• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Please recommend a good chronograph

alamo5000

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2020
I am looking to eventually pick up a better chronograph. The one I have now is ancient so I am looking to eventually upgrade over the next couple of months (or maybe Christmas). The bayonet type look good but I don't think it will work for my purposes. That said I could use my old one for pistols (even if it gives me an 'error' message more often than I like). My only question about those is can the same unit be used to attach directly to the barrel or suppressor either one, or is it typically 'one or the other'? My understanding is that you pretty much just have to pick one (but not both) mounting options.

Ideally I need one that I can use on rifles and pistols (even suppressed .22LR). Ideally I will be able to collect data as I shoot such as SD/ES but that's not a deal breaker if I can't do that. In fact it's a very secondary concern at best. The biggest thing is to gather data during load development.

My biggest thing now is the chronograph I have now is a very old optical type...so if the light isn't just right I tend to get error messages. I want to be able to get in the shade and go on about my business without the constant no read errors.

Please let me know some good options.

You want a Magnetospeed and hang onto your old one for pistol. Yes, it can be attached to either the barrel, suppressor, or several other mounting options such as the MK Machine mount if you have a rail. They even have a pistol attachment if you have a light rail on your handgun.

It's simply the most accurate and easy to use Chrono on the market. I've tried them all and the Magnetospeed is the only one I have left.

Don’t let anyone try and talk you into one of those orange gaydars.

Last edited:
Magnetospeed v3 is a top notch piece of equipment.

Reactions: RMB
I am looking to eventually pick up a better chronograph. The one I have now is ancient so I am looking to eventually upgrade over the next couple of months (or maybe Christmas). The bayonet type look good but I don't think it will work for my purposes. That said I could use my old one for pistols (even if it gives me an 'error' message more often than I like). My only question about those is can the same unit be used to attach directly to the barrel or suppressor either one, or is it typically 'one or the other'? My understanding is that you pretty much just have to pick one (but not both) mounting options.

Ideally I need one that I can use on rifles and pistols (even suppressed .22LR). Ideally I will be able to collect data as I shoot such as SD/ES but that's not a deal breaker if I can't do that. In fact it's a very secondary concern at best. The biggest thing is to gather data during load development.

My biggest thing now is the chronograph I have now is a very old optical type...so if the light isn't just right I tend to get error messages. I want to be able to get in the shade and go on about my business without the constant no read errors.

Please let me know some good options.

LabRadar and be done. It will do everything you want and more plus it’s rock solid reliable.

I’m over the magnetospeed. Get a Labradar.

And I'm the exact opposite....ask 10 people the same question...get 27 answers most likely. My biggest gripe about the Labradar is durability. My biggest gripe about the V3 is....it shifts my groups up away from the bayonet...so my groups tend to be 1" over center at 100yds...but I'm just getting an accurate speed...so could care less about my groups until a later time...and then shoot without the chrono.

Reactions: RMB
I can’t attach the magnetospeed to my barrel because of my handguard configuration. Tried the pic rail adapter and my error rate is a little over 80%. Waste of time and money, should have ponied up the difference for the labradar.

I can’t attach the magnetospeed to my barrel because of my handguard configuration. Tried the pic rail adapter and my error rate is a little over 80%. Waste of time and money, should have ponied up the difference for the labradar.

Same experience. had the Magnetospeed V3 and it was a pain in the ass. Had to constantly tighten the mounting strap, errors, POi shift and hated something hanging off the end of the rifle. Sold and bought labradar three years ago and never looked back. I use mine in the desert all the time, almost every week and never had any problems.

Reactions: NVScout
Another vote for LabRadar, I’ve had mine for several years with zero issues. (maybe the newer ones aren’t as reliable or durable)

And I'm the exact opposite....ask 10 people the same question...get 27 answers most likely. My biggest gripe about the Labradar is durability. My biggest gripe about the V3 is....it shifts my groups up away from the bayonet...so my groups tend to be 1" over center at 100yds...but I'm just getting an accurate speed...so could care less about my groups until a later time...and then shoot without the chrono.
The majority of the time I prefer the magnetospeed.

Reactions: b2lee
Thanks for all of the replies. It seems like those two are the only game in town for the most part, but I could be wrong. They are both very popular.

The idea that the magnetospeed can be hooked to a pistol is a new one to me but I did see a rail adapter that could work. To me that system seems a bit fiddly though. That said I don't run around chronographing all of my shots. I usually confirm data and move on.

