• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pocket Knives, Assisted Opening Folders

Magstang1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2010
Michigan
It's time to pick up a new EDC knife.

I've been carrying a Kershaw Blur with a Tanto blade for the past couple years. It has served me well, but is starting to show a fair amount of wear. That knife has now been moved to my work gear kit.

Now it's time to grab a new every day knife. Since I have one solely for work purposes, this will most likely be a lighter duty knife, but I still want it to be capable when the need arises.

I have giant hands. No mini knives allowed.

Criteria:

Made in USA
Assisted
Folder
3" minimum blade ( or darn close to it )
$100 ish price range. Probably $150 tops.
No auto ( I am not Leo or .mil )

Interests:

ZT 350. Looks like a solid workhorse of a knife. Maybe a bit big due to the fact that this will be an everyday knife. Comparable in size to the blur, so I'm not opposed to it. If I was buying a new work knife, this would probably already be purchased.

Benchmade Torrent 890BK. Manly sized, yet small compared to the ZT 350. I really like the deep carry pocket clip. A bit dressier than the other choices. I do like to go out into the world looking like a presentable human being occasionally. The smooth handles look a bit slippery.

Benchmade Barrage 580BK. Somewhere in the middle of the previous two choices. Fairly trim as compared to the ZT 350, but with slightly more aggressive handles than the Torrent. Unfortunately does not have the deep carry pocket clip.

Benchmade Emissary. Have not looked too far into this one. It seems to be on the upper end of the price range, yet has the features I would like as far as size, pocket clip and blade type.

One additional note is blade type. My previous blade was serrated. It occasionally came in handy as a saw, but some of the teeth got bent, and was a bitch to try to sharpen and reshape. I'm thinking smooth blade for this one.

Ok. Lets hear it. What say the hide?

Thanks.

Ugh... Wrong forum... Mods please move.

Re: Pocket Knives, Assisted Opening Folders

I've been carrying a ZT350 for a couple of years. The problem with the knife is not the size but more the fact that it is relatively heavy. Fortunatly I rarely wear anything other than Wranglers anymore so it is not an issue. On the rare occaison that I wear dress slacks anymore I am wearing a sports jacket and the 350 is on the waist band in an appendix carry.

I need a one handed knife and the 350 replaced three Benchmade autos. The Benchmades were lighter due to alloy handles but were not nearly as reliable openers as the 350. You often read a reviewer saying "and I'm hard on a knife" and I'm another one. Most of my belt knives are customs that I have, variously, run over with double gang disks, chipped breaking the pelvis on elk, broken using as pry bars, bent and or broken the tips using the knife to dig rocks outta fence post holes, used as screw drivers and every other misuse available. All winter I carry the 350 in the pocket of my chore coat and it is subjected to similiar misfortunes on a daily basis. To date no failures.

The ZT warranty is as good as any in the industry. The dealer that I bought it from told me that if I ever damaged it to just bring it in and he would replace it and deal with Kershaw when he went to Portland. Most sevicable folder I've ever owned.

I'd also throw the BM 520 into your consideration. Built like a tank with agressive scales to boot. Not a dress knife by any means, but if you want just a tough all around EDC it fits the bill in spades.

Take any of the axis lock knives from BM. If you will take the time to tweak the pivot just to the point of having no side to side play, you can flick these open with more speed than a BM auto will fire.

Just another option.

I Ike the leek, it's just a little too small for me. I have big mittens

The presidio looks nice, it made it to my 50/50 list. I decided against it due to no assist.

Thanks for the input so far.