• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Please recommend scope for . . .

mefizto

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2014
. . . hunter field target (HFT).

Greetings all,

I tried to inquire on more dedicated fora without much luck. Then a friend recommended this forum, claiming that the members here are knowledgeable about scopes. I hope that the request is not out of line here.

What I believe is a must have:

1. Adjustable objective (AO) or side focus (SF), because the distance to and dimensions of the targets is unknown and is estimated by focusing the scope. Ideal close focus would be 10 yards, or a good depth of field to see a small kill zone (0.7 inch) at that distance.
2. Repeatability and environmental condition insensitivity of elevation adjustments. A pellet does not have flat flight path between the closest and farthest (55 yards) targets, so frequent adjustments are de rigueur.
3. Some markings - dots, hashes, on the wind-age part of the reticule, for reference when compensating for wind

Desirable:
4. Contrast and good focusing, see 1 above.
5. Variable optics. Although the maximum allowed magnification is limited to 12x (although a higher magnification scope may be turned down). However, there are conditions, e.g., mirage, when lower magnification may be advantageous.
6. Target turrets.

Do not care (unnecessary):
7. AO vs SF.
8. Illuminated reticule.
9. Light collection, 40-44 mm objective is sufficient.
10. New - in fact, I will wait for a good deal on used.

Do not know:
11. FFP vs SFP

Based no the foregoing, I have been thinking about, e.g., Nightforce 3.5-15, US Optics 3.2-17x ,or something of that ilk, but the information regarding close focusing is difficult to find. However, I am open to any other suggestions. Although I am of the "buy once, cry once" school , I would prefer to keep the price at or below $1500. Thank you for your time.

Kindest regards,

M

In the "buy once, cry once" category, you might take a look at March scopes. Their side focus goes as low as 10 yds, their tactical scopes should meet all the physical requirements on your list regarding reticle, turrets, quality, etc., and their 1-10 zoom range scopes are in your price range (particularly if Kelbly's still has their sale going on).

So, is this for an air gun? Because I know a number of high end rifle scopes are not air-gun safe. Also, you might have to look at air gun specific scopes to get a parallax adjustment that will go to under 50 yards.

Hi maverick2,

thank you for the recommendation. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be any sale, but I have placed the scope on a my list of recommended scopes.

Hi Martin,

you are, of course, correct in that spring powered air guns are extremely hard on scopes. However, and I forgot to mention it, this is for a pre-charged pneumatic (PCP), which have no recoil to speak of.

Kindest regards,

M

The SWFA SS 3-15x42 would be a great scope for that application, I would think. It will (side) focus down to 7 meters. It has matching mil turrets and reticle, is Front focal plane, and has over 36 mils of elevation travel. Glass is very nice for its price point ($699) and is a very rugged scope with lifetime warranty. Great value.

Hi Crosshair,

thank you for the suggestion, added it to my list of scopes to look at/for.

Kindest regards,

M