• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

POF 308 14.5" complete with pics :)

alpha6164

Minuteman
Oct 3, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
Owning a few precision bolt guns and an FNAR that have served me well, i was looking for something more compact in the 7.62 range. Since most i will be using my AAC-762SD can at some point, i definitely wanted a piston setup. And looking at several options POF was the only clear choice.

I ended up choosing the 14.5" version and topped it off with NF 5.5-22X50 along with Bobro mount, Matech rear sight, Magpul front BUIS, and a Burris FastFire II on top of a Daniel Defense rail that is offset 1 O'clock mount which looks beautiful. Thanks to the folks at Mile High shooting, i was also able to purchase an Atlas V8 bipod to finish things up. I have not shot the rifle yet for groups, but i had no problems hitting a 10x10" steel at 500 yards with milspec 7.62. I also did about 2 mags worth of CQB work from 7-40yards with the Burris FastFireII red dot and it worked beautifully. This to me is a perfect compromise between having decent magnification along with not losing speed for close up work. You can see from the pics, that the 1 o'clock offset position allows you from drive the gun without having to pop your head up. All i do is from my normal shooting position to tilt the gun slightly and the red dot just is right in front of you without any change in your cheek or head placement. This to me seemed faster than my 1-4x setup because i did not have to grab a ring and change the power from 1.0 to 4.0x when i suddenly needed magnification.

This week coming i will do extensive chrono testing with my hands loads, factory and 147gr 7.62NATO and some precision shooting. I have no doubt that this rifle should be a sub-MOA rifle. Here are a few pics i took this morning. Here are some pics:)

DSC00795.jpg

DSC00794.jpg

DSC00791.jpg

DSC00790.jpg

DSC00789.jpg

DSC00788.jpg

DSC00787.jpg

DSC00786.jpg

Re: POF 308 14.5" complete with pics :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enmerdeur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice setup.

I take it from your FastFire setup you shoot left handed. </div></div>

Nope. Why would you think that? When i am shooting the red dot, i roll the gun left but still shooting off my right shoulder.

Looks to still be right handed shooter.

Why the big glass on top of a CQB type rifle? Looks like your headed the opposite way of the rifles true role, weight.

Nice rifle!

A few questions if you don't mind. I'm considering something similar in the future.

How much does it weigh ?
How's the balance ?
Have you tried taking the bobro mount on/off yet ?
Have you tried shooting weak/support side ? If so, how's the red dot for that ?
Lastly, did you just say suppressor and didn't have the common courtesy to post pics ?!?! :)

Please post chrono/load data. Very interested.

I thought really long and hard and after comparing all the options and the only difference between what i went with vs. something like a 2.5-10x type scope was about 10oz. Even the lighter lower mag scopes are in the 20-22oz range. Also the NF 3.5-15 and 5.5-22 are pretty much identical give or take an ounce. Once i decided that i was going to have a dedicated red dot for CQB work then there was no reason to skimp on the magnification.

This rifle as you seen in the pics with bipbod, empty mag, etc etc weighs 11.5lbs. That is the same weight of a pretty much stripped LMT 308. Because the rifle is still short and closer to the body, the balance is still very nice. For a pretty much do it all rifle it is perfect. This kind of reminded of the thread about the if you could ONLY HAVE ONE RIFLE and god forbid if there was a fire and i had to run out of the house or SHITF situation, this would be what i grab and run out. It has the capability to do close up work and stay supersonic to 800-850yards.

dvdt,
The Bobro mount is the cats ass. I have Larue on every single one of my ARs and the Bobro is on a different level. At the range i took it off when i was sighting in my BUIS and put it back on and off at was still hitting same points of impact on steel at 500 yards. As soon as i get chrono data i will post it here cause i have not been able to find any chrono data from the 14.5" POF here. Some data are on POF's website but not very complete.

nice setup man. How come none of your babes are modeling with it? heh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enmerdeur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice setup.

Nope. Why would you think that? When i am shooting the red dot, i roll the gun left but still shooting off my right shoulder. </div></div>

Just seems counter intutive to have to cock the rifle to one side to acquire the red dot plus have to deal with hot brass flying in front of your sight picture.

Seems simplier to just have it on the left side of the rifle so just a small head movement can put you on target.

Also the way my POF 308 ejects brass the FastFire maybe in peril.

I'm just sayin'...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks to still be right handed shooter.

Why the big glass on top of a CQB type rifle? Looks like your headed the opposite way of the rifles true role, weight. </div></div>

Definitely set up righty.

Its on a Bobro-it can be there when he wants to go the 1000+ that that little CQB stick is capable of
grin.gif

Nice setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enmerdeur</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enmerdeur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice setup.

Nope. Why would you think that? When i am shooting the red dot, i roll the gun left but still shooting off my right shoulder. </div></div>

Just seems counter intutive to have to cock the rifle to one side to acquire the red dot plus have to deal with hot brass flying in front of your sight picture.

Seems simplier to just have it on the left side of the rifle so just a small head movement can put you on target.

Also the way my POF 308 ejects brass the FastFire maybe in peril.

I'm just sayin'... </div></div>

The rifle is rolled the exact same way as this video by Matt Burkett. If muli national 3-gun champion does it this way it should be fine. I have fired it and the brass flies straight over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wshebeGT7k

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The rifle is rolled the exact same way as this video by Matt Burkett. If muli national 3-gun champion does it this way it should be fine. I have fired it and the brass flies straight over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wshebeGT7k </div></div>

Sure looks cool firing it that way.

Everybody has there own style I suppose.

You are going (maybe already do) love your POF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enmerdeur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Sure looks cool firing it that way.