The Labradar has been on my 'radar' as a possible 'want' item for a while now but I just never pursued it. When it comes down to brass tacks it's more expensive but it has more capabilities as far as letting the shooter be the shooter. If say I am practicing shooting my 22 rifle and I want to collect velocity data to see which ammo I should like best I can do that without interrupting my shooting or whatever.

I actually kind of enjoy load work up, but especially when trying new powders and so forth it makes life nice to have feedback of actual data. Unless there is something else out there the labradar might be what I ultimately spring for. It's more expensive but I expect it to last me a while.

Reactions: nn8734
I have friends with both the magneto speed and lab radar.. when I pony up for a new one it will be the lab radar unless something new/better comes out.

It's a switch that attaches to your rifle and plugs in to your labradar and senses the recoil of a shot. When it does it triggers your radar to turn on. One of the guys here on SH makes and sells one. Somebody will post up with his contact info. PM me if not and I will search for it. I'm at work at the moment.

5 years now with a magnetospeed v3. Still works everytime I use it. Attached it to all my suppressors, AR’s, pencil barrels... I want a labradar, but this thing just works.

Reactions: RMB and cruze5
I wanted a PVM-21 many years back, don’t know if they are still available. Anything at this point is better than having 4000fps or nothing show up on my magnetospeed.

+1 for the magnetospeed with the wiser mount...

i would hate it with mounting and shift but the mount makes it super easy. Slap it on with the arca mount, fire rounds, measure, take off... all components stay on the bracket and when home its hung in the corner.

Reactions: Push
+1 for the magnetospeed with the wiser mount...

i would hate it with mounting and shift but the mount makes it super easy. Slap it on with the arca mount, fire rounds, measure, take off... all components stay on the bracket and when home its hung in the corner.

Exact same setup I use, quick and easy!

I’m over the magnetospeed. Get a Labradar.

couldnt of said it better myself -- had the magneto , but got tired of setting it up , same as a traditional chrono ... labradar - point it and forget it. BTW I have a chrono (old style) new in box if you want it (if you pay shipping :)). Its one of the shoo throughs, bought it 5 years ago, used it once said f that, went to mageneto speed, now run labradar

Having had a LabRadar for a couple years, there are a few things worth noting:
  • If you shoot primarily indoors or on a cluttered range, the LR will be more finicky. So many people don't bother to read the manual - in such circumstances, try using the low-power setting, so there isn't so much scatter off objects between shooter and target.
  • If you don't order Piet's recoil trigger, I recommend ordering the external microphone and use it all the time for more reliable triggering. All my rifles are in chassis so I clip the mic to the front of the forearm. It's pretty much a requirement for rimfire.
  • Yes, the thing can be triggered by nearby shooters. Piet's recoil trigger would eliminate this issue. It's not usually a problem where I shoot - I go at un-busy times, never on weekends.
  • There is definitely a learning curve. Expect it. If you have problems, call LR, right from the range. I coudn't get mine to trigger with a .22. Three minute phonecon and all good, never another problem.
  • I won't discount those who are saying their new LRs are/were defective and others who simply can't get their unit to work for them. All I can say is mine is reliable (while recognizing its limitations/characteristics) and is an indispensable piece of my kit.

Magnetospeed.

Ever notice how Labradar guys make all those caveats and exuses for it?

"You gotta aim it just this way...you gotta make sure no one is too close to you...to use with this ammo, you have to have this trigger...you just have to learn to use all the fucked up menus...you just have to deal with the shitty battery life by getting the power pack...don't let the wind blow it over, it might break...with a muzzle break, you have to hold it (x) number of inches in front and (x) number of inches to the side...but with suppressed ammo or unbraked guns you have to hold it this (x) number of inches...you can't have cluttered terrain ahead, it needs to be pretty flat ground...BUT THIS THING IS THE BEST THING EVER, BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE TO ATTACH IT TO MY BARREL!!"

...and it only costs $600, what a fucking BARGAIN!!

Last edited by a moderator:
To each his own. Forty-plus years ago, I had discovered I enjoyed programming computers more than I enjoyed the research I was working on to build the data the computers crunched. For the next ten years - until the end of the mainframe-rules era - I made a good living writing PL/1 code.

Early on, I took a bunch of computer science classes to augment the biological sciences degree I already held. I was already working full-time as a programmer by that point, in my late 20s. My data structures class was taught by a young professor who wanted (but couldn't require) the class to use Pascal for the programming assignments. I stayed with PL/C, a teaching-language subset of the PL/1 I used every day. "But," Dr. M. would say at least once a week, "Pascal is so much simpler."

