• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

POF 416?

sjbryan308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2010
Oxford, NC
I am thinking about selling my current direct impingement .223 AR and replacing it with a POF 416-14 in NP3. I would love to get some feed back on this rifle, performance, accuracy, etc. Any insight will be much appreciated positive or negative.

Re: POF 416?

I have owned 2 POF rifles and they have been very accurate and reliable. Use the 415 for prairie dog shooting mostly. It likes the Fiocchi 40 grain ballistic tips.

You should describe how you want to use the POF 416, it shoots 308 and is very different than an AR shooting 223. Or did you mean you were interested in a POF 415?

I own 2 POF---P308 and the P415. I enjoy every aspect of these weapons: accuracy, material quality, service and ease of maintenance.

For any real accuracy, these do like the expensive ammo.

To clarify what One-Eyed Jack said, POF does have .308 rifles as well as 5.56 rifles. Rifles chambered for .308 are called P308. Rifles chambered for 5.56 are either P415 or P416. The difference between the P415 rifle and P416 rifle is that P416 LE/Military rifles with full auto capabilities while the P415 is the standard semi auto rifle.

I own a P415 with a hunter rail and I love it. You just do not need to clean it (though I recommend it), it can function perfectly without lube, it does not have the weaker spring systems that many other piston driven systems have, and can fire steel cased ammo without jamming (at least in my experience.) It has an electroless coating that basically extends the barrel life to 20,000 rounds and beyond. Also it has a heat sink for a barrel nut which dissipates heat fantastically.

One thing that is easy to like or hate is that the rail system is raised slightly higher than normal ARs so if you want back up sights I would recommend getting Troy Ind. Micro sights or something like them.

The two biggest issues with anything POF, including the P415, are that they are heavy and pricy. P416 at 16.5 inch barrel length weighs about 8.2lbs. I bought mine for approximately $1800 (with military discount and tax added in.)

Overall opinion: I love the weapon, but it is heavy. If you can afford it I'd recommend it. Also I would recommend working out your arms.

I also own 2 POF's--a 415 and a 308. Great rifles, accurate and fun to shoot.
+1 for the weight. If you are going to carry buy a wide sling.
Cost is relative to expectations. If you want reliability and accuracy you are going to have to pay the price.