• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Pledge ?

BANG...ping

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2017
Why don’t we say the Pledge of Allegiance at matches? Or a moment of silence for the fallen? The last few matches I have been to have done neither.

Bang

sounds like you need to shoot the National Matches at perry.

Reactions: Bender
Ask the MDs I’ve been to some that say it and play the anthem before every match

Pledge? National Anthem? Remember the fallen? I do not think that is asking much.

Bang

Pledge? National Anthem? Remember the fallen? I do not think that is asking much. If we do it for a hockey game, I think it has a place at a shooting event.

Bang

Meh, as mil/le for quite a long time, I don’t care one way or the other.

Saying a pledge or taking a moment of silence means nothing. You either are loyal to the country or you’re not. You either respect the fallen or you don’t. Saying it out loud doesn’t change that either way.

I've shot a lot of matches where we start the day off with either the pledge or anthem. However, having run several matches myself, I can honestly say that the pledge of allegiance is the last thing on the match directors mind first thing in the morning right before the match starts.
Meh, as mil/le for quite a long time, I don’t care one way or the other.

Saying a pledge or taking a moment of silence means nothing. You either are loyal to the country or you’re not. You either respect the fallen or you don’t. Saying it out loud doesn’t change that either way.

So if you were killed in the line of duty, would you want people to show up at your funeral? To show respect? Pray? Fold a flag?

Bang

every meeting at our local gun club always starts with the pledge , and i am dam proud to do it . you could always do it your self you can't control others actions but you might start that trend by doing it . I remember when they stopped doing it in school others stopped i still stood and recited it at least for my last two years in high school because it was my choice .

So if you were killed in the line of duty, would you want people to show up at your funeral? To show respect? Pray? Fold a flag?

Bang

The last thing I served for was recognition of any kind...if I wanted recognition I woulda joined the seals to land a few book deals and tv interviews lol.

All joking aside... Who cares my loyalty is to the Constitution.

Being LEO myself, if I died, what do I care?? I’m dead....

If you do not care because you are dead, then stand behind your comment. Write a letter to your commanding officer demanding that there be no formal LE ceremony and no honor guard for you should you make the sacrifice. It is your right to decline it. Then post the endorsed letter here.

Bang

If you do not care because you are dead, then stand behind your comment. Write a letter to your commanding officer demanding that there be no formal LE ceremony and no honor guard for you should you make the sacrifice. It is your right to decline it. Then post the endorsed letter here.

Bang

Man, I don’t know what crawled up your ass but do yourself a favor and dig it out. Worry about yourself, not what others do or don’t do. You’ll be much happier in life.

Man, I don’t know what crawled up your ass but do yourself a favor and dig it out. Worry about yourself, not what others do or don’t do. You’ll be much happier in life.

So is that a yes or a no?

The intent of this post was to bring awareness that many matches I have attended do not say the Pledge of Allegiance, or play the national anthem. I hope to see it more.

Just finished a match full of nothing but LE and Mil shooters. No Anthem, no Pledge. Not one of us cared. I dare you to question any of their patriotism. We have way more important things to worry about. You need to get over yourself. Trying to compare someone’s funeral to a game with guns? Really?

I love the fuck out of this country and will die for it but yeah I’m there for one reason. Play a game...with guns. That’s my focus.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
00835E9A-4B43-49C2-9CF5-28B4B617404C.jpeg

I was at a match this weekend, the pledge wasn’t recited and a prayer wasn’t prayed. Although a whole bunch of veterans were competing, Not a single fuck was given.

Told to me by a Disabled Veteran MD.

...Matches should not be used to influence or force someone to do something, like making everyone do a pledge of allegiance.

I personally don't have a problem with it, but I tend to agree. I've been to matches where we had Foreign Nationals in the shooting group (German and Canadian), and it's awkward for them, and annoying to watch those Americans who stupidly stare at them wondering why they're not participating in the pledge of allegiance or national anthem.

Now if someone got up and started singing The Star Spangled Banner with electric guitar, I'd be all over that.

Last edited:
Whether it be gamers, negligent dischargers, the RO badgerers, the tacticool guy, mil/le, etc., the one thing I don't ever question is the patriotism of all individuals involved. I don't think saying a pledge makes you any more or less patriotic; action not words kind of thing for me. I'm guessing the fallen heroes are just as pleased with us making steel ring while we exercise our rights they protected as they are with a moment of silence.
I do think after match banquets are a good time to honor the fallen and to be thankful for what we have.

The intent of this post was to bring awareness that many matches I have attended do not say the Pledge of Allegiance, or play the national anthem. I hope to see it more.

Wonderful thing about this country. Nobody has to do a damn thing.....

That being said, I’m not opposed to doing either.

Reactions: Alpine 338
Sure, it would be nice, and Ive been to a few matches that have played the national anthem at the start of the first day; it was a nice touch. But as a vet having the anthem played means little to me and I dont need it to be played to make me feel special. I honor my dead friends in my own way and I know they arent hurt by people not prolonging a match.

Side note, the fancy mil funerals are more for the family and friends than the individual.

Last edited: