• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Please Help!

Sipes.38

Private
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2020
Ohio
I have begun reloading 6.5CM recently. I am using hornady dies on the single stage, all hornady brass once fired out of my B-14 HMR and am struggling with sizing. I have set up the dies to push back 0.002” and the problem started. Then for trial purposes, I set the die to the shell holder to see if it solved the problem.

I am getting a lip towards the base and it is not allowing my rounds or brass to chamber. I didn’t notice the problem until I had 40 rounds resized but 3 out of every 4 pieces of brass are coming out this way. I’m perplexed since not every piece is coming out sized with a lip towards the base, all of which are out of the same batch and same rifle. I am using hornady unique and tried one shot as well with the same results.

Any help would be greatly appreciate.
6CA0E551-0935-4AAA-A2DF-847044A727F9.jpeg

Are you sizing with the primers in?

Can you feel the lip? Are the dies new? did you clean them first? What is shoulder measurement before, and then after you size?

Wow ... that's ugly. Clearly you're not sizing the whole case. What kind of die are you using? This almost looks like a scenario where you're using a bushing die, without the bushing.

Your sizing die is not sizing all the way down. You may need a small base sizer die. I use an RCBS small base sizer die because I'mshooting the 6.5 CM in a gasser. Never had that issue.

Could also be a die adjustment issue. Double check your adjustment procedure.

I have begun reloading 6.5CM recently. I am using hornady dies on the single stage, all hornady brass once fired out of my B-14 HMR and am struggling with sizing. I have set up the dies to push back 0.002” and the problem started. Then for trial purposes, I set the die to the shell holder to see if it solved the problem.

I am getting a lip towards the base and it is not allowing my rounds or brass to chamber. I didn’t notice the problem until I had 40 rounds resized but 3 out of every 4 pieces of brass are coming out this way. I’m perplexed since not every piece is coming out sized with a lip towards the base, all of which are out of the same batch and same rifle. I am using hornady unique and tried one shot as well with the same results.

Any help would be greatly appreciate.
View attachment 8057343
I use single stage press, if sizing with primer in ...prob not good idea, just my opinion ....but if using Hornady full dies you may be creating a like plunger affect, like a piston or if you put your finger over the top hole the die wont slide down making a vacume affect...only my opinion but I have seen it make the die not go all the way down the case then because of the back pressure, and make sure die is all the way touching shell holder, just my 2 cents worth

Were the rings there before you resized? If not, check your die adjustment and make sure you’re sizing the whole case, like everyone said.

If those rings are there on once-fired brass that hasn’t seen a die yet, you need to stop shooting that load and inspect your chamber and check your load data. You might be running too hot of a load or have something going on with the chamber. Also might do the paper clip test, just to be on the safe side.

Make sure when setting up your die, that with the shellholder on and no case, your die bottom fully contacts the shellholder and provides just a touch of cam-over pressure on the ram. This just seems like your not fully seating the ram on the empty shellholder during die screw-in.

I use single stage press, if sizing with primer in ...prob not good idea, just my opinion ....but if using Hornady full dies you may be creating a like plunger affect, like a piston or if you put your finger over the top hole the die wont slide down making a vacume affect...only my opinion but I have seen it make the die not go all the way down the case then because of the back pressure, and make sure die is all the way touching shell holder, just my 2 cents worth
It was primed on the downstroke. This is a photo after I realized the issue. It was not resized with a primer.

Make sure when setting up your die, that with the shellholder on and no case, your die bottom fully contacts the shellholder and provides just a touch of cam-over pressure on the ram. This just seems like your not fully seating the ram on the empty shellholder during die screw-in.
It was cammed over, touching the shell holder. That’s why I am scratching my head.

It was cammed over, touching the shell holder. That’s why I am scratching my head.
i have had those markings before on once fired Hornady brass, never did figure it out just figured it was the hornady brass and way it looked but did not cause any issues....got me wondering now , LOL

Just a suggestion: title posts that don't tell us anything about the subject are problematic.

• Please help!
  • HELP ME!
  • I need help, guys
  • Just some help with this
  • WTF AM I DOING WRONG?

Can you imagine if this forum was just post titles like this?

Are you sizing with the primers in?

Can you feel the lip? Are the dies new? did you clean them first? What is shoulder measurement before, and then after you size?
Yes I can feel it. The dies are new but cleaned. Shoulder was pushed back 0.002” then 0.005 with it touching the shell holder.

Just a suggestion: title posts that don't tell us anything about the subject are problematic.

• Please help!
  • HELP ME!
  • I need help, guys
  • Just some help with this
  • WTF AM I DOING WRONG?

Can you imagine if this forum was just post titles like this?
Thanks for your help.
Your sizing die is not sizing all the way down. You may need a small base sizer die. I use an RCBS small base sizer die because I'mshooting the 6.5 CM in a gasser. Never had that issue.

Could also be a die adjustment issue. Double check your adjustment procedure.
Yeah I checked and even set up according to factory knowing it would push the shoulder back further than desired to see if it would size further down. I wouldn’t think I need small base dies for a factory bolt gun but might be my only option to try now.

Were the rings there before you resized? If not, check your die adjustment and make sure you’re sizing the whole case, like everyone said.

If those rings are there on once-fired brass that hasn’t seen a die yet, you need to stop shooting that load and inspect your chamber and check your load data. You might be running too hot of a load or have something going on with the chamber. Also might do the paper clip test, just to be on the safe side.
The rings were not there prior to resizing. They were factory loaded previously so not too hot of a load. Never had this issue before. I’m wondering if it’s a die issue or chamber issue at this point.

The rings were not there prior to resizing. They were factory loaded previously so not too hot of a load. Never had this issue before. I’m wondering if it’s a die issue or chamber issue at this point.
How could we possibly tell without any measurements to go off of?

Make sure you use enough lube. If you get dents in the shoulder, that's too much lube but make sure there is enough. If you have any Imperial, that works well for me.

If you have a big chamber that allows the base of the case to expand a lot, say to .473-5”, and a sizing die on the tight side then this is what you get cuz you’re sizing too much brass at one time.

I believe you might need a small base die to eliminate this problem, and/or a thinner shell holder. I would try measuring the cases at the point of the problem if you have a small percentage causing the problem. Does the measurement match within a small +/- spec? If not them you may have a cases problem with thicker brass than the others. This would explain the 3 to four giving problems.

You didn’t specify the brass manufacturer in your post, however, I would also ensure all brass is the same length too. You might be setting the shoulder back properly, but, if the brass is long it will cause problems. I believe a good session measuring and trimming may be in order. Please let us know what you find out!

Sipes,

That crush is narrower than the web - are you using a Lee sizing die?