years to find a place to shoot. I used to set up on my grandparents farm, but since my grandfather passed away that’s not really an option. Rayners is the only place I can find, but it’s over 4 hours away. Anybody know of anything in eastern Indiana or western Ohio would be greatly appreciated.

I’m starting to wish we had public land to shoot in like they do out west and it’s causing some internal conflict in my soul. Please help me find a home range where I can stretch out.
Thanks,

I live in the northern edge of what is considered SW Ohio. Let me sum it up for you: you're fucked.

There is no place to shoot long range out here, at least not the way most people think of it on this forum.

You can shoot NRA mid range prone matches at Miami Rifle & Pistol Club in Batavia, as all matches there are open to the public. If you want to join that club, there is at least a 3 year wait list. LOL.

You can find someone who will let you on their farm.....LOLOLOLOL

Your choices are Rayner's Range, Thunder Valley, or Young's Long Shot in NE Indiana.

There are no, none, zero, niguna, PRS or NRL centerfire rifle matches in Ohio that I know of. MAYBE there might be one at Southington Hunt Club which is near Cleveland...LOLOLOL

If you want to shoot long range here and not drive forever, get a precision 22LR rig. Plenty of places to shoot those and plenty of PRS/NRL22 matches around.

You're welcome.

Yes, they have their finger in every pie.
Because we allow it.

When some shitbird from Shitcago buys 10 sections in the hills outside small town WI and says “no trespassing” it may as well be public land. They’ll never lay eyes on it. Any asshole with the balls to risk it could accomplish any of the things you listed.

Do what you can afford applies to all of us I suppose.
Or when some shitbird from fucking CHINA buys up property and puts up no trespassing signs on it. I'd rather have a National Forest.

• Love
Reactions: Mr. Z
Or when some shitbird from fucking CHINA buys up property and puts up no trespassing signs on it. I'd rather have a National Forest.
Capitol “W” Wilderness is something I appreciate.

What happens to the land they (CCP) buy? Does it just sit until the seventh generation plan dictates its use?

Ok, hear me out.

Quick run down video. Doesn't explain everything but help you understand some of the situation.

Capitol “W” Wilderness is something I appreciate.

What happens to the land they (CCP) buy? Does it just sit until the seventh generation plan dictates its use?
A Chinese "food company" just bought up a bunch of land in North Dakota by an airforce base. Purely coincidence i'm sure.

You assume they never pay anyone to SSS

Buy a place to shoot on.
I just bought a few acres to hunt on. Because of the topography there’s not a spot on it to shoot much past 100. I’m glad I bought it, the deer population is off the charts. I’d like to find somebody that has flat land with less deer and we can shoot at their place and hunt mine😂

How far is this place from you? Outstanding facility going by the website.

TVP is on the same side of the state as Raynors for the OP. Not many places to shoot distance on his side. I lived in Dayton for a few years and always ended up driving to TVP or Raynors to shoot distance. Best I could get was 100 yards anywhere close to Dayton proper and that range closed down when the owner died from my understanding

got to love simplistic explanations of complicated things lol .

Quick run down video. Doesn't explain everything but help you understand some of the situation.

Texas is kind of the exact opposite of many states.
Almost all the land is privately owned, then you have a bit of Federal owned land and a bit of state owned land.
The state owned land is usually all over regulated by agencies that want to maximize income.

So for target shooting it's pretty much private ranges or nothing.

For hunting, it's pretty much pay your $$$$$ or know someone, or enjoy paying to hunt on some over harvested "public hunting lands" where you might get a couple hogs at best.

TVP is on the same side of the state as Raynors for the OP. Not many places to shoot distance on his side. I lived in Dayton for a few years and always ended up driving to TVP or Raynors to shoot distance. Best I could get was 100 yards anywhere close to Dayton proper and that range closed down when the owner died from my understanding
I’ve got a place 10 minutes away that goes to 300, but you have to set up in a different area and can only get 300. I should probably feel lucky to have that, but it’s boring.

Honestly OP, if Raynor is still doing his long range matches, it is worth the drive for you. Tom puts on a good day of shooting and I never ran into anyone that rubbed me the wrong way there. His range has a very interesting setup and you may shoot the same target set on multiple occasions, but it will be from different yard lines and completely different locations. I always enjoyed shooting there despite the 2-1/2 ish hour drive from Dayton. That being said, it was 2012-2016 era I shot there. Things might have changed, but not drastically if Tom is still in charge.

Honestly OP, if Raynor is still doing his long range matches, it is worth the drive for you. Tom puts on a good day of shooting and I never ran into anyone that rubbed me the wrong way there. His range has a very interesting setup and you may shoot the same target set on multiple occasions, but it will be from different yard lines and completely different locations. I always enjoyed shooting there despite the 2-1/2 ish hour drive from Dayton. That being said, it was 2012-2016 era I shot there. Things might have changed, but not drastically if Tom is still in charge.
He's still there. And at only $20 to shoot all day, its worth the drive. Steel all over the place. Best to call ahead though.

I don't know about all military bases, but here in AL, Ft Rucker has a privately owned weapon range open to the public, if you register your weapons with the MPs. And we have state owned hunting areas, with a few of them providing public ranges. Might be something to look into there? One other idea, a farmer that has pests/varmints may give you permission to shoot in exchange for helping rid of such.

I don't know about all military bases, but here in AL, Ft Rucker has a privately owned weapon range open to the public, if you register your weapons with the MPs. And we have state owned hunting areas, with a few of them providing public ranges. Might be something to look into there? One other idea, a farmer that has pests/varmints may give you permission to shoot in exchange for helping rid of such.
Yeah, we don’t have that kind of public land around here unfortunately, nor do we have the kind of predation that really affects agriculture. I do some coyote hunting, but they’re not really a problem for farmers these days.