• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Please recommend: 30 cal bullet for coyotes

HomeSlice

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2009
IN, USA
I'm mostly a paper-puncher, but we've got a problem w/ coyotes.

The bastards have taken 2 dogs, over a dozen chickens, a few cats, a goat, and 2 calves from the immediate area.

The 2 dogs were mine. This is war.

I've got a 308, 1-11" 26" Lawton repeater in a MAK kit that I use for competitions. I can't afford a new rifle, so it's pretty much this, the M14, Garand, or an AR.

I can load pretty much anything, but I've got Varget, 4895, and a little 4350, LC Match brass, and Fed Match primers in stock. I've also got some 175g Nosler CC's, but I think there's probably a better bullet.

Please let me know your thoughts.

I'm going after these things until there's none left.

Thanks,
-Slice

Re: Please recommend: 30 cal bullet for coyotes

150 gr ballistic tips from nosler

*Then lightly bury their dead bodies and the rest of the yotes won't come back..

they aren't a large or particularly tough animal I'd say shoot them with anything you can hit them with...

We used to call them into about 40 yards and turn them inside out with a 12 gauge loaded with 3" 1 shot.

the problem with that is that they don't suffer long enough =]

I thought about using a shotgun, but I think I'd rather have some more range capability.

The terrain here is flat to slightly rolling, and a mix of about 60/40% open field and second growth dense woods. I've for a P226 40 full of hydrashocks if they get in too close.

The field behind our woods is about 450 yds across and 700-800 yds long.

Thanks for the input guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A.O.R.G.S-RemiG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">150 gr ballistic tips from nosler

*Then lightly bury their dead bodies and the rest of the yotes won't come back..</div></div>

I'm curious -- why bury them?

Here are my notes,

308 Win
Factory 700 VS barrel
1/12 twist
20.5" BBL
WW brass
CCI 200
---------------------------

110 VMax, Moly'd
2.75" OAL
AA2230C
52gr - 3190 fps
53gr - 3250 fps
54gr - 3300 fps
55gr - 3345 fps, slightly stick bolt

With a 26" bbl, and loading AA2230, H335, or similar, you should see 3400-3500 fps, and minimize ricochet or overpenetration hazards.

If the 175 Nosler would do the job as good as anything else, it would have the advantage for me of not having to re-zero.

Realizing there's not varying degrees of dead, I do want to make sure I use the right tool for the job, and a lot of the competition bullets have a pretty big label stating "not for hunting" or some such.

Thanks,
-Slice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they aren't a large or particularly tough animal I'd say shoot them with anything you can hit them with...
</div></div>

^this, even an FMJ will leave a .30 cal hole through his goodies, that should be plenty.

wish I was close enough to come help. It would be tough if one got my dog. best of luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">110gr VMax.

</div></div>

there is your answer....

Anything you shoot accurately will work fine.

For satisfying destruction, try the 125 grain Speer TNT. You can get it up over 3000 fps comfortably, accuracy is good, recoil is light, and the bullet is very fragile...perfect recipe for song dog bustin'.

Sierra 110g hp. Will make a mess of a yote. Then leave it lay and shoot the rest when they come in to feed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Noah Mercy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">For satisfying destruction</span></span>, try the 125 grain Speer TNT. You can get it up over 3000 fps comfortably, accuracy is good, recoil is light, and the bullet is very fragile...perfect recipe for song dog bustin'. </div></div>

That's a pretty good way to describe what I'm after...

Thanks all
-Slice

Yeh the light pills pushed fast will give you great results.

Heres a nice .243 vs rabbit video to get your imagination wet
laugh.gif

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wGERHtb_Zw0&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wGERHtb_Zw0&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

The light v max or a heavier amax are both great choices. For totes it's not going to matter much anything from a 308 will put them down.
D

I've shot lots a coyotes with a 700 Varmint Special 150 gr Spitzer 45gr IMR4895.

I've used 165 Grn. Nosler ballistic tips with good success.

Just use the 175 nosler. I use 44.5 Varget, 215 Fed primers, Winchester brass and Hornady 178 BTHP, 2.89 Coal at 2750 turns them inside out almost.

Coyotes are varmint which means they are pests so shoot them with what ever you can Hit them with. I have even taked a couple with 208 Amax out of a .308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
the problem with that is that they don't suffer long enough =] </div></div>

Why is it that they should suffer at all? For doing what nature has designed them to do?

Wanting to protect your livestock, pets, etc is one thing. Having malice for an animal because it's doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing is another.

It's the equivalent of saying that you should suffer because you walk on 2 legs. It's nonsense and makes the rest of us look bad.

I agree

If anything people are the worst thing on this earth. Foxes, yotes, rabbits and deer havnt put holes in the ozone layer. Or blown up cities. Or put people in gas chambers etc.

In saying that, if something messes with my shit im taking it down, I just wont blame it for doing what it was made to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeh the light pills pushed fast will give you great results.

Heres a nice .243 vs rabbit video to get your imagination wet
laugh.gif

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wGERHtb_Zw0&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wGERHtb_Zw0&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

That looks like a huge rabbit.

the dogs will smell other dead dogs and avoid the area

I find the 155g Lapua Scenars work very well on coyotes.

xdeano

I wouldnt Shy away from using what you now unless you just feel like working up a new load. Personally, I'd shoot them with whatever you can hit them with as coyotes are pretty easy to kill with good shot placement. Almost all of the ones I've killed have been with a 22-250 (generally 52 grain march kings) or an AR (55 grain ballistic tips). I'd vote for either the AR or the m14 due to the quick follow up ability. Only about 25% of the coyotes I've shot have been completely still when I pulled the trigger. Plus if more than one shows up it gives you the option for multiple kills.

I've also shot a couple with deer loads for my 7mm Rem mag which kills them just as dead.

Edit to add: sorry to hear about your dogs, I'd be out for some serious blood too if one of those bastards had hurt/killed my lab.

I agree. If the 175's are what you are used to, then keep using them. Familiarity contributes to accuracy. Accuracy will contribute to the max range you can engage them at.

I have to agree that I would be pissed if a 'yote got one of my dogs, but you can't blame it for being what it is. That wouldn't stop me from eliminating the threat to my animals.

.308 on them it dosent matter what pill u use just dont miss....