• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Please Watch.Helihunting New Zealand. Help Stop It

Re: Please Watch.Helihunting New Zealand. Help Stop It

So it's OK for people to be airlifted for skiing and other recreation big money sports but a guy can't do it to save a little leg work to whack a couple animals?

Someone always crying and sniveling over something. I would have rather tried for one with some artillery and a good spotting scope but that's just me.

Listen buddy do it in your own country if you want. Its Our Country OUR Land and OUR Rules. why should we New Zeland hunters Be classed as unethical because you foreigners like to pay do this in our country. englighten me, Is this practice allowed free regin In the Great US of A?

Re: Please Watch.Helihunting New Zealand. Help Sto

Would have to agree that the poor animal does get the rough end of the stick in this deal.

I don't think there is anything wrong with getting a lift to the top of the hill to then go hunting, after all NZ has some bloody steep hills, but that is very different to herding the animal first to exhaustion... that is just not how you play cricket...

The video kinda reminds me a when you see a crim being chased through the streets by a police chopper.

I think NZ should go for gold and protect the amazing hunting and country it has, not just for kiwi's (I am married to an amazing one) but for all to enjoy.

After all it is their country.

Just doesn't seem right
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: striker nz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Listen buddy do it in your own country if you want. Its Our Country OUR Land and OUR Rules. why should we New Zeland hunters Be classed as unethical because you foreigners like to pay do this in our country. englighten me, Is this practice allowed free regin In the Great US of A? </div></div>

Not saying it isnt wrong but you're blaming only the USA? I'd say they are either NZ pilots, or they have one helluva long helo flight from home.

AND you're bickering because you're being lumped into a group, yet you feel it right to blame every American?

I emailed the ministers at the email address posted at the end of the video.

That is extremely unethical hunting to me JMHO.

I dont see a problem with being dropped off by helicopter in some remote mountains to hunt tahr but to chase them to exhaustion then get out and shoot them is totally bogus. If you can call yourself a hunter after that then you have some messed up morals.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creeter2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: striker nz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Listen buddy do it in your own country if you want. Its Our Country OUR Land and OUR Rules. why should we New Zeland hunters Be classed as unethical because you foreigners like to pay do this in our country. englighten me, Is this practice allowed free regin In the Great US of A? </div></div>

Not saying it isnt wrong but you're blaming only the USA? I'd say they are either NZ pilots, or they have one helluva long helo flight from home.

AND you're bickering because you're being lumped into a group, yet you feel it right to blame every American?

</div></div>

First of all, Im not blaming every American, just the ones, including the SCI members who think ethics towards animals dont have to apply when you have money. I said tell me is this practice allowed in the USA? Because as far as Im aware this practice is not allowed in the USA

You may not have singled out americans, but you generalized using "foreigners".... Are these not NZ pilots?

i see what you call it, but i fail to see where the hunting is involved, thats just shooting.

Here in the U.S.A. we have to buy tags that allow us to kill a specific number (could be just one) and type of animal and may include of a specific age and with a specific firearm or stringed weapon. This all costs money that goes back towards the preservation and protection of said animals. Some consider archery to be cruel. If it culls a certain animal and proceeds are used for animal preservation and control while at the same time adding to a local economy, how exactly can you complain?

Is it some sort of free for all in NZ? Do you not have rules or regulations regarding hunting and or poaching? (Illegal taking of game)
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: striker nz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Listen buddy do it in your own country if you want. Its Our Country OUR Land and OUR Rules. why should we New Zeland hunters Be classed as unethical because you foreigners like to pay do this in our country. englighten me, Is this practice allowed free regin In the Great US of A?</div></div>

Well y'all just need to have it set up like they do in AK.

You cannot hunt/take an animal the same day you fly.

End of story.

Fly to the top of the Mtn.

Set up tent and glass what you're after and make a plan.

Get up the next day and go get it.

Did it like that when I went to Ketchikan for Mtn Goat.

But I can tell ya this. Flying in didn't make it an easy hunt!

And no, I didn't get a Goat the next day.

I chased them for ten days on two different mountains before I connected.

This "practice" is being driven by the fact of foreigners (the market is mainly americans) paying massive money to (yes) NZ helicopter operators to unethically take animals in this way. There is no money that goes back in to the preservation and management of these game animals. This activity has been going on for years "illegaly" yet our Department of Conservation(DOC) who manages our public land here in nz refuses to prosocute operators selling this activity and (DOC) are now trying to ramrod us in to legislation that would make this activity legal.

