• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Please post your Snow Camo photos

Some cases, like heavily wooded terrain, camo that blends in with the objects above the snow is a better solution. It's easy to be skylined wearing snow camo in these situations.

Now snow camo can be beneficial in places like the Arctic, above timberline, or out on the open prarie where the snow covers everything, and you don't have natural objects like trees, rocks, etc. protruding above the snow. But again, easy to be skylined and standout.

IMG_20190210_161251577.jpg

Reactions: BurtG
Pictured is a snow camo pattern developed back in the 80's for the US Military, that was never adopted. Hard to see in the picture (poncho), but there are some very light colored shades also in the pattern. I also have a Goretex jacket that is reversible. Woodland camo on the outside, and this same Winter camo on the inside.

Anyone who has spent any length of time on the snow, can testify that it is hardly ever pure white. Only when the snow is fresh, and the sunlight, sky, and clouds can make it appear pure white, is short lived. Other factors like dust, dirt, tree pollen, etc. blown onto the snow, in addition to changes in terrain and shadowing, can make the snow multi shaded of whites, greys, and even some dark spots that are almost black.

The new Kryptek and MultiCam snow camo's are some good choices.

Some digital patterns like ACU and others actually work well in the snow when blending into natural terrain like timber and sagebrush because they more closely match the contrast.

IMG_20200806_094320951_HDR.jpg

Rick,
Thanks for posting the snow camo photos. Does you happen to know where I might be able to acquire camo over whites similar to the ones you posted above?
Thank you,
EJ

IMG_0689.JPG
IMG_0696.JPG

To agree with Alpine 338, and contrasts, there were times even I had difficulty seeing her if she stood still. When she was at maybe 100 yds. away, her direction and movement was hard to decipher, for at least a few seconds. That would be a huge advantage if it allows you a few moments to engage or take cover. She would sneak up on these poor little muskrats and give them the good news. Not sure if they ever saw her or were confused and unable to figure out what was going on. All this may not be of any help, but when I read the thread title, I immediately thought of my old girl and how she could blend in, especially in a lightly wooded area with a few inches of snow on the ground. Sun pouring in, casting shadows. Of course she didn't know any of this but I reckon it goes to show that a natural approach, if you will, may be the best bet. Good luck and good shooting!

Doug

P.S. After further thought, will you really need winter camo with all this global warming...? :LOL:

Winter is coming and it gets decently snowy out here, what essentials do you guys like to bring with you when hiking around/shooting in snow? I come from a warm climate and am not familiar with this weird white stuff that I'll have to deal with in a couple months.

Winter is coming and it gets decently snowy out here, what essentials do you guys like to bring with you when hiking around/shooting in snow? I come from a warm climate and am not familiar with this weird white stuff that I'll have to deal with in a couple months.

Learn to shoot off of a pack, as a bipod will be useless in the snow. If the snow is real light and fluffy, your pack will sink, and also become worthless. You'll have to improvise, like using ski poles, a tree branch, etc for support.

Some pics of me and my homies during mountain warfare training...

We used gauze and white electrical tape to camouflage our GAT pieces.

The man in the middle of the group pic is Sgt Maj Brad Kasal, the legend himself.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1459255262045.jpg
    FB_IMG_1459255262045.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 220
  • Snapchat-2600481594533332695.jpg
    Snapchat-2600481594533332695.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 202
  • 20200906_121730.jpg
    20200906_121730.jpg
    576.5 KB · Views: 237
  • 20200906_121944.jpg
    20200906_121944.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 196
  • 20200906_121959.jpg
    20200906_121959.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 188
Bump for an old thread. I am considering slathering my Sig Cross in white and grey for our long Montana winters. I just dig the patterns.