• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

POF 308 Range Report

rommel500

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2009
SLO,CA
I have had this rifle for about a year now and I have finally started working on some handloads. I haven't seen too many people post info about their handloads with POF rifles so I thought this would be useful for some people.

I had been trying to use Varget and Sierra 168gr Matchkings but really didn't have much luck getting anything better than 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards.

Now I know what you are thinking that it's the shooter and not the loads, but I know that is not true since it was doing 3/4 MOA on a regular basis with Federal GMM and Hornady 168gr Match factory loads.

So finally I got some Reloader 15 and some Hornady 168gr A-max's and had some success.

Specs are:

POF 308 Rifle w/ 20" barrel
Atlas v7 bipod
Nightforce NXS 3-15x50 w/ zerostop & mrad turrets

Winchester Brass
CCI BR2 primers
41gr RL-15 powder
168gr Hornady A-max
2.800 COAL (2.176 at the ogive)

Below is the rifle and one of my solid sub MOA groups with this load -

RL15.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

Re: POF 308 Range Report

Yeah mine was the same. It would shoot hornady match 168 great at maybe 1/2"-. It did not like the FGMM (1.5"). I shot my best with the hornady. I got some hand loads to work but not as good as the hornady. It also like being on the tripod but not a sandbag.

Very nice. Have you cronoed that load? It has to be very slow with 41 grains of R-15. My AR-10 T shot awesome with 44 gr of R-15 and 168 A-max's. 41 grains has to be around 2500. I would start working and I bet you find another hotter load that shots as well. Great rifle by the way. I am seriously considering getting one also.

I got a box of the new 178gr Amax's with the stacked primers we will see how much more this round tightens up in my killer POF 308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hitman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice. Have you cronoed that load? It has to be very slow with 41 grains of R-15. My AR-10 T shot awesome with 44 gr of R-15 and 168 A-max's. 41 grains has to be around 2500. I would start working and I bet you find another hotter load that shots as well. Great rifle by the way. I am seriously considering getting one also. </div></div>

Yeah I am sure its a light load, but my range is only 400 yards max so it really doesn't bother me. I will try working up on the loads a little though... At least the brass will last a little longer!

My varget loads went from 40grs all the way up to 43.5 grains and really had not luck with accuracy better than ~ 1.5"

I just finished a load for mine:

44.5gr Varget
Federal 210M
Lapua brass
155 Berger VLD's
2.790 COAL

Mine was sensitive to seat depth...but I hang that more on the VLD's than the rifle. I am going to chrono and set up my ballistics for it this weekend. It shot the 175 Bergers pretty good but the 155's were better with a best group of .75"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got a box of the new 178gr Amax's with the stacked primers we will see how much more this round tightens up in my killer POF 308 </div></div>

do you mean staked? stacked would mean there is more than one primer?

thats how they get the <span style="text-decoration: underline">super</span>formance