Finally I couldn't listen to it any more. Maybe it was on a Monday. Whatever. I didn't care about my grade at the moment. So, in the moment of silence after his zillionth "Pascal is so simple," I said disgustedly from my desk in the back:

"Simple languages for simple minds."

To his credit, he never made another crack about PL/C.

I've found the LR to be worth the effort to learn to use it. Others are welcome to use simpler devices that aren't so taxing.

Last edited:
Love my Magnetospeed V3. Super quick and easy to use. Doesnt take up much space in the range bag. Their Customer Service is great. They took care of me out of warranty period for a tiny issue that did not harm fit or function.

I wish it worked better on handguns but I don't chrony handguns often so its what ever.

couldnt of said it better myself -- had the magneto , but got tired of setting it up , same as a traditional chrono ... labradar - point it and forget it. BTW I have a chrono (old style) new in box if you want it (if you pay shipping :)). Its one of the shoo throughs, bought it 5 years ago, used it once said f that, went to mageneto speed, now run labradar
Is this still available?

I bought the Magnetospeed Sporter to replace an old chronograph that died on me. I love it and will probably buy the full V3 kit when the time comes. As for the point of shift on the impact, this is only with pencell barrels and the groups stay the same in size with it on and off.

Love my Magnetospeed V3. Super quick and easy to use. Doesnt take up much space in the range bag. Their Customer Service is great. They took care of me out of warranty period for a tiny issue that did not harm fit or function.

I wish it worked better on handguns but I don't chrony handguns often so its what ever.
I bought a used Labradar, and when it arrived it wouldn't arm....got an error message that indicated it had a bad board. Called LR to get an RMA and find out what it would cost to get it fixed since the serial number showed it to be a four year old unit.....$175. Given the deal I got when I bought it, having it fixed was still a deal so I sent it in. After they had it in their possession for a couple days I called for a status report. They said they had to wait another day for a part to arrive and they would be sending it back to me the next day. When I asked what the bill would be, their answer was, "We'll take care of it." From the time I sent it in 'til it was back in my hands was less than two weeks, and my only cost for the repair was shipping to them. I don't know what more you could ask in terms of customer service.

I used to run two Chronys, one at the bench and one at 100yds so I could calculate actual BC. I absolutely love not having to screw around with all that setup anymore! Labradar ROCKS!!

Pros and Cons of each, probably lend towards your shooting routines as to which best suits your needs. For me it’s LabRadar all day long.

LabRadar hands down. There is no perfect solution, but it’s the closest for about any shooting sports you want to do that I’ve used.

The V3 and the LabRadar are both great units, both have downs sides, kind of depends on your personal preference. I use the V3.

I recently borrowed both a Labradar and a Magnetospeed from a friend, tried them both, bought the Labradar.

Both were accurate, Magnetospeed was def more of a PIA to set up, especially if switching between guns at the range.

Labradar is dead simple to download the data from. ES, SD, speed of individual shots with muzzle and down range volocity and energy.

His Magnetospeed was a Sporter version with no download so I'm not sure how that works on that device.

Just courses for horses. Pick one.

Labradar hands down. Very few shot errors but I do have an issue with my Samsung Note not connecting Bluetooth. Labradar is aware of the problem and hasn't done anything to correct. Also use the JKL trigger.

On Android Bluetooth connection issues seem to be very much a matter of "jiggle the handle". I've seen everything from changing the AVRCP version to fully clearing the Bluetooth service cache and storage to toggling both of those and the order of device startup making a difference on connection. Another if using an external power pack is using a USB cable with sufficient conductor thickness as too thin seems to cause issues.

Bluetooth seems to be a "standard" that everyone uses as a mere suggestion rather than following the guidelines. Stuff is supposed to be backwards compatible and it is not.

Curious, everyone always gives the MS a down vote for "hassle to set up and install"

What kind of hassle have you people had? I can have my MS set up and installed in a minute. I keep a note book with the unit so when I find the spacer stack that works per rifle I make a note of it. My precision rifles all use the same shim stack maybe just swapping the thick for the thin rubber spacer. Otherwise cinch the strap and tighten the screw and i am done.

Every time I see a labradar at the range the users are messing around with tripods and ballast weight for their tripod and measuring tapes to get the tripod in the correct spot then they are buying aftermarket triggers and scopes so they can aim the thing and get consistent shot gatherings. Honestly they look to be about identical levels of hassle. Both are much easier than sky screens

On the JKL pic rail adapter, about how many slots does it take up?

either should be able to work well for you . good luck which ever you decide to get .

I have a Labradar coming for Christmas and I got the JKL with a pic rail mount. We will see how it goes from here.