One of the consevertors of our department of conservation is making an appearanece at the SCI convention in Reno to promote the activity of HeliHunting later this year.

At the end of the day, these operators are raping and pilaging our public lands of game animals for there own personal profit with the blessing of DOC.

over here we only requrire a permit to hunt deer no tags.
Still doesnt mean we have to slaugther very thing in sight unethically.

(sorry if i come off slighty stand offish. I hate seeing my country go this way)

So i guess what I'm getting at is, This practice wouldn't be possible without NZ pilots doing this of their own will. The problem not only lies with foreigners, but also from within.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creeter2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: striker nz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Listen buddy do it in your own country if you want. Its Our Country OUR Land and OUR Rules. why should we New Zeland hunters Be classed as unethical because you foreigners like to pay do this in our country. englighten me, Is this practice allowed free regin In the Great US of A? </div></div>

</div></div>
I agree with what was said above but the truth is chasing the animal down then shooting is sick. I also agree with above where someone said lift them to the top and let them hunt not from the helicopter. Hope something is done about it.

That what im saying. Our own Departmet of Conservation is allowing an activity defined under their own laws and legislation as at the current point in time as illegal to continue.

The pilots wont stop and the Department wont stop them.

They will stop when there is either no more tourists or no more animals.

Folks that hunt with dogs will disagree with the sentiment that chasing an animal to exhaustion is not fair play. I wouldn't be too hard on the lazy 'foreigners'. They are merely taking advantage of the ridiculous laws in your country. No flying and hunting on the same day is a wise law if you're concerned with ethics. Many Americans are shooters. Some Americans are hunters.

Seems to me you have easy access to documented proof of breaking the law. Perps pictures and film along with tag numbers of the helo. Why don't you use different tactics and go after the helo operator and owner for conduction illegal activity in NZ airspace? I will tell you someone is making money you just need to find a way to have laws enforced. Kind of the mentality of jail the drug addict but let the dealer go if you ask me.

Above all a camera is your best weapon when it comes to poaching and crime that does not involve imminent human peril.

sounds like a problem with your guides. get your CO's to do there job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: striker nz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...This activity has been going on for years "illegaly" yet our Department of Conservation(DOC) who manages our public land here in nz refuses to prosocute operators selling this activity and (DOC) are now trying to ramrod us in to legislation that would make this activity legal...our department of conservation is making an appearanece at the SCI convention in Reno to promote the activity of HeliHunting later this year.</div></div>

Sounds like a problem with your government and hunting outfitters. Seems like a two-sided problem, but the video is looking for somebody to blame.

That is about as much "fair chase" as the kill floor of a packing plant. Just in case one person on this board can't figure that out, EVERY ANIMAL THAT ENTERS THE KILL FLOOR DIES!

There is a thread about this over on 24hr campfire. One of the posters tells about one of the "guides" (no insult to real guides intended) and how proud he is of the 100% "success" rate. Personally I think he is scum and shouldn't show his face in public.

Didn't the US at least try to prosecute the travel agent that set up a hunt in Russia because someone did something very much like this?

See there Striker. We are more concerned about hunting violations in "other countries" than your own government in your own country.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffbird</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What a loser. Make it illegal, and prosecute the helicopter pilot and guide as well as the hunter.

If an American hunter is violating a foreign country's hunting or game laws, then he or she most likely is in violation of the Lacey Act here in the US. It is a serious federal crime here, and yes they do prosecute people here for it.

http://www.fws.gov/le/pdffiles/lacey.pdf

</div></div>

Very Interesting.
thanks for that "The Mechanic" and "jeffbird"

the only way that it would be a lacey act violation is if it is some thing that is imported that can not be. even if it is poached in another country they have to prosecute them there first to make it a lacey act violation. precident was set with the guys that went to russia and hunted from the heli legal there not here so they tried to prosecute them and they were found not guilty.

striker nz, email sent to ministers office. Hope it helps.

The good old U.S of A, the world's 911..... They need to deal with their own crap and their own pilots.

I am not reading all the arguments here. That is BS. I am all for hunting. To hunt game in that way isn't close to fair or fun IMO. In MT we are the same as AK. No hunting for X amount of hours after flying. No radio, cell phone, ect, communication between hunters about game location. Fair chase rules when it comes to game. Money shouldn't buy the best animal.

I have other comments I will keep off the net about that.

hogs are a pest like pdogs. that is the way i look at it.

After seeing some of the damage they can do here on the forum I would agree completely. I never knew they could be so destructive.

