• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Please recommend optic for 20" 308 AR style rifle.

TDH

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2008
metro Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I have a POF P-308 with the 20" fluted barrel. For those unfamiliar with the rifle its an AR styled semi-auto 308 with a Mike Rock fluted barrel. I've got it set up with a nice bipod up front and monopod on the rear with the geieselle trigger. I will most likely shoot from 100-600 yards with the rifle on a local range. If I shoot beyond 600 yards it will more than likely be with my 50 BMG.

The Leupold Mark 4's are at the edge of what I want to spend but I'm flexible on the price if something is close to that price range.

I would like to use one of the larue throw lever mounts for it. If anyone has a recommendation for a matching mount for the optic they recommend I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Re: Please recommend optic for 20" 308 AR style rifle.

NF 3-15X50, Mil/Mil with Zero Stop... you can even mount it flat and it will work without the Larue mount and cant, or you can match it to a Larue mount as noted on Larue's site.

I have a IOR 2.5x10x40 FFP with mp8 reticle that would sit nicely on their if your interested I am about to put it in the for sale section. let me know if your interested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a IOR 2.5x10x40 FFP with mp8 reticle that would sit nicely on their if your interested I am about to put it in the for sale section. let me know if your interested. </div></div>

I'm familiar with the Leupold Mark 4's as I have a few. I have the 4.5-14x50 Mil-Dot on one of my Barrett's that I plan to upgrade.

I have also heard good things about the NightForce optics, but no absolutely nothing about IOR. If you want to shoot me a pm with some details I will definitely consider it.

Get the night force 3.5 x 15 x 50. You will love it.

As has been said, get the NF. They've got great glass and are sensibly built. I have mine in MOA/MOA, but mil/mil works great as well. Once you've owned one, you'll likely never buy anything else, especially considering the price is only slightly more than a Mark 4.

-matt

NXS1550ZSMR-MilDot

Is that the NightForce you guys are recommending? 3.5-15x50 zero stop mil dot mil radian illuminated? I don't know if I need the illumination but I didn't see it without it.

Is it available for less than 1740? I can get the 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 for around 1000. I'm just trying to justify the price.

Thanks

Every NF comes with Illumination, its standard.

There is no comparing a Leupold to a NF, at least not based on my experience and opinion. Leupold is not the same company people remember from 10 years ago, they are light years behind the curve, and frankly it's my opinion based on my experience with the line they are putting out a sub-par product resting on a reputation no longer justified.

Thanks for all the input guys. I guess I'm just going to have to budget accordingly. I had budgeted about 1200-1300 with mount. I found a shop that offers it with the Larue mount for a slightly discounted price. If any of you guys have a source for where to buy it I would definitely check them out. I'm currently looking at MSTN. I think they want 1837 with the Larue mount and zero stop.

Also can someone explain zero stop to me?

All the optics I have owned have either been ACOG's or hunting rifle scopes that were installed when I bought the rifle. A majority of my rifle firing has been in yearly qualifications in the military and firing my own rifles with aperture sights or CQB type Eotech/Aimpoint sights.

Wsas in the same boat as you a few weeks ago with the same price range!

I was looking at:

Nightforce 3-15x50
IOR 3-18x42 FFP SH Edition
US Optics ST-10

i went with the IOR, any of those would probably be an upgrade from a leupold. I have no person expeirence with any of them but the IOR and i love it, ive only looked through a MK 4 8.5-25

good luck!

I think a good second place to nightforce would be a zeiss conquest.

Sightron SIII 3.5-10x44 mildot. No need for anything else for up to 600 yard shooting. Cost less than 1/2 of the Nightforce, and will do everything you need it to. Outstanding optics, mechanics, and finish.

American Defense Manufacturing Recon-S mount.

Total packacge wil run $825 shipped.

Scott

I would say scrap the nightforce along with leupold and go with the sightron SIII 6-24x50 Mil scope. You won't kick yourself later for spending to much. Plus look through one and you will be sold. Sightron is the way to go!

No to cause a stir, but what is tactical about the Sightron besides being offered with a Mil Dot reticle.

It's pretty old school, doesn't have tactical turrets, zero stop or any features other than price appealing to a tactical shooter.

I'm sure it's a great hunting scope, but a tactical scope ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TDH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a IOR 2.5x10x40 FFP with mp8 reticle that would sit nicely on their if your interested I am about to put it in the for sale section. let me know if your interested. </div></div>

I'm familiar with the Leupold Mark 4's as I have a few. I have the 4.5-14x50 Mil-Dot on one of my Barrett's that I plan to upgrade.

I have also heard good things about the NightForce optics, but no absolutely nothing about IOR. If you want to shoot me a pm with some details I will definitely consider it.
</div></div>

If you are going to upgrade your 50BMG scope then take the Mark 4 from the 50 and put it on the AR. Then buy a NF 5.5x22x56mm and put that on the 50BMG. Then you will have great scopes for both guns! That model NF is made esspecially for the 50BMG. I would do that or just get a NF for the AR.

Ok if the guy is going to comment about a scope then why did he not do any research into the product he speaks about? Sightron has Target Knobs, side focus and mil dot retical along with a 30mm tube with great light gathering. I wish if people are going to try and add then why don't they take their old school comments and place them back in the dust collecting jar near their teeth.

Oh wait he didn't see that those were tactical turrets becouse they were covered under the caps. Plus the scope has 100 moa windage and elevation. The knobs are 1/4 inch and work without any lose play. I have a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 F1 First Focal Plane and the glass is no better.