Everybody has there own style I suppose.

You are going (maybe already do) love your POF. </div></div>
Have you done much firing through an MRD on a scoped semi? The 1:00 mount has so many benefits compared to mountinf a dot above the primary optic, and the idea of mounting at 11:00 for right handed shooters of course makes the shooting happen from a completely unnatural and poorly supported position.

The "sure looks cool" comment leads one to believe that you are lumping it in with "gangta glock" shooting, which couldn't be furhter from the truth-the 1:00 position when done right places the optic directly over the bore when the rifle is rolled inte shoulder pocket, keeping proper cheekweld and support fundamentals intact. Gazing over the scope or raising the rifle outward and upwards to use the other side is counterintuitive and unsupported.
But you're right-to each their own, but I prefer hits....

Personally I would mount the MRD further forward on the handguard, or many like them all the way back by the FA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you done much firing through an MRD on a scoped semi? The 1:00 mount has so many benefits compared to mountinf a dot above the primary optic, and the idea of mounting at 11:00 for right handed shooters of course makes the shooting happen from a completely unnatural and poorly supported position.

The "sure looks cool" comment leads one to believe that you are lumping it in with "gangta glock" shooting, which couldn't be furhter from the truth-the 1:00 position when done right places the optic directly over the bore when the rifle is rolled inte shoulder pocket, keeping proper cheekweld and support fundamentals intact. Gazing over the scope or raising the rifle outward and upwards to use the other side is counterintuitive and unsupported.
But you're right-to each their own, but I prefer hits....

Personally I would mount the MRD further forward on the handguard, or many like them all the way back by the FA. </div></div>

Yeah my AR-15 has a DMS scope with FastFire setup on the left side. Basically I can fire from my scope with my right eye and then pretty much close my right and open my left and I am in red dot heaven.

That being said I have been ruminating on the above setup and that in the video (the one in the video where it is mounted higher by the scope looks more practical IMO) and it looks like that could give a better field of view over what I am currently doing.

Nice gun. I killed a deer with a POF 308 two years in a row. They have really made a nice weapon in their gen 3 line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enmerdeur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That being said I have been ruminating on the above setup and that in the video (the one in the video where it is mounted higher by the scope looks more practical IMO) and it looks like that could give a better field of view over what I am currently doing. </div></div>

I think the video is playing trick on you. In the video the red dot is not attached higher up by the scope. It is attached to the top rail using Matt Burkett's mount that he has designed for that purpose. It attaches to the top rail and places the red dot at the 1 o'clock position. The height of the red dot is no higher than the Daniel Defense mount on my rifle. The DD attaches to the side rail and Burkett's attaches to the to rail. That is all. Here is a picture of the Burkett mount you see in the video
smile.gif

1119.jpg

alpha6164
Is that your roaming the land full of zombie rifle? Nice set up bro. Mine is a 20" barrel. Compact enough to maneuver, but long enough to reach out to 1K.

DesertHK said:
alpha6164
Is that your roaming the land full of zombie rifle? Nice set up bro. Mine is a 20" barrel. Compact enough to maneuver, but long enough to reach out to 1K. [/quoe]

Pretty much:) I wanted to have a heavy caliber, gas rifle that was a do it all and this pretty much fits the bill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^That is the biggest flash light i have seen</div></div>

If I had a dime...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moadster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^That is the biggest flash light i have seen</div></div>

If I had a dime... </div></div>

LOL. I bet
smile.gif

UPDATE:

Took the rifle out today to do some chrono testing. It was 38degrees here in florida. The following rounds were tested:

Federal Gold 175= 2389,2395,2405,2382,2399
HSM 175gr= 2388,2393,2397,2408,2402
South African 147gr 7.62Nato= 2456,2443,2435,2429,2447

My hand loads:
SMK 175gr, Varget 44.0gr 2.810"= 2425,2423,2425,2418,2429
147gr M80, Varget 45.0gr 2.810"= 2436,2439,2429,2441,2437

I am not sure how these velocities would change from 38degrees to lets say 70degrees but they seemed about right. The only series that threw me off were my 147gr hand loads were not any significantly faster than my 175gr with 1.0gr less varget. My only assumption is that with the 14.5" barrel the extra powder doesnt really help much since it doesnt have enough barrel to propel the bullet any faster. I may need to try another powder that gives me more velocity than varget for such short barrel.

I shot some 1/2 size steel at 300 yards and it is a solid MOA rifle. It made a little 2.5-3" group at 300 yards. Next time i am going to stretch it out to 700yards and see how we do
smile.gif

Thanks for the update.

I have been doing some research on the whole angled MRD, canting the rifle thing. Man am I behind the times!

I love the look of the 14.5" model. If only you didnt have to have a pinned FH... Great gun, nice setup.

Sweet rifle! Im jealous I think thats going to be my next purchase, All I have to do is sell A NIB DPMS mark 12 and I think Im going to get a POF like yours except with in 5.56! So jealous right now!

175's vs 147's with similar powder charges will always pop out faster-you get more pressure pushing a heavier pill down the tube, and pressure=velocity.

For the 147's you may need a zippier powder. If you know someone with quickload ou can have them run the numbers to find what powder will give you a full burn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moadster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^That is the biggest flash light i have seen</div></div>

If I had a dime... </div></div>

you would probably have enough to go buy a bigger flash light
grin.gif

Any updates on accuracy/grouping?

Factory ammo?

Handloads?

I wonder if the Surefire suppressor adaptor and the overlap suppressor would fit on the end of this barrel...they say you need 2.15" measured back from the threads for clearance....