• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PMC Brass

flagg888

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2008
East Northport, NY
Just a quick question for you guys out there in the know.

I just purchased my first AR (.223) and I was wondering, if I buy PMC loaded ammo just to play with will the brass be decent to reload afterward?

The reason I ask is I reload for my .308 WIN and I have some strong opinions about brass. For example I personally think Winchester brass for the money is the best out there, then going high dollar Lapua is the stuff I would rather use for the extra bucks.

So as far as PMC goes, I have zero experience with it loaded or not, and want to know what you guys think.

P.S. Merry Christmas!!!!

Re: PMC Brass

I've re-loaded some PMC a couple of times so far with pretty good results. I did have one case separation but I believe it was more due to my pushing a pretty hot load with 77 gr. SMKs.
I'm with you that I have had good success with Win and Lapua but for 1x/2x fired PMC used for match ammo (especially at a lost brass match), I wouldn't hesitate using the PMC. More firings than that, I'll use it for practice.

I have found the PMC to be quite a bit thicker than Winchester or Remington. In 22-250 the case capacity is far less with PMC than other brands. Other than that seems to be very good brass. Have some in 223 that has been reloaded 4x going on 5 and still holding together well.

You will find the 223 brass will have off-center flash holes. It is not on all of them, but it is often enough to really piss you off.
I throw all PMC in the scrap bucket. Too many broken stems on my FL dies.

I just processed 1500 of them. I broke a couple of decapping pins at first but it was more from not having them perfectly centered. To center them tighten the nut when the pin is in the flash hole. This is on a dedicated decapping die. After setting the die correctly, I never broke another pin. These were all crimped primers. So at least the ones I have seem to have centered holes. These came from bulk loaded ammo purchased from Palemetto Armory.

I've loaded plenty of the PMC .223 brass and it seems fine to me. As already noted, it does have less case capacity, so be careful if your loads are warm.

yeah it seems a fair amount of ammo has off center flash holes these days. I got by this by getting a Lee Decap die. toughest little set up I ever saw. Supposed to have a lifetime warranty.
Another thing I have found that screws things up is crud in the back of the shell holder that keeps the case rim from going all the way to the back. I keep a dental probe tool just for cleaning out the groove.

I have seen PMC .223 that has a military crimp. Unless you want to have to swage the primer pocket, make sure it is not the military stile pocket.