• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Please Rate what you like best: Mathews, Bowtech, or Hoyt

James89

Private
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2017
Planning to get a new hunting bow compound. These were the top of my list, when I tried them out:
  • Mathews Z7
  • Bowtech Destroyer 350
  • Bowtech Assassin
I also want to consider the Mathews Helium, but I haven’t yet been able to try out yet. I found the Z7 to be very smooth and accurate, and the Destroyer actually seemed to have a better response.
Do you guys have experience with any of these? What do you guys recommend?
Also – I wanted to ask, where can I find bows that are well priced?

I used to manage an archery pro shop(we sold all the name brands), it has been a few years though. Mathews, Hoyt, G5 prime interchange all three are top notch builders, get the one you like everything else is sub par. IMHO

This is like asking 3 women who's baby is the cutest... Someone might just get cut.

I shoot Mathews. An HTR No Cam right now. I like the clean lines of the Mathews, but I have no doubt they'll all shoot great.

Can't go wrong with Mathews or Hoyt, like Ford vs Chevy. I've been a Mathews guy for 20 years though, that Z7 is badass.

Bowtech had some really bad CS in the day, not sure if it has improved any.

I purchased the very first version of the SOLO CAM so you can guess where I'm leaning !
I've owned PSE , Hoyt , Oneida , Martin .
I currently shoot my OLD Mathews Signature Bow and a Reezin , I tend to hang onto what works !
I do miss my Oneida , possibly the only Bow with fewer complications than a Mathews !
THE ONLY two cam Bow that was easy to tune and never went out of time !!!!!

Matthews put all there apples in the singlecam basket and that basket is not as good as the newer ones.

I've had one Matthews and three Hoyts. I love the Hoyts. Currently I'm shooting an 06 Ultratec with spiral cams. I love this bow!

Buy the bowtech cheap. Get the barnsdale limbs! Read the baldyhunter d350 tuned to perfection thread on archerytalk.

My first real bow is a Matthews htr no cam. I shoot vap 300 with a 100 grain fixed broadhead. The bow is a 65-70lb bow and I have it maxed out. My arrow weight is around 450 and velocity over the chronograph is 265 feet per second. I was dissappointed in the low velocity at first, but I have killed 6 white tail with one shot each In the last 3 years. All were complete pass through shots. I hope I can get an elk later this month with it. I went with a 5 pin sight due to the low velocity ballistics. The nocam is great for a 50 yr old with shoulder, elbow, back issues(so smooth) but a faster speed bow would be nice for longer shots. I am confident out to 65 yards. Hope I can get broadside on an elk inside 65. I could get a little more speed if I drop arrow weight if I was only shooting deer/antelope. I am set up ideally for elk with my arrow weight. Just thought I'd add my experience for what it is worth.

Cant input on any except mathews. I have a mathews heli-m, and and really pleased with it. It is my first bow, and im not sure what else i would need with my current skill level. I have heard bowtech is good, however i have seen some cracked limb issues on facebook.

I switched from Mathews to a Hoyt carbon and really like it. If you hunt cold weather the carbon bows are really nice.
btw, the Mathews was and is a nice bow, I just don't feel like their products have kept up with their competitors.

Hoyt. I find the valley on the mathews bows to be really short. They Hoyts seem quieter too.

I had a bad experience with a bowtech. I will never go back. Mathews makes some nice bows but I haven't shot one that I liked yet. I am a hoyt fan. I always love the new hoyt offerings and have had zero problems. And I am extremely hard on my archery equipment. If it doesn't break on me, you will be fine.

Any reason you haven't considered an Elite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Energy 32. I was a Hoyt guy all my life and couldn't believe when I pulled back an Energy 32. No other bow has that feeling...not even close.

My dad was good friends with Earl&Ann Hoyt they shot Olympic style archery for many years my dad got a hold of one of the first hoyt youth bows ever made (COMPOUND) I was on top of the world .... It's Hoyt or nothing.

Was a Mathews fan, shot several when i bought my last bow... HOYT Spyder. I can see why guys love Hoyt's very comfortable to shoot an quite accurate! But pick whats you like an fits you best! Although Hoyt's guarantee is pretty good

I look at bows the same way I do my rifles, they I’m the weakest link in the equation with both. I’d recommend out of those getting the one that’s the best deal. Both are good companies with products that perform well IMHO.

go shoot whatever bows you are considering. some you'll like more than others.

as an aside, whatever you choose, ya dont to overdo it on the poundage. i shot 70 pounds most my life. recently switched to 50 pound limbs, and it was the best thing i ever did. with the cam tech out there these days, you really dont lose much of anything. so unless you are planning on elk or moose, dont go overboard with the weight. and even then, i'd feel confident enough sticking a big animal with my bow as it sits right now.

They are all good but get the Mathews. Excellent customer service and longest archery pedigree.

I have not shot the Mathews. Shot a Hoyt once long time ago.
Hve an older Bowtech (Gaurdian).

You gotta pull them all and shoot them all and see what you like. Just like golf clubs.
Any shop should be willing to put them all together and let you shoot each. If they won't, they don't want to sell bows.

Reactions: WT1
I have had PSE, Several Mathews and a couple of Hoyt’s and I really liked the Hoyt’s especially the Carbon Element in cold weather deer hunting in Canada.

See what fits you best and in your budget. I tend to buy high end equipment and usually use it for a few years and upgrade.

ArcheryTalk is a good forum and you can get great deals on bows especially from guys like me that upgrade often.

Unfortunately don’t bowhunt anymore ?

If you are going to get a new bow get a Mathews or a Mission. Mission is the old Mathews lines rebranded when Mathews takes them out of their current lineup.

FWIW I'm a newer bow shooter (<1yr) and wanted an inexpensive but durable bow for casual target shooting and hunting, and after a lot of research bought a Diamond SB-1. I immediately upgraded to a Vapor Trail drop away rest, and an adjustable single pin sight. Now, I'm not a pro shooter and haven't shot any other bows for comparison, but this bow works really well for me, and I love how you can easily adjust the draw length and weight yourself. If you're a competition 3D shooter or whatever I know you'll want to buy high end stuff, but realistically for my level of expertise and interest this bow is awesome, and with arrows and everything I'm in it for less than $600. I have a coworker with a $2000 bow setup, and his has less adjustability, shoots slower, and his groups at 40yds are worse than mine at 80yds. I know this doesn't really answer your question, but maybe it will be useful info for other guys out there...

Have shot Mathews for years...currently a z7 extreme. I always go and shoot the new bows every year and never have a good reason to buy. Mathews year in and year out feels better in the hand to me. Just my 2 pennies

I have owned and shot just about every brand with the exception of Prime but hear nothing but good about them. Up until 2012 I had been staying with Diamond and a Quest G5Primal that I still have and like alot. Then I shot the Mathews HELI M and have stayed with Mathews since, last year I bought a Halon 6 and was shocked just how much the mechanics and efficiency had advanced in just five years.
The bottom line is all of the major brands build an outstanding bow these days, archery is like golf or electronics as soon as you buy the latest and greatest they come out with something better.

I've shot Hoyt for a while now, absolutely love my Defiant. However, you gotta shoot what feels best for you. Shoot 'em all and go with the one you like.

Mathews:

1. Zero vibration
2. Quiet
3. Smooth
4. Fast
5. Rugged

Mission:

1. Fast
2. Rugged
3. Economical
4. Smooth

Can't go wrong with either brand.

I shot Bowtechs for many years. Great bows. Switched to a Mathews Halon two years ago. Smoothest drawing bow I've ever owned.

Grew up on Hoyt's and still shoot them today. But honestly, it's hard to go wrong between them and Mathew's IMO.

I run a hoyt carbon spyder turbo compound and a hoyt buffalo recurve. Really just comes down to what feels the best in your hands. Go to a pro shop and try them out.

Pse revenge 20140711_075154.jpg
PSE EVO
Target is from my first year ever shooting
My ex farther in law could do one thing right and that was tune a bow.
Oh and teach if you didn't mind being treated like shit.
Target was at 20 yards I have a lot of very long arrows at 30 yards too

I've had one Matthews and three Hoyts. I love the Hoyts. Currently I'm shooting an 06 Ultratec with spiral cams. I love this bow!
I have shot them all and currently run a Bowtech. Get the bow that blows your whistle. All of the top makers put out a good product. Fit is more important than anything.

I tried both Mathews and Hoyt at a local shop, then went to another to try a Bowtech. Bowtech was the quietest of the three and the smoothest on the release. I am now officially a Bowtech fanboy.

I own both brands now. Mathews Vertix and a Hoyt rx3. The Vertix has more than proven its worth as a hunting bow but just got the RX3. Can’t wait to get the RX3 100% setup

I switched from Matthews to Xpedition 5 years ago and have no regrets. I know it isn't in the group you specified but feel it's worth the mention. My Xcentric is the most accurate bow I've ever shot.

Reactions: diderr
I have owned them all and always go back to a hoyt. The hoyt carbon matrix with the rkt cams was the best bow ever made.

I switched from Matthews to Xpedition 5 years ago and have no regrets. I know it isn't in the group you specified but feel it's worth the mention. My Xcentric is the most accurate bow I've ever shot.
Xpedition and obsession=smoothest dual cams out there
Ibo's inflated from my experience but nevertheless, buttery smooth draw cycle

Xpedition and obsession=smoothest dual cams out there
Ibo's inflated from my experience but nevertheless, buttery smooth draw cycle
I tested mine by making an IBO spec arrow and firing through my Oehler chronograph. I used a conversion calculator to adjust for my draw length and mine was 4 fps IIRC over listed IBO speed. I had a picture thread on it over on archery talk for the short time I was on that forum.

All the top end bows are so close that it’s hard y to o say one is better than the others. T HT rt are chasing the last 1/4 of a percent. Get one and shoot it. My choice would be what a local dealer sold and serviced well.