• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pls recommend spotter for paper targets at 200-300 yards.

762libertarian

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2012
My father got me some nice optics and I'd like to return the favour. Well, partially at least.

He's not the kind of gun owner who stacks up on high magnification scopes and he does not own a spotting scope. I'm figuring a nice spotting scope would really help out on his range trips... The main purpose of this spotting scope is to spot bullet holes on targets out to up to 300 meters (in decent conditions). Milling reticle is not required. In fact, he'd consider it a detriment if it had a reticle in the center of the view. He uses laser rangefinders. Angled eyepiece is probably a good thing. Weight is not an issue. This scope won't be carried up any hills, just from the trunk of the car to the bench at the range.

I don't use a spotting scope either so I'm really in new territory shopping for one.

What's a good baseline for a spotter for this use? Most anything from, for example, Bushnell? I'm thinking 15-45x with a 60 mm or larger objective. Do I need to avoid their cheaper ones and go for a mid range Bushnell? They have a bunch at 200-300 dollars and I'm thinking those won't have the necessary clarity, but that the Legend or Prime series of scopes will. What about the Vortex Diamondback? I've read threads where people ask if the Diamondback can spot holes out to 600 yards, but dad won't be shooting farther than 300, so that's not really an issue.

One extra bonus is if it's not made in China. I don't mind stuff made "overseas", but there are perfectly good optics manufacturers in Japan and the Phillipines, no need for me to buy from a so called "People's Republic".

Last edited:
What's the price limit? From my experience, every time I go to a course, it's ALWAYS a Swarovski scope. But I have heard good things about the Bushnell forge scopes.

But I'm interested as well from other members.

I have plenty love for my father, but he's not getting anything Swarovski until I get a couple of promotions and pay raises.

I don't know what budget to set. Nobody I shoot with uses a spotting scope ( I use a rifle with a K624 for spotting). If the job can be done with a 400 dollar scope then I'm happy. If I need 1200 bucks then I'll ask a brother or two to pitch in.

Basically I'm looking for a spotter that can pick up bullet holes (6.5 to .30) at 300 yards on a decent day. It does not have to be good enough for 500 yard bullet hole spotting through mirage.

personally , I would just get a scope that allows you to see further and beyond .It's far better to have and not need the extra mag than pay for and still not have .though shot cams can be used out well past past 1000 yards and and cost 400 hundred or so that is pretty cheap as far as cost .

I do not expect any shot cam to have the same longevity as a spotting scope. Batteries, wires and a smartphone app.... one of those will fail or disappear within a decade. A spotting scope will last longer.

Is it not feasible to get a decent spotter for 400-500 bucks?

There are worthwhile offerings from Konus under $350.00 that will do exactly what you're looking for. Our pleasure to discuss this with you, 516-217-1000, if you have a few minutes

Is it not feasible to get a decent spotter for 400-500 bucks?

You'd think, but I didn't find that to be the case when I was shopping. You have to really lower your standard of "decent" to be happy in that price range. Having said that, in this range your best bet is to find a big objective (80 - 100mm), with 60x or more magnification, and know going in to it that you'll never zoom past 40x because it's like looking through wax paper.

Sorry, I really don't mean to take the wind out of your sails. But I was frustrated by this exact problem. And the real kicker is that I have a $350 fixed 36x riflescope that shows 22lr bullet holes at 200 yards MUCH better than a $500 Cabela's 20-60x spotting scope.

You'd think, but I didn't find that to be the case when I was shopping. You have to really lower your standard of "decent" to be happy in that price range. Having said that, in this range your best bet is to find a big objective (80 - 100mm), with 60x or more magnification, and know going in to it that you'll never zoom past 40x because it's like looking through wax paper.

Sorry, I really don't mean to take the wind out of your sails. But I was frustrated by this exact problem. And the real kicker is that I have a $350 fixed 36x riflescope that shows 22lr bullet holes at 200 yards MUCH better than a $500 Cabela's 20-60x spotting scope.
No, I thank you for sharing your experiences. I think I'm holding my horses for now. Christmas time is not nigh.

real-men-use-a-spotter-60.jpg