Game Animal/Land Management vs doing it for fun or because you can afford to.

I got this from hog hunting thread:

[quote"Nevermind, they emailed me back quickly saying that those hunts they can't legally sell to the public.. oh well"]

Another reason we in NZ are opposed to Helihunting is because of the noise pollution and the effects on other public land users( trampers, fishermen,sight seers etc). Would you like to come over here to see the beautiful sights my country has to offer only to have the views and peaceful tranquilty distroyed by helicopters buzzing around all day. The noise produced dropping people off in to our backcountry is minimal compaired( helicopter is in dropped off and straight out most times) to the continual noise of a operator trying to furfill the orders of a fat paybook waving client.

This is sick~ tahrs are one of the most awesome creatures that live on some of the most challenging and beautiful landscapes, and should be hunted with respect.

I understand killing deer in some of the more remote forests of NZ with helihunting, as the growing number of deers are a big threat to the native forests. but tahrs?

That's just not right. What happened to the spirit of hunting? the days of hike and chase necessary to tag that prize bull?

It's sickening to see people that don't know the first thing about hunting and can't even hold a rifle straight slaughtering animals just so they can mount it in their game room and brag about them.

Striker you need to talk to your legislators. If they are unwilling to take action to stop such horrible acts, campaign to the public, and elect those who will introduce the laws needed. Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Acttacus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It's sickening to see people that don't know the first thing about hunting and can't even hold a rifle straight slaughtering animals just so they can mount it in their game room and brag about them. </div></div>

Funny you should say that. I have been told a discusting story regarding a texan that wanted to shoot a trophy tahr. The chopper company crated it and was going to release it for him to shoot, until he refused to shoot it unless it was still in the crate.
mad.gif

Frikin Laffin....so I guess me jumping into a pool of trapped carp with a Ak-47 and 10 magazine, blasting carp as quick as I can change mags until the the there was carp remains splattered everywhere and smoke rolling of the wood forearm grip would be considered poor sportsmanship????????????????????????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: striker nz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Listen buddy do it in your own country if you want. Its Our Country OUR Land and OUR Rules. why should we New Zeland hunters Be classed as unethical because you foreigners like to pay do this in our country. englighten me, Is this practice allowed free regin In the Great US of A? </div></div>

maybe YOUR country should be able to enforce YOUR countrys rules then and not whine to us. and no it is not allowed here because OUR country can enforce the rules and regulations we set forth. Seems like a internal problem that you are just tring to place blame on some one else.

Going to blame crimes in NZ on the USA as well?

Right or wrong, its happening in YOUR back yard, so you deal with it and dont blame the hunter for taking advantage of what YOUR country allows any hunter to do.

Typical Liberal telling other people what they should or should not be doing based on what they believe is right.

Fair ethical hunting ends with your short magnums, gore-tex, carbon lined suits, and telescopic glass. Everything else is where your line in the sand is in relation to another persons line.

NZ seems to be a beautiful place. The land, the animals, and the laid back gun laws. I expect it to get raped as we enter a global seamless world. Which is a pity. But make no mistake about it. The people in NZ will be the ones selling tickets, not mine....

Being from NZ and seeing that sort of carry on is just sickening....to think our taxes go to the people looking at making that leagal
frown.gif

Those pilots are no better than the paying customer...may be worse as does the client really know what he is in for.....but for me I would pull out of the hunt If someone had me chasing animals until they stopped
smirk.gif

If this becomes big over here it will be impossable to go for a hunt without some clown flying in and spooking the Tahr you have just climbed hours to get too.....and trampers will void the area as who wants there wilderness experiance with choppers hounding the hills......Seriously not happy

The more that submit a comment to the contact on the vidio the better...I have and have done other submitions

As tourist hunters that do it right I am sure you would be put of hunting in NZ if your genuine hunt was disturbed by these clowns...tell them so
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sickbugs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i see what you call it, but i fail to see where the hunting is involved, thats just shooting. </div></div>

Well then I guess I shouldn't be allowed in the woods cuz unless I'm out with my bow I'm just shooting too. I killed 4 deer in the last month. non of which were hard shots or required "skillful" setting up of my stand. All shots over 100 yards and I just sat and waited for the deer to show and and blasted them. The last 2 deer I killed were both shot in less than 10 seconds. It was "just shooting" cuz I wanna fill my freezer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fair ethical hunting ends with your short magnums, gore-tex, carbon lined suits, and telescopic glass. Everything else is where your line in the sand is in relation to another persons line.

NZ seems to be a beautiful place. The land, the animals, and the laid back gun laws. I expect it to get raped as we enter a global seamless world. Which is a pity. But make no mistake about it. The people in NZ will be the ones selling tickets, not mine....
</div></div>

X2

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocHoliday13</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sickbugs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i see what you call it, but i fail to see where the hunting is involved, thats just shooting. </div></div>

Well then I guess I shouldn't be allowed in the woods cuz unless I'm out with my bow I'm just shooting too. I killed 4 deer in the last month. non of which were hard shots or required "skillful" setting up of my stand. All shots over 100 yards and I just sat and waited for the deer to show and and blasted them. The last 2 deer I killed were both shot in less than 10 seconds. It was "just shooting" cuz I wanna fill my freezer. </div></div>

But would you chase an animal until it can't run away in a chopper then step out of a chopper and shoot it
wink.gif
then be proud of it......I am certainly not against filling the freezer....not much of a hunt but its nice to have meet in the freezer....just wouldn't do it like in the vid!

As another person put to me, we are trying to fight these heli operators and DOC by tooth and nail to not allow our back country to be degraded in such a discusting way. It is an abomination that is being forced on to us regardless of what we do. You can all carry on with the like of "get over it" and such, but at the end of the day most NZders look to the USA for ethics, animal management and such(even politics), yet what it boils down to is you are the driving force behind a market that <span style="font-weight: bold">will</span> destroy New Zealands back country all for the bragging rights of killing an prized animal with out having to spill one drop of effort for it, other than money. nothing comes back to us( the nz public) for the use of <span style="font-weight: bold">our</span> land or the taking of <span style="font-weight: bold">our</span> game animals.
Im pretty sure you would jump up and down if your country allowed tourists to degrade your hunting systems you have in place to the level of what our country soon will be. An over sized andventure park for lazy inept incompent hunters to score a trophy.

if you look to us for ethics and management maybe a set of balls would be in order to so you can enforce the laws you have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you look to us for ethics and management maybe a set of balls would be in order to so you can enforce the laws you have. </div></div>

The problem is the laws we have are not well defined and are being pushed to the limits....I dont give a rats about the bulls taken (well allmost) its more the trips that get distroyed that you have invested your time and dollar to be there and get these pricks fly in and hover chasing the animals from your nose that gets up my nose....The areas Tahr inhabit are not local to me So it is either a 3 day drive or plane flight and hitch a ride with others....then to have ruined is just #*@!!!
mad.gif

I would not like to come from the states and have it happen to you

typical country like this you can drive most of the way and just walk the rest...it is not that hard..
pblot32.jpg

My 12yr old Daughter is not that fit or tough and I need to work on my fitness but you just take your time...its not hard, you can fly camp pretty close to if you want to stay out....great type of hunting with more time spent glassing than climbing
smile.gif

Note added
That is is a couple of hundred yards from a great hut that is awesome and usable by anybody on a donation base
cool.gif
....but cant be booked so you have to have tents ...just in case
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Bee 950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Flare guns usually keep helicopers at bay.

Just saying...</div></div>

That is the problem..I am not for that type of action..but someone will end up loosing there cool...The powers that bee want to charge a trophy fee and can only see the money....If they heard that most of there prospective clients are dead against this tupe of hunting they might open there eyes

They have become deaf to us hunters a bit as we have been at them for a long time about the poisens they use...or the way they use them to control some animals and are blind to the side effects they have..

IE they arial drop poisen where Kea are (native parrot)to kill other pests and people report a drop in bird number and its ignored...then after lots of preasure they catch some Kea and put transmitters on there legs and do another drop and some of there birds die from the poisen....but they blame it on the area as tourists feed the birds all sorts and so they would not normaly eat the poisen
mad.gif

I don't know, my gutt feeling tells me that somehow heli-hunting is just wrong.

I understand the necessity of heli-pest control thou, thats a whole different story, and the more efficient the method, the better. That Texas heli hog shooting video ROCKS!!

But for hunting, I've always enjoyed the chase part better than the shooting. Especially when I hunted in the gorgeous country of NZ. 98% chase and 2% shooting is what I've always thought of what hunting is, and not 20min sitting on a chopper eating burger king while the pilot chase down and exhaust a game for you to shoot.

plus if you take the time and learn the art of chasing game, you'll learn to appreciate em animals alot more. Plus it's cheaper and always good to spent more time in the field.

my 2 cents..