I had an S3 6-24MD and I was not impressed with the knobs.
They were small, the labeling was small, and if I recall correctly they were what.... 14MOA per rev and 1/4MOA increments?
What's to like about the knobs?
The knobs are MOA but the reticle is mil, and second focal plane at that. Side-parallax is not so important to me.

I would look at a Falcon before the Sightron.
NF is certainly worth a look with FFP, matching knobs, and zero stop options.
I went with a USO, but there are some nice choices out there.
Just my opinion.

Why is it that most of the US OPTICS with mil dot have moa knobs? Dose that make them a bad optic also?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why is it that most of the US OPTICS with mil dot have moa knobs? Dose that make them a bad optic also? </div></div>

Because the owner would have spec'd it out that way as they do have the option to match them up.....

I understand that, I was making a point. Point being that just becouse a scope has mil dots with moa adjustments dose not make it a lesser scope. I am sorry you didn't understand the sarcasm.
I was not actualy asking a question.

It's an option some choose because it is what they have learned and have become comfortable using.

When I hear well experienced tactical shooters make suggestions they almost all agree: starting out with a scope with matching adjustments and reticle subtension makes good sense. While I don't see either mil or MOA as superior to one another, mixing the two is a conversion issue that can be avoided.

It's not the same thing, but it kind of like a car company issuing only KMH speedometers to be sold in the U.S. market.
Why learn to convert between one system and another when you have other choices?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No to cause a stir, but what is tactical about the Sightron besides being offered with a Mil Dot reticle.

It's pretty old school, doesn't have tactical turrets, zero stop or any features other than price appealing to a tactical shooter.

I'm sure it's a great hunting scope, but a tactical scope ? </div></div>

Frank,

No stir on my end. The OP asked for an optics recommendation for a .308 AR for use of shooting "100-600 yards at my local range". I didn't see where he was going to compete or beat the snot out of his scope. I also saw no mention of him wanting a "tactical" scope. 600 yards is not very long range for the regulars here.

I thought the NF would be overkill in this situation.

The Sightron is indeed "old school", but it is well made. It has a tube 1/10" thick and has excellent mechanics and optics. It has capped 1/4MOA knobs but they are target type with the caps removed, and has lots of reticle travel (120MOA in the 3.5-10x44 and 100MOA in the 6-24x50). For hunting, paper punching, bench resting, making small little groups and practicing "old school" come ups with the knobs or milling, it's a fine choice. It is not state of the art like the NXS or Premier or other full-out tactical scopes. It won't be an advantage in tactical competition. But it will do it's job by tracking, holding together, and letting the shooter see his target very well. If matching knobs/reticle and/or FFP and/or zero stop is not a requirement for the individual purchaser, I don't see the need to guide them to the $1600-$1800 NXS.

From my perspective and experience as a dealer, guys are ALWAYS looking for lower cost, quality alternatives in scopes that might require them to compromise in a couple of features but will still meet their <span style="font-style: italic">real</span> needs/desires. I thought in this case the Sightron SIII was a viable offering.

Scott

Well I think I would have to agree with Liberty Optics on this one, sorry for any harsh remarks.

He did however state he was looking at leupold mark 4 which has tactical turrets. SO I thought he was looking at tactical scopes with turrets.

Thanks Scott,

Nice post... in the end it's the shooter's choice, and he never gave a dollar value, so I feel the cost was not an issue. When that is the case, I'd be hard pressed to recommend something that wasn't keeping with the best possible value and practice, which in my opinion was the NF.

10-4 Frank, I think we are on the same page. I don't mind explaining myself, keeps me honest
grin.gif

Take care,

Scott

Thanks for all the input guys. I was leaning toward the Leupold because I have one and the price is somewhat reasonable. I was looking to spend no more than 1500 with mount but if the NightForce is worth the cash I would rather spend it now than regret it later.

It probably won't get beat around but if need be that I need to use it for a defense weapon, it would be nice to know they have a reputation for taking a beating.

I'm stuck deciding between the mil-dot mrad and the NP-R1 with MOA adjustments. I have only owned one mil-dot scope and the remainder have been hunting scopes and I'm not sure how I feel about the mil-dot compared to the NP-R1.

If I go with the NP-R1 am I going to regret it later? What about the MLR?

The NXS is an excellent choice, and will serve you well.

As far as reticle choice, IMO, if your going MIL/MIL go with the MLR reticle. MOA/MOA the R1 is an outstanding reticle.

Does the ocular rotate with power adjustment on NF 3.5-15x50?

Thank you,

Go with mil dot if thats what you are used to shooting unless you want to learn another retical. Nightforce NP-R1 is easy to get the hang of. Great scope which ever way you go.

THH. You may want to check out the package deals on optics and mount from LaRue. I recently got the N.F. 3.5-15x50 with the LaRue Tac mount for a little over $1600. Non zero.

Larue mounts are the best, thats why I am getting rid of my XTR's
and replacing it with the larue quick mount setup. I have Larue mounts on every other rifle thought I would save a little doe but then I can't take anything but those mounts so off with the others and doing what I should have done in the first place but a larue mount not burris.

Go to Liberty Optics and buy the 2.5-10x42 <span style="font-weight: bold">FFP</span> illuminated Mil knobs scope. It's worth every penny and Scott is The Man when it comes to customer service.

http://www.libertyoptics.com/